Sunday, February 12, 2023

Proportional. Purposeful. Penitential (Gospel teaching on anger) (2023-02-12, Sunday - 06)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___  

__ Click Here for Video of Mass___  

 [__v-06__]  ● February 12, 2023 ● 6th Sunday, ● 2023-02-08  ● Sirach 15:15-20 ● Psalm   119 ● 1 Corinthians 2:6-10 ●   Matthew 5:17-37 ● 

 [__01_]   February 11 is our parish feast day – Our Lady of Lourdes day – the day in 1858 on which Bernadette Soubirous first saw the apparitions of Mary, as Bernadette is depicted above our altar in the mosaic kneeling and praying the rosary.

          This is a day to pray for healing, for health, recovery for ourselves and our loved ones and to pray that we may be free from any pain, spiritual or physical.

          Bernadette – who was born and raised – in severe poverty – also knew pain and distress in her life. I’d like to touch in this homily on our own response or reflex to pain – in terms of our

·       Proportional response

·       Purposeful  response

·       Penitential response

And while today we recall the heroism and fame of Bernadette, in her own day, the experiences of the apparition brought her family on unwelcome publicity.

The apparitions started about 70 years after the French Revolution. Many French people suffered due to poverty, instability in the government and instability in the Church. Governmentally, neither Social Security nor welfare benefits existed; Bernadette's family couldn't pay their bills. They were in pain.

And part of the message conveyed to Beernadette was about digging deeper in our lives through prayer and penance and sacrifice. Bernadette was told in the in the visions to unite her sufferings to Jesus on the cross.

Bernadette gives us an example of a response to pain that is proportional, purposeful, penitential.

·       Proportional: because she always spoke the truth even to those who didn't believe her. And it's hard to just speak the truth when people don't believe us or we are unpopular for doing so.

·       Purposeful because she always sought out the good of another, not her own good.

·       Penitential: because she spurned fame, notoriety, and she lived in pain and poverty.

 [_02_] I bring this up because the Gospel includes a warning – not about physical PAIN – but nevertheless about something that can be painful à ANGER. 

          On the one hand, ANGER can be neutral or even a positive thing. Jesus Himself displays, at times, righteous anger/indignation. Jesus was angry with the moneychangers who turned his father’s into an AMZN marketplace.

          Nevertheless,  Jesus says that when we are angry we are “liable to judgement”.  Our Lord is warning us not to let our anger lead us toward revenge, hatred, bitterness.

          When you or I feel the pain of anger, we are called to consider how we can act in a way that is proportional, purposeful, and penitential.

Proportionate to the actual problem.

Purposeful and based on the facts

Penitential – is there anything I can do as a sacrifice? When experiencing the pain of anger, I suggest we might consider that physical satisfactions - eating, drinking, leisure – may not solve the anger.  In fact, the the opposite works better – a fast/sacrifice, a time of silent prayer, in some way to search for survival with God’s grace.

E.g., earthquake: And by the way, how are they finding survivors of the earthquake in Turkey and Syria? They're finding survivors by silence. The cranes do their work, and then they go silent. They listen for survivors. If we want to survive, we need silence as well.

Also, isn’t   it true that righteous anger does not simply give us payback. The penitential response is to give back and trust God .   Also, such fasting and praying helps us remain calm and collected if we need to talk out and talk about our anger.

[__04__]  Many years ago, I recall a lapse in judgment that I made – at my work – in which I was the cause of anger (frustration) from my boss directed at me.

          My boss’s “righteous anger” also helped me to change and see the light.

          One day, I did not show up for an important lunchtime meeting – believing that my other meeting which ran late was more important. Wrong answer.

          At 12 Noon, at lunch time, the person on my calendar stopped by my desk looking for me and asked where I was.

          When I arrived back at my desk, my boss informed me who had stopped by and asked me what happened. I did not have a reasonable excuse. My boss was not pleased, but I also recall her anger  was:

PROPORTIONATE – TONE. there were no raised voices. She did not overreact

PURPOSEFUL – TEACHING. She focused on the facts and allowing me to learn a lesson rather than simply receive punishment. (I needed the reminder then – and still need such reminders now -- I am no greater in dignity and importance than another person.)

PENITENTIAL – my boss gave me the benefit of the doubt or, as we say today, did NOT “throw me under bus.”    Thus, I was I was able to reconcile and meet later with the same person. My boss made an otherwise bad situation better.

[__05__] What is Jesus’ reaction when he is angry?   à  Consider, e.g., the woman caught in adultery and the demand made on him to judge the case. Jesus is being trapped.

          His response is:

Proportionate and purposeful: he does not deny the sin, but simply asks those without sin to judge the case. (Ironically, Jesus is the one without sin and he is judging the case).  He urges those who are angry – that is is me sometimes – to examine our hearts.

          Jesus’ response is penitential:

          Jesus stuck his neck out – risked his safety – for the woman. He is penitential.

          The value of fasting and prayer – when angry – is that it teaches us to rely on God for the ultimate resolution not on oneself.

          Anger,  when it is proportional, purposeful and penitential, a risk worth taking and a feeling worth having.

[__06__]    Jesus Christ had a proportionate response to human sinfulness and struggle, a purposeful response…and also a penitential response. He gave his life for you and for me.

Jesus teaches us this fulfillment of 5th commandment – Thou Shalt Not Kill – not to teach us how far we can go in our rage.   He is simply urging us to examine ourselves before we act or react.    Offering up our anger, our repentance to him has value for the whole world .   We are not just students learning the commandments, by following the gospel, we are also teaching others to do so ....   by offering up what we have, our humility will lead us to true greatness in the kingdom of heaven. [__END__]

No comments:

Post a Comment