Sunday, April 23, 2023

Road to Emmaus ("Inside Out") - (2023-04-23, Easter - 03)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___  

__ Click Here for Video of Mass___ 

Homily file for April 23, 2023  -  3rd Sunday Easter (Year A)  Luke 24:13-35, Road to Emmaus

[_01__]  When I was ten (10) years old, and a few weeks before I was to start 5th grade – G -5 – my mother held a press conference in the living room to announce to my brothers and me that we were going to a new elementary school, to leave the public school in our neighborhood and go to the Catholic school across town.

          As a future priest, you would think it would have been joyful and glad, but I was not. Change was bad.

 [_02__]  At age 10, in a relatively short span of time, I experienced a range of emotions from FEAR à ANGER à DISGUST à SADNESS.

          If I had known about the official “stages of grief”, I would not have  been interested because I could not “bargain” my way out of this.

[_03__ I bring this up because there is a great change happening to the 2 disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24)

          They also do not like change. Their world has been turned upside down by the death of Jesus of whom they expected great things. “He was mighty in word and deed.”

          Now, due to a mysterious plan of God which they did not comprehend, Jesus had been put to death.

          And, now they are experiencing a range and ricochet of emotions – fear – anger – disgust – sadness. When Jesus Himself appears – to them – as random bystander and asks, “what were you talking about as you walked along”, they respond in distress, “are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know what just happened?” (Luke 24)

 [_04__]   This question is a paradox – because Jesus is – in fact  - the only visitor to Jerusalem who knows what really happened.

 [_05__]  “Don’t you know ?” -- “Don’t you get it ?” Is this not how we express our complaints and frustrations in plain language when we feel misunderstood or misdirected?

          For example, to one’s wife or husband, one might say “Don’t you know… don’t you get it…”

          Or to one’s inner circle including your neighbors, friends, siblings, children ….adult children, co-workers, a boss … “Don’t you know… don’t you get it…”

          Perhaps you were trespassed against or wronged, or you feel  you were.  At times, in true justice, we have to state – in a loving way – what we are feeling.   Because you and I do have a right to our private thoughts – but sometimes we also have to express them and also to PRAY OVER THEM and through them, and bring them to our Lord who wants to enter into your pain – sadness – fear – anger – disgust – and did so by taking up his cross and dying for you and me.

          Jesus is your personal savior who wants you to talk to him. He is not a fortune-teller or mindreader.

[_06__]  In the meanwhile, don’t we have all of our competing emotions and feelings?

          In 2015 there was a popular movie by Pixar Studios called “Inside Out”. This was totally fictional but “Inside Out” has also been very positively received by both psychologists and church/religious scholars as an accurate and family-friendly look at our emotions and their meaning.

          The movie reminded me of my 10-year old self, because the main character – named Riley – is a 10 year old girl who is told by her parents that the family has to move – for professional/career reasons from the Midwest in Minnesota to the West Coast in California.

          The movie is not just about the people as “characters” but each emotion is a different character.   Joy is a bright yellow sunshine character.  Sadness is a blue character.  And, “Joy” is used to being the emotion in charge but now – due the move to California – has to contend with other emotions of fear, anger, disgust, sadness.

          Every emotion in our lives has a place. There is no such thing as a life without feelings of sadness or fear or anger. Yes, these emotions can get us into trouble. They have gotten me into trouble.

          We can – at times – in fear or sadness – lose ourselves to love in all the wrong places, or to feelings of being devalued or diminished.

          Or we may pursue pleasures or entertainment or even information (gossip, anyone?) which are wrong.

          In prayer and repentance, we are called not to ask God to eliminate this emotions but rather to heal our injuries,  and brokenness and to bring to the Lord what is troubling us.

          This was expressed by the 2 troubled travelers on the road. They did not fully recognize Jesus but still were able to say and pray, “Stay with us for it is nearly evening and the day is almost over.” (Luke 24:29)

 [_07__]  My experience of changing schools was – in fact – a positive experience in which I made many new friends. I am grateful.

          But, I am also aware of my inclination toward over-evaluation or getting into “analysis paralysis” before making a decision.

          No one is going to send me to an unfamiliar uniform store 10 days before Labor Day to put on itchy polyester!

          I must admit that some things in life have worked out well for me, even when I could not – or especially when I could not – evaluate all the options first.

          This is also the virtue of obedience to which we are all called. “Obedience” is not just about a Sister of  Charity going where the provincial sends her…or a priest going to a new parish by the Archbishop. Yes, these are examples.

          But, all of us are called to obey the Commandments which guide and are guardrails for us in purity, integrity, honor, respect… it’s not jus about not stealing…but also about finding creative ways to be honest !

          Regarding obedience as a priest, on the night before my ordination, I was told I would be coming to Our Lady of Lourdes. I never had a chance to run a background check on you. You guys turned out to be all right!

[_08__]  Even the seminary where I studied also turned to be a blessing for me in terms of both study and prayer. But, I vacillated about it for a while. When I was still in the trial or “let’s try on this uniform” phase, I was required to go for an interview with the Rector/Dean of Immaculate Conception Seminary and theology school at Seton Hall U. I had never met him, hardly knew his name.

          But something about my 10-year old experience came roaring back.

          I don’t like change. I was surprised to know his last name was “Coleman” because at age 10, “Coleman School” was the school I had left so suddenly. A minor coincidence? Was I going back?

          The Emmaus Gospel reminds us that Jesus is back. Following him we can find where we belong.  In times of sadness, can we not recognize our need for love of God and neighbor. God loves you.     We all need God’s grace and help and we can say in darkness together, to ask for Christ’s help: “Stay with us for it is nearly evening and the day is almost over.” (Luke 24:29)   [_END__

No comments:

Post a Comment