Sunday, April 18, 2021

T.H.I.N.K. (2021-04-18, 3rd Sunday Easter)

3rd Sunday of Easter / 2021 April 18

Acts 3:13-15,   Psalm ____,  1 John 2:1-5a, + Luke 24:35-48

Title:   THINK

 [__01__]   THINK.   T – H – I – N – K. These 5 letters are the initials or acronym which is promoted as a both a challenge and act of charity to anyone to THINK before posting something to social media, or even to THINK before texting, emailing, speaking.

          The initials apply in this way – that before I say something in words about someone else or to someone else, I am called to “THINK” about my words

          T,   are my  words TRUE?

          H, are my words HELPFUL?

          I, are my words INSPIRING ?

          N, are my words NECESSARY?

          K,  are my words KIND ?

         

The T-H-I-N-K acronym is to reduce online bullying, or cyberbullying. This is often defined as the posting of mean-spirited messages about They define it as “the electronic posting of mean-spirited messages about a person (such as a student) often done anonymously.”

          But, I suggest the question about what is TRUE, HELPFUL, INSPIRING, NECESSARY, KIND also applies to our Savior’s message to us, in his death and resurrection, and in his gift of Holy Communion, Holy Eucharist.

 

[__02__] In the Gospel of John, we read that Jesus is the word of God and he is the word made flesh.

          In the Gospel of this Easter-Season Sunday, the disciples encounter Jesus – in the flesh  and in person ..or as we might abbreviate in a text – I.R.L – in real life.

          Jesus wants us to remember and think about him in our real lives. I also need to apply this to me…I do not have this figured out. I have to THINK.


[__03__]   The first letter: T. What is true?  How do I know what is TRUE?

          Recently, I had to remind someone in my family of something I had asked about.

          But, I was feeling uncomfortable because I was not sure – truly – if this was really a reminder …or whether they really knew about it.

          It turns out this person knew about it …but just felt he had a better idea.

          So…I had to go back the drawing board and think…what’s really true here? Is my opinion = the truth?

          Sometimes, my opinion = the true but not always.

          Jesus gives us his word, his love as a model to follow to show us what is true.

          God’s word is true.

          Are my words true?

          One way to pray is to simply ask God… in silence …Lord, what is true here? What is the truth?

         

[__04__] The 2nd letter. H.

          Are my words helpful?

          All of us need helpers in life.

          There is an old saying and old question – “does God give us more than we can handle?”

          The answer is to this question is [absolutely]  [YES].

          What I mean by this is that God gives in this life – God permits us in this life take on more than we can reasonably handle on our own without anyone’s help.

          You and I are invited into this parish family, not only to think and decide alone in the solitary confinement of our minds but also to think about the help we need from God and from each other.

          I am grateful to you as helpers to me and helpers to each other.

          And as Jesus tells us in the Gospel, “For I was hungry and you gave me food…and as often as you did this for one of the least brothers and sisters of mine, you did it for me.”

God’s word is helpful.

Are my words helpful?

One way to pray is to simply ask God… in silence …not only God come to my assistance…but what can I do to help?

 

[__05__]   The 3rd letter. “EYE”.

Are my words inspiring?

          All of us want to be inspired, right?

          We speak of the Bible / Gospel as being the inspired and inspiring Word of God.

          Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI wrote that the word of God not only INFORMS us..but it also helps us to PERFORM…and thus helps us to be transformed.

          Our words have the power to build up or tear down

Jesus said: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.”

          We are called to consider – are our words INSPIRING to others?

          I do not think that my mother was a biblical scholar and maybe your mother was not a biblical scholar either , but our parents have often quoted this verse:

          “The last shall be first.”      This has been quoted in order to calm us down (even if it did not happen immediately), to encourage patience and to promote perseverance.

          Consider that your ability recall the words of Jesus also make Him the incarnate Word to others.

God’s word is inspiring.

Are my words inspiring?

 

[__06__] The 4th letter. N.

Are my words necessary?

          There are 2 key on the keyboard that I perhaps do not use often enough:

          [DELETE],  [BACKSPACE]

          Each of these enable us to erase or reduce or review what we have said.

          There is also something called the “DRAFT” feature on the computer.

          I am not talking about the NFL draft or the NBA draft or the military draft where players and soldiers are selected and recruited.

          Sometimes, I am shocked to discover the number of unsent DRAFT messages in my e-mail folder.

          Some of them, I was supposed to send, some I forgot about.

          But, there have also been instances where I had to reconsider whether it was even necessary.

          And, if it were necessary, what part is the most necessary.

          To Martha and Mary, at home, Jesus is not simply praising Mary because she is the laid-back “cool” disciple and Martha is the anxious organizer. He is praising Mary’s attitude as necessary, before we do our work, before we do anything.

          Silence before God does not mean that we are inactive, but that we are in touch with God.

          Mary chose the better part.

          Mary’s part is necessary.

          God’s word is necessary.

          Are my words necessary?

 

[__07__]   The 5th letter. “KAY”.

Are my words kind?

          All of us want kindness… we want to give it, we want to receive it.

          But, kindness is not the same as being “nice” or “flexible”

          St. Paul writes that “kindness calls forth our repentance.”

          God gives us his mercy so that we can change …and be converted.

          Kindness is also a fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22)

         

[__08__]   Jesus invites us not only to believe in him, but also to think about him, to examine our thoughts, as St. Paul summarizes:

          “Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near.  Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.

Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Philippians 4:4-8)

          THINK.      [_fin_

No comments:

Post a Comment