Sunday, December 9, 2012

Direct Route (2012-12-09, Advent)

This is my homily for 9 December  2012 (Advent, 2nd Sunday). I am a Catholic chaplain in Teaneck at Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) campus and for the FDU Newman Catholic Association and at New Jersey City University (NJCU) in Jersey City. We celebrate Catholic Mass - during Fall and Spring semester - every Sunday Evening (5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.) at the FDU University Interfaith Chapel, 842 River Road, Teaneck, NJ.


[ Baruch 5:1-9 | Psalm 126 | Philippians 1:4-6, 8-11 |+ Luke 3:1-6 ]

 [__01]    John the Baptist, in this Advent Gospel, is speaking about a shorter, more direct route. This is the route which is now reduced in length because the “winding way has been made straight”.

It’s geometry and the Good News of the Gospel. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. A road is being built – for our salvation.

[__02]    John the Baptist’s particular construction method may be surprising. How do we find this direct route?

Is it really necessary to make a mountain low? Is it required that we would fill in a valley?

John the Baptist seems to suggest some extreme environmental and geological solutions.

But, John the Baptist is not speaking about Mount Everest, K2, Napa Valley or any place in Asia, Africa, or the Americas.

After all, Jesus himself climbs many mountains with his disciples. He goes up the mountain to pray. On Mount Tabor, he is transfigured.

The mountain could be, then, could be a place which helps us to encounter and to know God’s Holy Spirit. We speak, for example, of the “mountaintop” spiritual experience. “Go Tell it on the Mountain.”It’s Good News.

[__03]    On the other hand, mountains are also difficult to cross, difficult to climb up and climb down.

And, at times, my personal pride or stubbornness or sinfulness could be a mountain, an obstacle.

For example, success is a good thing. Success in the final grade point average, dean’s list, success at work.  All are good.

And, you may – we may have – a mountain of work to complete in order to attain success, to finish a paper or project.

But, my desire for success could be a mountain and obstacle. I may be self absorbed. I may resist constructive criticism. I may resist help from others offered in love, given in charity … again given for my salvation.

I may put work put all else. Then, the mountain of work also becomes a mountain which is leading me away from God.

Pride could be a mountain.

[___04]     On the other hand, envy and jealousy could be a dark valley in which I walk.

Do I have a desire to take revenge on someone? Is there someone to whom I refuse to communicate or speak?

Am I in a relationship not built on trust, honesty, true respect[1].

[__05]      When we repent of our sins, we are seeking this new environment and road through the wilderness. Confession of our sins is the opportunity to make the winding way straight, with the help of God’s grace.

Repenting of our sins, we are making a straight, direct path. Would we really, intentionally choose the winding and crooked path?

[__06]      At times, we might …    For example, when I pay attention only to the sins, the faults of others, I am then – paying less attention to my own need for conversion, for holiness, for repentance and redirection.

This is similar to what we say in American-English slang “rubbernecking”is overly inquisitive about every accident in the road shoulder of I-95 or Route 46 or Route 4.

I may even – in my car – slow down to see the broken glass or debris or driver error.

Am I doing the same, examining the driver error in my own family members, friends, suite mates, classmates.


[__07] On the road, on the winding way, I may focus on the debris and errors – and sins – of others – rather than my own.

Advent is a time to stay focused on what is ahead, on who is coming into our lives.

Repentance of our sins is a straight line. God´s forgiveness puts us back in the center lane.

[__fin___]    


[1] See JH Newman sermon - John Henry Newman – in a sermon about reverence and respect – even writes that fear and awe and necessary elements of respect.  This does not mean that we become slaves who fear the task master’s wrath or punishment. Volume 1, Sermon 23, Christian Reverence --- search  “In heaven, love will absorb fear; but in this world, fear and love must go together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment