Saturday, December 25, 2021

Priest. Prophet. King (Christmas) 2021-12-25

Homily – Dec.  25, 2021  /  Christmas __  Title:  Christmas.Priest.Prophet.King

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily __

 

[__00_]  On the day of your baptism, the priest said to you, what kind of a person are you going to be? Those words – precisely - are not in the baptism or ritual. I made that up!

But there is a sense in which a similar idea is expressed. The priest or did not say -- what kind of person are you going to be – but the deacon/priest approached you and put anointing oil on your forehead and said, You are anointed priest, prophet and king. You were anointed priest, prophet, and King, because Jesus comes as a priest as a prophet and a king.

So what kind of person are you going to be? I like the king part, the best I think, that has the most promise.

[__01_]  It has been pointed out (e.g., Boston College Professor Peter Kreeft, (Video: 7 Reasons Why Everyone Should Be Catholic, Apr 18, 2017)  points out in many superhero movies, perhaps every superhero movie, there is trio of

major figures each personifying a a priest, a prophet, and a king.  Kreeft gave these examples:

·        JAWS [shark is not 1 of the 3]– police chief (king), scientist/oceanographer (prophet), blue-collar shark hunter (priest), 

·        Star Trek,  Captain James Kirk (king),  Mr. Spock (prophet),  Dr. “Bones” McCoy, the simple country physician/doctor (priest)

·        Star Wars,  Darth Vader (king – sometimes the king is evil… just like Old Testament!)  Yoda (prophet), Luke Skywalker / Han Solo (priests)

 

 

 

[__02_]   A common thread here is the priests – as disciples – do work.

Priests are supposed to work.  isciples are supposed to work. The problem sometimes is that I sometimes worry I spend more time worrying about why I am not king, or why I have not some come up with the perfect prophetic wisdom in some situation.

Am I really carrying out the work of a priest? And I learned about being a priest first, not before when I went to the seminary I learned about being a priest from my parents. I learned about honesty, forthrightness, sacrifice devotion to family to work.

Recently, we were talking about something about our first house where we grew up in my hometown, and my father said to my sister-in-law, he said, it took me eight minutes, I could get to the train station walking in 8 minutes. I was amazed at how exact he was in his recollection, I got there in 8 minutes. It was an example to me of how devoted he was to his work. And maybe he cut it close a few times. Missed his train? But he but he knew what it was to work. My mother and father did not rule the house as king and queen. They did not rule the house as royalty.

They ruled the house like priests, they were self-sacrificing for the family and the priests in the heart the home.

Your home is meant to be a little church that's in the Catholic atechism that your home is meant to be the Domus ekklesia, a little church, a domestic church.

[__03_]   And even if your kids don't listen to you, okay, you're afraid, oh, my kids, don't listen to me. Because you thought I should have managed or led them better or something or I should have had more scientific or prophetic wisdom for them.

 And that's why they don't listen to me. But you sacrificed for them. You did priestly things for them, and you still do, I am sure. That means a lot.

Sometimes I'd rather be a king. We'd all rather be kings and queens we'd rather be royalty. But in the theology of the church and the Bible, we are priestly people, you are a priestly person. By your baptism, you're called to do this by sacrifice each day.

And in order to do so in accord with your station, your vocation.

[__04_]   I was reminded of this recently that we're called to make sacrifices in accord with who we are.

          St. Josemaria Escrivá (Spain)

wrote that we should make sacrifices in accord with our station in life not sacrifices their call attention to ourselves.

           

Sometimes we think, Oh, I'm going to go on a 14 day fast, or I'm only going to drink water. Well, that's kind of like extreme and maybe we can't really enter into that.

But can we do something smaller on a smaller basis on a smaller self¡sacrificial basis, he writes, for example, that every time we sit down at the table, every time we sit down to eat is an opportunity to make a little mortification or a little sacrifice, maybe something that no one will notice.

But you'll notice God notices. So for example, don't put sugar in your coffee. And then you're like, I don't like sugar in my coffee anyway, so that's okay. Well then, or make have a half a cup of coffee instead of a full cup of coffee, or don't put butter on your bread. These are little sacrifices. And guess what, nobody notices that you're doing them. But that comes right out of Matthew chapter 6, the gospel of Ash Wednesday, anoint your head and wash your face so that you will not appear to others to be fasting. So don't call attention to your fasts. Or another example that I heard recently was, let's say you're a student, you could fast from looking at your phone or your computer for 55 minutes straight, let's say just 55 minutes straight.

