Sunday, December 16, 2018

Lost. (2018-12-16, Advent)

SUNDAY 16 December 2018    [ advent  –  week 3 ]

• Zephaniah 3:14-18a   • Psalm  / Isaiah 12__ • Philippians 4:4-7 • Luke 3:10-18   •

Title:   Lost.  Repentance.

[_01_]  I was LOST. One night, I was driving home, in Jersey City, and a kind man – a driver of another car, gave me directions.
            I was LOST. He pulled up next to me, in the next lane, rolled down the window, because I was lost.
            I was lost, because I could not get the car to go forward. I could not get the car to go forward because I was unfamiliar, uncomfortable with this car. I was unfamiliar, uncomfortable with this car, because I had just purchased the car.
            I had just bought the car. Now, I had to drive it home. But I was lost, because I could not get the car to go forward.
[_02_]  I was LOST, but not geographically. I was LOST mechanically and technically because I did not know how to drive a manual transmission, stick-shift automobile with a clutch.
            But, I just bought a manual transmission stick shift car.
            I sort of knew. I thought I knew.
[_03_] When you are lost – mechanically or technically or geographically – or in bad weather like snow – …or when we are first learning to drive, people might roll down the window …or they sit next to us…or talk to us about what to do. They tell us what we should do.
[_04_]  I did what I was told by the other driver.  I tried to do what I was told by the other driver. I like doing what I am told.  Most of the time…
            And, in this case, it was an absolute pleasure to execute successfully what this man was telling me, because it was going to get me home.
            I got home, thanks to his advice and … some prayers.
[_05_]   So, I was trying to move this car. I was LOST. I like doing what I am told.
            At the same time, as I am trying to follow the instructions, I am also experiencing something else. I am questioning why I bought this car. Did I make the right decision?
            I was, as we say, second guessing myself.
[_06_] I’d like touch on this personal experience to reflect on what REPENTANCE – or REPENTING – means.
            If something does not feel right, or go right, or someone reacts negatively to something we say or do, we may second-guess ourselves.
            I was second-guessing my decision to buy this car. I did not really put a lot of thought into it and had traveled by bicycle to the dealer. I had no CARFAX, on EDMUNDS.COM, nothing … no idea whether this used car had ever been in an accident. You know, all that stuff you are supposed to do.  There was a bumper sticker on the back of the car that said HERCULES and  Cuban flag. So, it was owned by a Cuban family who liked HERCULES.
            I’m just saying..when we 2nd guess ourselves we may just put ourselves through torture and torment in our minds.
            So – repentance might start with some 2nd guessing..but  that is not the goal of repentance.
            Repentance is about getting out of our own heads, getting out of our own way, and – in terms of John the Baptist, preparing the way of the Lord and Savior, making straight his path.
[_07_] In the Gospel, this Sunday,  we read that tax collectors were coming to John the Baptist.
            Are they lost? Why are tax collectors out in the desert talking to John the Baptist?
            So, the tax collectors were – surprisingly, paradoxically, ironically – leading the way in religious devotion and repentance toward John the Baptist.
            Now, the tax collectors were not some government employees who broke some ethics rules and have to go before and independent counsel.  The tax collectors were, in our terms, like cybercriminals, computer hackers and identity thieves. And, everyone despised them. They were using their strength and position to prop up the Roman Empire which the Jewish people did not like living under.  No one liked the tax collectors – no one likes cybercriminals either – but they were wealthy, healthy, and stealthy and no reason to change their ways.
            Yet, the tax collectors are asking – WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
            Are they lost?
[_08_]    It is notable that John the Baptist – and later Jesus – shows mercy and kindness to the tax collectors and holds them up as models of repentance.
            Because …they – the tax collectors – had a lot to lose by repenting.
            Because – their repentance was not just a theoretical abstract – feeling of anxiety but an action that would lead them out of themselves, out of their comfort zones and to a new life. Yes, they were lost. But, that was a good thing.
            In his letter on Christian hope, Pope Benedict XVI writes that the Word of God is both informative and performative.  The Word of God not only INFORMS  us with information..but also PERFORMS  and helps us to PERFORM, to repent to go out of ourselves.
[_09_]   John the Baptist is an audible, sometimes loud presence – in the lives of his disciples.  He rolls down the window, right next to them, tells them what to do .. gives them important commandments – not about the use of clutch pedal and accelerator ..but about other PEDALS and POWERS and ACCELERATORS ..about generosity, about not extorting what does not belong to them, about use of their authority. This is also an important lesson to each of us – to me as a priest to all of us in the church that we treat others w/ mercy and use our authority in ways that do not cancel the freedom & initiative and grace working in the lives of those around us.
            As parents – you – Moms and Dads – have walk this fine line of guiding and helping but not cancelling out the initiative and energy of your children.    As adults, when we care for our parents or an elderly person, we also must not cancel out their free will …
[_10_]    John the Baptist is also trying to prepare them to meet Jesus who not only teaches us but also unites himself to us, first as a child who comes to us and later as s sacrifice in Holy Communion, nourishing as the Way, Truth and the Life and helping us to move forward.
[_fin_]

No comments:

Post a Comment