Sunday, October 9, 2016

Out of our way (2016-10-09)

Sunday Oct . 9 2016    28th Sunday (year C)
2 Kings 5:14-17  • Psalm 96   2 Timothy 2:8-13 • Luke 17:11-19 •           
 [__01__]  Last Sunday – October 2nd – was our Rosary Altar Society Communion breakfast, a lovely morning event made possible by the teamwork and cooperation of the women in our Society.
          Our Rosary Altar Society prays for you, for all the priests of Our Lady of Lourdes and for the Sisters of Charity. Our Rosary Altar Society members take beautiful care of our altar linens, meaning the cloths, purificators, corporals, towels used by the servers, the priests, deacons the Eucharistic ministers at Sunday Masses.

[__02__]    In these and many other ways, the Rosary Altar Society members go out of their way for you and for me.
          And, the members of our society always welcome new volunteers who might help in the washing and care of our altar cloths at church, in their annual Tricky Tray fundraiser, in their many missions and tasks of prayer and service.
          To them we can be very grateful.

[__03__]    At the breakfast last Sunday, we were pleased to welcome Father Paul Donohue from the Comboni Missionary Fathers as our guest speaker. The Comboni Fathers are a religious order formerly based in Montclair – now in Newark. These priests have helped out here with Daily Mass several times of week for many years here at Lourdes.
         Father Paul touched on a lovely moment in his own childhood and autobiography. At this time, the young Paul was being disciplined – and interrogated Law & Order style - by his parents after some troublemaking incident.  
          What  recall from this episode was that both of his parents wanted the truth. Each had a different way of finding, discovering the truth. They certainly went out of their way, extended themselves mentally, spiritually.

 [__04__]   Can I go out of my way? Will I go out of my way?
          In the Gospel, this Sunday, we receive the message that our connection with Christ is possible, especially when we go out of our way, off/away from our regular path.
          Was this not the experience and the model of the one (1) Samaritan leper?  This 1  Samaritan – to whom Jesus refers to as “the foreigner” – returns to Jesus to express his gratitude.
          This Samaritan goes out of his way and makes himself known easily to the Son of God. Meanwhile, Jesus would have had to contact the Postal Service or UPS for the tracking numbers of the other 9 thank-you notes.
          This 1 Samaritan lepers went out of his way to express his gratitude and is closer to Christ as a result.

[__05__]  Will I go out of my way?
          Will I go out of my way even if there is no guarantee of success or welcome?
          The Samaritan leper had not known – could not have known – how would be regarded or received by our Lord and Savior.
          He returned anyway, despite the customary distance and alienation between the regions of Judea and Samaria, and between the Jewish people and Samaritan people.
          Can I – will I – go out of my way even even though I may be on someone’s no-fly list, or no-talk list, though I may fear rejection or failure?
          Sometimes, we need the assistance of others to go out of our way, to find our way, to find our true path, calling,  vocation.

 [__06__]  When I was a senior in high school, I went for an interview at a college in Pennsylvania. And, for this particular visit, a family friend – and student at the college – had arranged for me to meet the Director of Admissions. I still remember his name, Peter van Buskirk.
          I remember Peter’s name because we never actually met each other for the interview. And, that became the problem. 
          I had gone to the Admissions department and building at the appointed time, checked in, told them my name. There was no co-pay. I just waited.
          I sat down for a few minutes until my name was called. Then, I had a nice conversation with an ASSISTANT director of admissions – not Peter, the DIRECTOR.
[__07__]    Later, as we returned home in my father’s 1997 Chevrolet, and took Route 30 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I wondered aloud – to my mother and father – why I had not met with Peter.
          Then, the interrogation began.
          “What do you mean? You met with the wrong person?”
          I had not thought this was my fault.
          My father was questioning my motivation, making a calculation of all the tuition checks he would be writing.
          I think I expected my mother to intervene and defend me. My mom was helpful, however, in a different way, helping me to understand what had happened, to reflect on it and to avoid this in the future.
         
[__08__]   Yes, today, years later I am grateful. Both of my parents went out of their way for me.
          However, at the time, I sat in the back seat wondering when this line of questioning would conclude. Are we there yet?  Oh.. only 2 and a half more hours. Good.

[__09__]  In this case, yes the lesson of the 1 Samaritan leper would have been meaningful and helpful to me.  The Samaritan does not follow the crowd, sitting passively waiting for his name to be called by just anybody.
          He does not follow the crowd, but goes his own way.
          Also, while enjoying a renewed and healed physical condition, he finds great joy in giving credit to his healer, to the miracle worker.
          And, then, with his healing complete, he was no longer restricted to an exile or a quarantine. He could go where he wanted.
          But, for him, it is important that he first give thanks to Almighty God for his new destiny rather than go to any particular destination.

[__10__]  You and I are also called to praise and give thanks for the miracles and of direction and re-direction we receive in our lives.  To recognize that, for example, the gift and miracle of

MERCY – that we are called not only to seek mercy so that God may forgive us our trespasses ..but so that we may also show mercy, to forgive those who trespass against us.
          In this, we go out of our way.

We are called to recognize the gift and miracle of our FREEDOM.

FREEDOM – is something we can take for granted. But, this is also a gift given by God in our conscience to decide right from wrong good from evil.   We are called to pray and give thanks for those who have helped to choose LIFE over DEATH, GOOD over EVIL, HONESTY over DISHONESTY.  These are free choices and sometimes not the popular choices.
          We, at times, are called to go out of our way.

We are also called the recognize the gift and the miracle of:

LOVE – that we are called both to give and to receive love, to acknowledge those who have loved us, and to love those whom others might not acknowledge, whom others might ignore.
          To go out of our way.   [__fin__]  

No comments:

Post a Comment