Sunday, November 20, 2016

Right Now. Christ the King. (2016-11-20)

2016 Nov. 20  _ 34th Sunday (year C),  Christ the King
Samuel 5:1-3  Salmo 121  • Colosenses 1:12-20Lucas 23:35-43 •  

 [__01__]   Jesus reminds us to consider the present moment. Right now. Today

These are our Savior’s words to the person, the convicted criminal , crucified with him on Calvary: “Today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

Today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

[__02__]       Well known words, these are, that we keep as part of our tradition and profession of faith in the resurrection of the body and the forgiveness of sins.
Today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

[__03__]       However,  if you or I were to receive some bonus or reward or compensation,  do we focus immediately with gratitude on the present moment.  Yes, sometimes, we do.  On the other hand, we are also inclined to consider not only today’s immediate lump-sum distribution but rather, in terms of –

► what history of achievement or work effort has led to this reward?  What have I been earning? What did I do, in order to deserve this? In other words, we think about the past rather than today.

► on other hand, we also consider – with this reward or compensation, we start to calculate, how long this is to going to last?  In other words, we think about the future.

Jesus invites the criminal at Calvary  - and you and me - to consider the gift of TODAY.

Today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

[__04__]       In the Gospel scene at Calvary, we read about two criminals crucified – sentenced to death – with Jesus.
          Both of them have a history of crimes and misdemeanors,  a past, a record with the police, the authorities.
          One of the two readily an easily accepted responsibility for his actions saying to Jesus and to the other crucified man: “We have been condemned justly, for the sentence we have received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing wrong.” (Luke 23:41)

[Repeat / paraphrase the above]
[__05__]        So, based on his history, this man to whom we refer as the “good thief” of the Gospel believes that, due to his history, he deserves punishment and penalty both now in the future.
          Nevertheless, TODAY, in the Gospel, he makes one final plea,
Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” (Luke 23:42)
          Then, Jesus replies,  “Today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)


[__06__]       Jesus is focused on today, right now.

          This is a call and appeal to us for charity and love:
how can I love today the people in my life?

how can I forgive today the person by whom I have been injured or hurt?

how can I extend myself generously to someone in need?

[__07__]       St. Paul in 1st Corinthians, chapter 13, in his famous section about LOVE and CHARITY, reminds us that the call to LOVE is for the present moment.
          Paul writes that not only is love        “patient and kind and not jealous”           but also that    “love does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.”  (1 Corinthians 13:4,6)

[__08__]       Sometimes, the truth of today may be difficult to face. We may prefer to hide.  Jesus is instructing us to face and admit our faults, because there is freedom and the paradise of mercy awaiting. Today.
          In matters serious or small, we may prefer to hide or just to get what we deserve. Jesus is promising us more than we deserve.

[__09__]       I recall this small matter in which I preferred to hide rather than reveal. 
          One day years ago, I received a phone call from my father about a receipt – a document – for a car repair.  Very naively, I had left the receipt at his house. Now, I was being asked – interrogated – about the repair on my car.
         I was particularly proud of this car. I do not even own this car anymore or drive it. I’m still proud of it.  I was particularly proud of this car not because it was a very nice car, but because it was my not very nice car, and the first car I had ever owned.
When I bought the car, in the past, at the dealership, the price seemed very reasonable. I put the full amount on my credit card and drove away.
          In the present, this used Nissan needed some major repairs. Thus, the phone call.
          “Did you really have to buy a new power steering system for the car? And, what about these disc brakes, ”
          I suppose every family has its competitiveness and rivalries which are intertwined with love for the other. In a competitive sense, I felt a bit diminished, a bit of a “loser” recalling all the money I had spent on this car with 103,000 miles.
          Pride made me hide.
          Though I had spent my own money, I did not want to have this conversation. I did not want to admit this. I was not rejoicing in the truth and said, “Dad, can we talk about this later?”
          And, very graciously, my father ceased and desisted. I think he kind of understood.
          Twenty years or so later, we have never – somehow – gotten around to discussing it.
          Of course, this is a small matter.
          But, what about very very important things?
         
          Today – the truth of today – is sometimes scary,  frightening, humbling … or a little humiliating.
         
          It may invite us to change, to conversion of heart, to change our ways. Jesus may disrupt our lives.
          
[__10__]    [__07__]      In any act of confession or contrition, we are called not simply to consider what the circumstances were in the past or whether we were angry or sad or tired or double-crossed.

Confession is not about the past but the present.

Maybe, we would do things differently today.

That’s conversion of the heart.

So, in confession of our faults, it’s certainly acceptable – and healthy – for us to say, Father, forgive me, I did not know what I was doing.

This is also the Good News of Jesus at Calvary,  “Father forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)

And, you or I can do the same and ask God to forgive us because … I did not know what I was doing.

However, I know now.
That’s  what the thief on the cross professes, “I know now what I was doing” and…

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” (Luke 23:42)

When we confess our sins and faults, we profess our faith in God’s love and mercy, our faith that he welcomes us home, our faith that he died for our sins on Calvary and rose from the dead.

He will even forgive us at the last possible moment.  That moment is now.  Reading the Gospel, we know this now.

Today.

[__08__]       [__09__]      [__10__]    [__11__]     [__fin__]  

No comments:

Post a Comment