Sunday, April 3, 2016

Reconciled. (Divine Mercy Sunday) 2016-04-03

2nd  Sunday of Easter
3 April 2016 (Divine Mercy  Sunday)


•  Acts 5:12-16 • Psalm 118  • Revelation 1:9-11a, 12-13, 17-19 • John 20:19-31 •

practiced       duration:  

Title: “Reconciled”

[__01__]     Reconciliation. Reconciled.

In our Catholic Tradition, we speak of Reconciliation as a sacrament and sacramental encounter. That is, reconciliation is not something that takes place simply as a meeting of the minds, or as a compromise.

[*** P A U S E ***]

[__02__]     Reconciliation, for Thomas the Apostle and for  the Apostles in the locked upper room, takes place because of God’s divine initiative.

And, on this 2nd Sunday of Easter, we can certainly say because  of God’s Divine  Mercy.

[__03__]     Thomas the Apostle was reconciled to Jesus through this encounter. He gained tranquility, his faith was renewed because he had seen our Lord and  Savior.

All of the disciples are reconciled – reconnected – to Jesus in a similar way.  They were seeing him, body and blood, soul and divinity.

At the Last Supper – on the night before he died on the first Good Friday, Jesus gave them his body and blood,  soul and divinity, in their first Holy Communion. This was  not to be their last  Holy Communion,  but the first of  many Holy Communions in which they could receive him, be reconciled, reconnected to him.

[__04__]    Reconciliation. We strive for reconciliation and we speak about RECONCILIATION as a desirable state of affairs, for example …

► INTERNATIONALLY, between nations.  We hope that nations would use diplomacy rather  than the military to settle disputes. We would rather see world leaders go to Camp David rather than into armed camps.

► INDIVIDUALLY, for example, to know myself, I am reconciled to what my true gifts and true weaknesses are.

Now, even in these cases, I would suggest that RECONCILIATION is  possible because one person takes the initiative, or the lead, or offers something generous.

I suggest this because the RECONCILIATION between Jesus and the apostles did not happen because Jesus and the Apostles made a 50/50 deal. Rather, our Savior took the initiative, giving up his body, his blood. He even went further, forgiving those who persecuted him for “they know not what they do.” (reference?)

Reconciliation requires initiative. Isn’t this even true in international affairs? After the Second World War and in many conflicts, it is often the victorious nation or the stronger party who must initiate peace.  It is often the stronger party that must lead the way. If one country waits around for the  other,  peace may never happen.

On an individual level, if I am to be reconciled to who I am …I  may also rely on someone stronger, a parent, a mentor, a teacher, a coach to help me understand my true strengths and weaknesses.  This  Final 4 weekend… …Jim Boeheim, the Syracuse University basketball coach knows the strengths and weaknesses of his players better than they themselves.

We rely on others for this reconciliation.

And, in the case of the Christian life, we rely on God and we even rely on the Church to make reconciliation happen.

 [*** P A U S E ***]
[__05__]    Reconciliation, then , requires not only proof or evidence.

Reconciliation is also an  invitation to trust and to love.

[__06__]    We might also recall here that Jesus is calling his apostles, as his first newly ordained priests, to form and lead the Church and to act in this ministry of reconciliation.

In  Catholic / Christian Tradition, we say that Jesus came to form a priesthood and the Church with 3 main purposes or pillars:

The first is to TEACH.
The second is to SUPERVISE or ORGANIZE or to GOVERN.
The third is to RECONCILE. (This third  aspect  or  ministry sets apart the priest and the Church from other offices and organizations.

For it is not necessarily the mission of other organizations to “sanctify” or to make holy or to reconcile the persons or members.

In a sermon about the Christian ministry, John Henry Newman writes that we may resist this idea of the Church and her third mission to reconcile or make holy.[1]

That is, the first 2 missions or much easier for  us to comprehend.

[__07__]   For example, every organization or school needs to

► TEACH – whether we are playing LACROSSE, or going to LAW SCHOOL, there are techniques to be learned, information to be received.

And, every organization needs to…

► GOVERN or SUPERVISE – every organization has a structure, an organization chart, a set of responsibilities,  policies, procedures.

[__08__]   However, we – in the Church – and the priests of the Church – have an additional responsibility – RECONCILIATION, SANCTIFICATION, HOLINESS, LOVE.

[__09__]   Do we resist this? Sometimes. We are in good company.  Thomas the Apostle also resisted this reconciliation, for a little  while.

He did not want to believe – or be reconciled – to what his friends – and the community of believers – were telling him.

He  would only be reconciled by his own eyes, by his own evidence. Yes, there is some pride here.

[__10__]   However, as I was reading in a recent  Easter essay by Bishop Robert Barron, we might also take note that Thomas is reconciled not individually but communally.

Jesus makes no private appointment to catch up with Thomas but rather meets him in the community of the Apostles.
[__11__]   We are also called to be reconciled. And, reconciliation can be  difficult.

Sometimes, I suggest we might respect or expect that there is …
1.     TEACHING
2.     ORGANIZATION
But, is there “RECONCILIATION”

For example, I may expect or respect that another person can teach me something. Maybe, this is my mother, father,  my teacher, my coach.

I may also respect  or expect that there is some organization or rule to follow.

But, am I reconciled? Do I love being a part of this community?

In the  Christian family, we say that we are  part of the DOMUS ECCLESIA ..the domestic  church or the home church.

Thus, this little home church is meant not only to TEACH US ..or to ORGANIZE our time..but also to SANCTIFY us.

And, I think we might agree that family life gives us many opportunities to take up our cross, to lay down our lives for the other, and to be cheerful giver which God calls us to be. To be reconciled.

[__12__]   I would also say that the journey toward forgiveness, true forgiveness, involves the goal of reconciliation.

Sometimes, we stop short of this goal. Or we do not quite enter the upper room, or allow Jesus into our room.

For example, I may have – you may have – this attitude toward sinfulness or faults.

That is, I think that I can be …

► TAUGHT. I can be taught.  I an learn something when I realize that I am a sinner. I can learn… I can improve … but self-improvement is not the only goal of Christian reconciliation. God endeavors to forgive us even BEFORE we have improved.

► I may also see that my sin affects the ORGANIZATION … that  is, if  my sin is to be habitually late, then, I can see that this affects others. If my sin has been dishonesty, I can see why someone would not trust me.
But these are  only the first 2 aspects  of  the Christian ministry and Church, teaching and  governing.

What about reconciling?

Jesus wishes to reconcile us, through the sacrifice of his body and blood, by passing  through the door from death to life.

And, he gives us hope that we can be reconciled to him and to each other  and that we can be made whole and brought to a new comprehension of God’s love for you and me.
  
[__13__]   [__14__]     [__fin__]  


[1] John Henry Newman, “The Christian Ministry” Bk. II,  Serm. 25. Parochial & Plain Sermons.

No comments:

Post a Comment