Sunday, November 26, 2023

Horizontal.Vertical. Christ the King (2023-11-26)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___    

____ Click Here for Video of Mass ____  


 Nov.  26, 2023   (Christ the King)   Gospel:  Matthew 25:31-46

Title: Horizontal/Vertical. Jesus Christ the King.

 [__01__] Once upon a time, I was looking out horizontally at the parking lot. I was not thinking about the asphalt paving of the parking lot. I'm not going back to that project!

I was looking out horizontally at the parking lot a few years ago and I received a phone call so unexpected that I remember what I was looking at, the direction I was facing, that it was about 5 pm in the afternoon, mid August. I was being told in the phone call of the tragic passing the death of my father's cousin, Richie. Over the prior months and years, Richie had been caring for his ailing wife, and he had been under immense stress and anxiety.

 

 

It was evident to his immediate family that Richie was very anxious and they were really trying to help him. Amid this great crisis, Richie had taken his own life, committed suicide.

          Due to the circumstances, there also had to be a police investigation. While I remembered where I was when I got the call, others in our family recalled exactly where they were – several heard simultaneously from the television, at 4pm on NBC when Richie’s name suddenly appeared on NewsChannel4.  It was all very public.

[__02__] Richie and I did not see each other very often. But we had met at family events over the years when he would come from NY to NJ or I would go to New York for significant family moments. I remember well, his outgoing and friendly style, how he could read the crowd, or read a situation, given that he was in the restaurant and hospitality business, his forte.

          At the time that I finished my seminary studies and was ordained a priest, he and his wife and other family members came to a Mass and celebration in church with many other family and friends whom I had not seen in a long time.  He sensed that I might not remember everyone instantly in this crowded room and that we had not been together for several years and took the time to re- identify himself clearly, “I’m Richie, the nice one”.  His introduction was humorous and practical- helps me to remember him and exactly what part of the room he was in when he said this.           [*** PAUSE  ***]

          The month of November – of All Souls – and this Gospel reminds us to pray for our own future salvation and to pray for those who have died.

I remember a relative coming up to me and asking me - point blank - is Richie in heaven? For the person who was no longer with us, we have to remember it

is never too late to petition God --- through our praying, fasting, and sacrificing - for the eternal rest and salvation of someone who has died. For the person is no longer on a clock or calendar or even in a “place”, but rather in eternity.

And in the case of suicide, we read in the Catholic Catechism,

[Catechism of CC:

2282 …Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.]

[__03__]   God knows what is in our hearts better than we do.

          And, the Fatima prayer of the Rosary is an excellent petitions for ourselves and for others:

·       “O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of thy mercy. ”

We read and hear of people dying suddenly all the time.  Remember also this prayer from the Divine Mercy chaplet:

·       “For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.”

This Sunday’s Gospel of Matthew 25 reminds us of our own need for repentance.

When I first received the phone call about Richie, I remember looking out horizontally at the parking lot. I could have / should have been looking up vertically, toward God.

I am tempted all the time to look around horizontally to look around horizontally at other people, to compare myself to everyone around me to compare myself to others. And to see that in my phone to see that in my thoughts and in my words and what I have done and what I have failed to do. I for example, waste time worrying about what other people think of me or I wait A time on the computer or on my phone, I'm tempted to satisfy only my physical desires to do what's popular. I justify this because I see, hey, that's what everybody else is doing.

In this regard, I “take after not” Jesus but the Pharisee who compares himself to the tax collector. The Pharisee thinks/says, “Hey, I look pretty good compared to everyone else.

 I also look horizontally at others when I am called to look vertically toward God.

The Gospel reminds of the need for both a horizontal and vertical view.  This Gospel is about the works of mercy which we might be tempted to ignore – because there are oh so many people – horizontally in ouir view  on earth - who are physically hungry, thirsty, naked, imprisoned.

The Gospel invites not simply to look horizontally at who is around us but also vertically at who is above me and God who is calling all of us to a higher road.

We are called to pray, for example, for the intercession of our Blessed Mother for Our Lady of Lourdes, for those those who are sick,

          The Gospel also reminds that God we need God’s help because of what we do and what we fail to do.

          For this we also the sacrament of confession, penance, reconciliation so that we might meet God with a clean heart. As Catholics, we are obligated to go to Confession at least once a year, but I recommend going  - and go myself – at least once a month, so that I am also aware of what I “do and fail to do.”

          Jesus reminds us, his followers, to be prepared for his eventual return, for Judgment  Day and for his call which may arrive at a moment we do  not expect.

I myself can spend a lot of time worrying about the praise of others – HORIZONTALLY ---  rather than the praise of God – VERTICALLY.        We come to church for a true horizontal view our neighbors and relationships and also vertical view of Jesus himself who may arrive with a call or message we did not expect. He wishes us to be ready whether we are at the beginning, the middle or the end of our lives.   [end] 


No comments:

Post a Comment