Just read your books, read your notes, don't look at the computer or turn off the internet. Or better yet, don't even have the internet on in your room. Just study for 55 minutes straight reading. That's a sacrifice.

And guess what you're going to notice that you're doing it. If I were to do that, I noticed when I'm doing this, when I turn off my phone for even short periods, I noticed that the phone is off, sometimes even forget it's off, and I forget to turn it back on. That's a blessed moment when I forget to turn the phone back on.

So we're called to give ourselves up to give ourselves back to God each day.

[__05_]    The shepherds are examples of this, the shepherds in the Gospel. If we say what kind of person are you? What kind of person you're going to be? Or what kind of person is the shepherd going to be.

Is shepherd going to be a king, the shepherd is not a king. The shepherds of the Jesus's day were not kings. They were not prophets. They were probably not highly educated.

They were like priests. They were self sacrificing. They were going to adore our the newborn savior. And they were doing the simple work that we were called to do. They were the essential workers of their day, and who are the essential workers the shepherds of our day.

They are delivery truck drivers, driving for UPS, FedEx, Amazon and other organizations. They are workers in 24-hour convenience stores. They are those who sanitize and scrub the hospital floor or the doctor's office. They are people who guide and attend to us in stores. They are shepherds.

And I have to ask myself am I living as an essential worker? Am I living with my faith being essential to my life? Am I a priest? Am I a prophet? Or am I a king?

We're all called to a certain royal / kingliness and wise / prophecy in all of us.   

The “king” aspect calls all of us to be merciful. The prophecy calls all of us to study our faith to know our faith. And then the priesthood calls us to sacrifice.

[__06_]     This past Tuesday I entered the church. As a priest, why always enter the churches as a priest but perhaps I became more aware of this. I entered the church in the vestibule and it is not unusual for a delivery to arrive in the church.

 Given that our church address this building is 1 Eagle Rock Avenue and the rectory next door is also 1 Eagle Rock Avenue so sometimes deliveries from Staples or FedEx or Amazon come to the church and then we have to carry them next door.

Do you also find boxes at the wrong address? Wrong place? Side door instead of front? Garage? Yard?  Maybe they were delivered to your Delivery truck drivers have a difficult job they have a lot of destinations to get to.

There was a unusual package in church. But it was not from AMZN.

Right there in the vestibule was a cage cage with a bunny rabbit inside it to completely domesticated pet rabbit.

I am not joking with you. Somebody told me that rabbit knew there was a manger here. Not because the rabbit thought it was Easter so maybe that rabbit is pretty smart. So in my initial reaction, I felt sorry for myself because I now I had to solve this little problem.

I wanted to be king or I wanted to be a prophet with some instantly Mr. Spock answer. Or, I wanted to demand that someone “beam me up…” to solve this problem.

But I wasn't going to be a king, I wasn't gonna be a prophet, I was going to be a priest. And so eventually the next morning, I got up, and I came over and I took some photos of the rabbit not to put on Shutterfly, but took some photos of the rabbit, email the photos out to several parish staff, devoted parish volunteers, some people who look worked for the township of West Orange, and I was surprised how swift this was resolved.

SPOILER ALERT:  you will be glad to know the bunny rabbit was adopted by a capable and enthusiastic young person who works as a technician at a local veterinary / vet / animal hospital.

It was a reminder to me that I do not carry out the work of this parish alone, that I rely on many essential workers, many staff who help us to carry out the work of the gospel here even to rescue those in need. But also it was a reminder to me not to feel too sorry for myself, but also to pray for the person who left behind an animal that might have been very precious to them. Why?

Is this person or family in crisis? Did they suddenly have to vacate their home? What’s going on? That he or she left a domesticated pet? In a cage? In a church with no note? No explanation of any kind, is a reminder of me to do the work of a priest. Pray for the person, not just the person I know. But even the person I don't know or the person I have not known yet. So, on Christmas, we are called to ask what kind of a person are we but we're also called Remind reminded that by our baptism by God's grace, we are called to remember that we can be priestly people, we can be self sacrificial, to do as the shepherds did to go and adore Christ in love of God and love of neighbor.  [END]

No comments:

Post a Comment