Sunday, May 5, 2019

Revelation and Reversal (2019-05-05, Sunday 03 Easter)

May 5, 2019   [3rd Sunday Easter]  Acts 5:27-32 Psalm 30 ● Revelation 5:11-14 ● + John 21:1-19 ●


[_01_]   A special welcome this morning to our children, of First Holy Communion, those who made First Holy Communion last Sunday.

[_02_]  We are pleased to have our children´s choir with us at this Mass as we also sing today as we honor the Blessed Virgin Mary with a profession of flowers in a few minutes.

[_03_]  I´d like to refer in this Gospel to 2 moments of Jesus, our Lord.
          That is, Jesus
[►does a REVELATION to the disciples …]     Then, Jesus …
[►does a REVERSAL of the denials of Peter …]

1st. [►The REVELATION to the disciples …]
          “Revelations” are important.
          Awards and reputations seems to be made or to be lost based on a revelation – positive or negative.
          We are hyper-connected online to check up on people´s reputations and status.
The revelation attracts attention with, for example, the small envelope at, the Oscars/Academy Awards.  ¨And, the envelope please- ¨
          Your reputation is made or lost if you are the Best Director or Best Picture.
          In the Book of the Gospel of John, this Sunday, it is not Jesus’ name that is revealed or his name that is read.
          Rather, Jesus appears in person, just as last Sunday’s Gospel reported Jesus appearing to Thomas the Apostle in person to say…
          …”put your fingers here and see my hands and bring your hand and put into my side but do not be unbelieving but believe.” (John 20:27)
          So, there is a disclosure that Jesus is real…. that his death was real and, now, more importantly, his life is real.
          That is the [►The REVEAL to the disciples …]
[*** pause ***]
           And, Jesus comes also to speak with Peter.

[_04_]   This is the [►the  REVERSAL of the denials of Peter …]
          Peter was a “near-miss” we might say on the night before Jesus died. How did Peter nearly miss?
          Peter followed Jesus after Jesus was arrested, followed him into the Temple area,  and then as people started asking Peter  “do you know this ‘prime suspect’ Jesus?”   or  “didn’t I see you with him?” . And, Peter says – 3x three times – ‘No I don’t know him… who? That man …never seen him before… ’
          And, denies Jesus 3x.
          Peter had a “near-miss”, he was so close, but missed his connection to Jesus at the moment of his Passion.
          Nevertheless, Peter was not totally lost. There was hope for Peter.
          And, in a very deliberate way, Jesus now asks Peter three times:  “do you love me…?”
          The 3 x question “do you love me?” is [►the  REVERSAL of the denials of Peter …].
[_05_]   I’d like to give some examples of this REVERSAL and “near miss” and our need for God and each other.
          The first is a world-history example; the second a personal example.
1st The world-history example.
          In 1940, the people of Great Britain and the people of London had reason to fear and worry because Nazi Germany was on the march and the British government feared a German attack from the air, airplanes, bombs.
          So much fear that the evacuation of London was starting to be planned and considered to be an absolute foregone conclusion.  
          So, all sorts of hospitals and buildings were constructed so that after the bombing people could live there because surely people would leave London.
          Because, would the Londoners not be demoralized after the bombing?
          And, in fact, over 40,000 people died, many were injured, but the vast majority in a city of 8 million were unharmed and was an experience that emboldened the British people.
          A sign of British strength and stoicism in face of great distress.
          In a book about underdogs and how they will “battle giants” (David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell)
Malcolm Gladwell wrote that the favorite in this war was certainly Germany and the Nazis. They wanted to win the war and perhaps would have won if they had not “messed with” Britain.
          Because, Britain became even bolder and braver as a result of this experience.

[_06_]    And, Peter is invited this new boldness and bravery – a new strength born of adversity that will make a him a better disciple, a priest … in fact, a better follower. But, do we believe the same about adversity and forgiveness from sin?
          Because when we have adversity we are also called to repentance, to forgiveness, and sometimes to go in REVERSE…the REVERSAL OF OUR OWN DENIALS.
          Going in reverse helps us to go forward.
          This is my 2nd closing personal example …personal…
          Many years ago, I was crossing a busy street in the city, in New York.  As I approached the curb, I recall looking to see if there were any cars coming down the street. No cars… I’m good… And,there were no cars coming down the street. I was correct.
But, as I walked out from behind a parked van,  there was a bicycle messenger coming down the street at that very moment. And, those guys travel fast!.
          We collided. Fortunately, neither of us was hurt. To show you how long ago this was, I recall having to pick up my pager and put the batteries back into the pager in that stone-age time before cell phones.
          I was shaken up and scared ..but fortunately I was not hurt and the bicycle messenger was long gone.
          I remember that I was on my way to see some people I worked with at the time.
          I remember how important it was for me to tell them what had happened … even though I was embarrassed at what had happened and I was not completely in the right.
          And, I recall how important their questions – are you ok – were to me at the time.  And, sharing their own experience with bicycle messengers…
          It was important for me to know their care.
          An experience in which I had to go in REVERSE to recover.
          I had to go back on the sidewalk and dust myself off. Sometimes, we have to go in reverse in order to go forward.
          Or, to go in reverse as Peter did, to reverse the denials and to hear Jesus’ words revealed to us:  “Follow me”.  [_fin_


No comments:

Post a Comment