Sunday, May 14, 2023

Navigation (2023-05-14, Easter - 6th Sunday)

 ___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___  

___ Click Here for Video of Mass ___ 

2023-05-14 – Easter 6th Sunday - 

Acts 8:5-18, 14-17   1st Peter 3:15-18    John 14:15-21     

TITLE: Navigation

[_01_] This sounds like something that would only happen on television in fictional situation comedy – a person driving a car and using “navigation / GPS” so carefully and conscientiously listening to every voice command and taking every turn to find the shortest possible route. While doing so, the person drives his car directly into a body of water, into a lake.

          It actually did happen on TV.

          If you are a fan of the TV show, The Office, perhaps you remember the disoriented “regional manager  Michael Scott”  and the other character Dwight doing exactly that and driving into a lake due to confusion over GPS navigation directions.

[_02_]   Your brain – and my brain contain a navigation system much like satellite navigation with maps and charts.

          One scientist noted that over the centuries, "[we have] have invented and utilised many different navigation tools such as maps, compasses and latitude and longitude … Nature is far ahead of us and seems to have developed these tools inside our heads for our survival."  (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080911103906.htm)

          In other words, even before there was “navigation GPS” there was something inside of you to find your way.

          On the other hand, if you have never been to a place before, have not needed assistance, directions? I certainly did.

[_03_]   Recently, I was surprised– to realize that my GPS navigation on my phone and my phone signal had completely stopped working.

          I was traveling to a location where I had never ever been, going to stay at an AirBNB house that was rented by my brother and we were in the suburbs of Atlanta Georgia for a family funeral. I was relying on the GPS navigation.

          The GPS on my phone was doing fine on the “main roads” …. Not so much off the main roads.

          Fortunately, for me – 2 things made a difference – the rental car that I was in had a GPS that still worked…and my brother also stood out in the dark at an intersection to flag me down.

          The next day, in daylight, I drove the same roads and with my brother’s assistance. It was a totally different story. At one point, the road went pretty close to the lakeshore. I thought of the TV / The Office incident with Michael Scott. Fortunately, the GPS did not lead me there.

 

Nevertheless, is there not something greater than all of our technology ? Personal touch and contact matters.  “Solitude” is a good thing and Jesus leads us to solitude with him through the Holy Spirit.

We actually need solitude in order to be with other people.

          But, there is also a danger – and even a toxic nature – if we are acutely or chronically lonely.

          The US Surgeon General on a public health level reports that loneliness can cause even physical illness. The Surgeon General compares the danger of loneliness to toxic nature of smoking 15 cigarettes per day.

          And, we need more than technology and entertainment – or a navigation system to get us out of the darkness.  We need a personal touch – even coming to church by yourself, know that you are not alone here nor when you leave here.

[_04_]   While I was in Atlanta, I was reminded of a real-life navigation episode.

          The reason I was in Atlanta was for a family funeral and I have cousins and my aunt and uncle who live there. My uncle recently died and while sad, we gave thanks for his life and love and hospitality over the years.

Together with relatives both “northerner” and “southerner”, we recalled times we had been together and my aunt and uncle’s desire to stay connected across time and distance.

If my aunt/uncle could not have you over, they might track you down in a neighboring state in North Carolina or FLA if you were there.

But if you were in the neighborhood, you had to stop in.

[_06__] I received their hospitality years ago when I was in their area for 2 days, and was absolutely expected to show up in the evening for a home cooked meal. That evening, my aunt and uncle – in tandem – shared a story about a visitor.   This was my 13 year old cousin who had flown by plane from Newark to Atlanta for the summer.

My aunt was concerned that she would connect safely and pick up my young cousin at the ATL airport.  This was long before cell phones, tracking apps, navigation. They had a meeting place agreed upon, but there was a mix-up before they found each other.

My cousin did not know there was any airport mix-up, but my aunt worried, searching 1, 2 or 3 baggage carousels (claim) until finally finding her, “I didn't know where she was I didn't know what was going on. I looked all over the place.”

And my uncle, recalling the same episode, chimed in and a humorous, sarcastic response: “She was probably trying to get away from you.” We laughed.

But, there was some truth that resonated in my heart about this.

Are there not people in my life that I am trying to love, to care for…and it seems that they are resistant or not responding to what I want for them? Are they trying to NAVIGATE away from me? And, am I really trying to do God’s will or is it my own?

Is there anyone whom you care about, love, nurture…. Who seems to be trying to get away from you or NAVIGATE away?

Some people are hard to love, to connect with. In our reading from 1st Peter that we are called to work for the good of others with “gentleness, with reverence” (1 Peter 3:16) especially if we are in an argument or conflict. Doing so we truly “love our enemies” because sometimes the enemy or adversary in our lives is someone who is simply difficult to love. We also read in 1st Peter: “it is better to suffer for doing good if that be the will of God than for doing evil.”  (1st Peter 3: __)

Love is not just a one-time feeling but an ongoing decision and commitment.  There is not only an internal “navigation” in your brain, but also the Holy Spirit poured into your soul.

By the way, both during and after the Last Supper, there were disciples of our Savior who were trying to get away from him! But, Jesus still searches for them as a mother or father searches for a child. Mothers – living and deceased – never stop looking for you or out for you! Jesus says about his navigation:

“Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.”  (John 14:21)  

“in a little while, the world will no longer see me, but you will see me  because I live and you will live”  (John 14:19)   [_end_]  

No comments:

Post a Comment