Sunday, October 11, 2020

Back to School (2020-10-11, Sunday-28)

2020-10-11 _ 28th Sunday

● Isaiah 25:6-10a   ● Psalm 23 ● Philippians 4:12-14, 19-20 ● + Matthew 22:1-14 ●

Title:   Back To School.

 [_01_]   We live in a time of great moment-to-moment uncertainty in which even clearly defined time periods – or seasons – are not so clearly defined. One example of a what used to be a clearly defined time period was this “back to school.”

          If you asked – 2018 or 2019 -  when is it time to go “back to school”…or  what does “back to school season” mean, you would say – well, that is late August to mid September.

          Parents and children and students and teachers are readying themselves at that time to go back to school. It may be hard to shop and find your favorite color of backpack in the store, if you wait until September to purchase the item.

          One time, many years ago, I thought I was going “back to school” at the school where I had been going for 5 years; but now learned in late August that I was going to the Catholic school starting in September.

          “Back to school” that year was a bit of a shock to my system…but I got over it.

          “Back to school” is very uncertain right now.

          Are you … for example:

·        Attending school virtually on Zoom or Google Meet?

·        Do you go to school some days but not others?

·        Are you waiting to find out -- school to open up or not ?

It’s already the middle of October…and we are not sure what “back to school” means.

 

[_02_   Most obvious of all – in the chronological and change of season sense…– “back to school” means that summer is over … I better get back to work! Play time over, right ?

          That’s how we think – summer = leisure.

          Autumn = work.

          Back to school !

          Or, to be even more blunt… if I get to do what I want, if I can set the rules, the schedule, the deadlines..then that is FREEDOM…

          And if I have a deadline or something is “due”…well that’s “back to school”

          When I was – as a 10 year old – “forced and sent to a new school…” and   then made to wear  = of all things .. a UNIFORM to school….well, I did not feel very “free”.

          But, that is of course a superficial definition of freedom.

          In the Gospel, we see an example of freedom by those who are in rebellion – and in open revolt – against the “servants” sent by the vineyard owner to them.

          Sometimes, we are in open revolt … just because things do not go our way.

          Some time ago, I recall that there was some logistical communication thing that went wrong due to a misunderstanding of what I had said over the phone…  I cannot remember even what it was right now. In the midst of this little crisis, some one said to me… “maybe you should have gotten it all in writing.”

          I remember at the time being increasingly exacerbated in my frustration be reminded not only of my wrong ….but how I could have corrected it.

          I’m just using that as an example … sometimes, we do not like to hear the truth. That was the truth, I should have gotten it in writing.

          And, that can lead to more serious examples that I can think of, when I fail to show gratitude, or I become very selfish about what “time” or “resources” belong to me.   Usually, someone or something will cause me to snap out of it. In other words, a “prophet” is sent to me… but sometimes I reject that prophet !

 

[_03_     Josef Pieper, points out that there is something for us to treasure or remember about going “back to school”.  He was not exactly writing about the experience of being back in school…. But rather the experience of being a young person to treasure and something for old people to imitate in the young…or to recall from their own youth:

          Pieper, paraphrased:   When we are young, we more easily persevere, bounce back, we are resilient and and this distinguishes the young and makes them lovable.

[_04_       One of things that is also valuable and admirable about young people –especially – when they are back to school is that they naturally look up to and admire and seek direction from others.

          And, they are grateful for the help that they receive.

          I would say that one of the things I have learned from my own father is value of listening to and learning from my elders, for  mentors and those who are above me.

          I am not 100% compliant or docile at all times, it’s a lesson I have to keep re-learning and to be open to learning from my own faults and failures. We are not loved because we have never sinned … we are loved because we are sinners.

 [_05_       Hope and hopefulness are connected to “youth”, to remember that we are all God’s children and …in my case… reminded that I am also my parent’s child.

          Youth and truth.

          I will summarize with this example.

          Last Thursday October 1st – I went over to my parents’ house to spend the evening and stay overnight so that I could help them the next morning for a doctor’s appointment.

          When I arrived at their home, in the late evening, I figured all the major news was over and done for the day. Nothing to report, nothing to watch. I started watching a Law & Order rerun. Then, I watched another …and soon it was past one o’clock in the morning.

          I did not watch the news, but you could not avoid the news that particular evening as the programming was interrupted to tell me that the President and First Lady at the White House had tested positive for COVID.

          I was stunned to hear this, but shortly thereafter turned off the TV for good, but I really thought I should have gone to sleep much earlier !

          When I awoke the next morning, my father and the TV on and the news was on… he told me, “The President has COVID”.

          Oh ..I said, pretending I did not already know this, which was not true.

          Then, I said, Yeah, I know.

          To which he immediately: how late were you up last night?

          I said: …like 11:30 am or midnight (which was NOT true!)

          To which he said, but that news came through at 12:53 am.

          And., then, I thought, I’m not even in my own place, I’m trying to help out… and I get caught like a teenager sneaking in after curfew!

          In any case, I just say, that we are given many, many chances in our life to be youthful, to be God’s children. We are also given many chances to be truthful, to recognize that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Enjoy the journey, back to school.  [_fin_         

No comments:

Post a Comment