Sunday, October 18, 2020

Changing Lanes (2020-10-18, Sunday-29)

 2020-10-18 _ 29th Sunday

● Isaiah 45:1, 4-6   ● Psalm 96  ● 1 Thessalonians 1:1-5b  ● + Matthew 22:15-21 ●

Title:    Changing Lanes.

 

[_01_]   In 2002, less than one year after the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks, a young man named Pat Tillman enlisted in the military, in the U.S. Army.

          Pat’s family urged him NOT to enlist in the Army, believing it too dangerous, too perilous. He could be injured, he could lose his life, especially because he was determined to participate in the front lines of combat in the new war in Afghanistan after 9/11.

          Pat was leaving something very familiar – his life in Arizona, his new wife, his family, his career.

          Clearly, he was ready for a change.

          His wife – Marie – supported him in this endeavor but even she had legitimate fears about her Pat being in the Army, in Afghanistan.

          What does it mean for you and me to change?  To “change lanes”

 

[_02_]    Recently, a friend of mine showed me his car with some fancy technology and camera that tells the driver when it is safe – not safe – to change lanes.

          I have never driven a car with such an electronic sensor, so I am really completely relying on my own brain, wits, awareness and “hard drive” to figure out whether not I can – safely – change lanes.

          To be honest, I am not sure I favor such technology as I might become too dependent on the “machine”. Will I – as a human being – become less effective or aware ?

          How can I know when to change – to change lanes – and whom to trust?

 

[_03_]       In the example of the young man named Pat Tillman, he felt moved to “change out of his lane” to enlist in the Army, because of his gratitude for the freedom he knew was distinct to U.S., to being an American. And. as an able-bodied capable and strong young person, he was going to give back in heeding the call to military service, even putting his life in harm’s way.

          He left his natural habitat, way of life, or “lane” which was actually very comfortable.

          Now, I will admit that Pat Tillman’s calling was not officially of a religious nature, but his is an example of someone who leaves behind what is familiar to seek something new.

          Am I willing – are you willing – to try something new?

 

[_04_]        Jesus uses the COIN in this Gospel episode to signify something that is in fact NOT NEW.

          Jesus uses the COIN (monetary currency) to signify what is existing and current – that’s the currency.

          But there is a new and unusual form of wealth that we are concerned with.

          In our very uncertain economy, some of us may be concerned with how to “preserve our wealth” … thus we may consider, things such as should I keep my money in the bank? In the stock market? Should I buy a house? Should I sell my house?       

          But, all of these “moves” just ways to stay in the same lane, to keep things as they are.

          I’m suggesting that our lives of Christian discipleship is more along the lines of someone who moves to a new country and has to get used to the new coins, the new currency, and the cost of living in that country.

          Think about this. Let’s say you travel internationally and you go to – say – Australia OR India OR Brazil.  And, you stay for about a week or so in Australia or India or Brazil.  For the entire time you are there, you will be calculating what everything costs in terms of U.S. dollars. But if you stay for a longer time…say 6 months or a year..or if you move in, then, you stop thinking in “U.S. dollars” and you start thinking in terms of the new currency.

          That’s what it  means to render unto to God what belongs to God … we think in terms of God’s values not our own.

 

[_05_]        But, where is my wealth invested? In what am I invested? am I willing to change, to change lanes?

 

[_06_]       One example – in situations where I have found it challenging to forgive someone, I find I am moving from the natural habitat or “lane” of being angry … to a new lane…in fact to a new country of being merciful and letting go.

          Letting go of the anger may is like crossing an international border !

          Similary, in situations where I am called to admit I am wrong, to admit a fault, I find that I am moving from the lane of fear to the lane of repentance.

          Now, in these moves, I may be quite uncertain or reluctant because I am not really sure what everything costs.

          I have to live there for a while to soak up the culture to experience the forgiveness and recognize the value of God’s mercy, but I first have to change out of my familiar habitat.

         

[_07_]      Pat Tillman was not an ordinary U.S. Army recruit who became an Army Ranger.

          In fact, he died in battle in Afghanistan in 2004, one of about 3,000 who died since 9/11.

          But, he was the only one of only 7 who were NFL football players. Pat Tillman was a starting player with a lucrative contract with the Arizona Cardinals.  He walked away from a career in the NFL and had just received a contract offer for $3 million per year.

          He never signed that contract. He changed lanes, leaving behind his family to serve our country and gave an example of someone willing to go to a new country and currency and form of of wealth.

         

[_08_]         Jesus, as the Son of God, lays down his life in the unfamiliar country of our humanity and human experience, not to show how great he is, but to forgive our sins, give us a model of forgiveness and show who great we can be, by following Him,  turning back to God, by turning our lives over to Him, by rendering to God what belongs to God.   [_fin_]          

No comments:

Post a Comment