Sunday, August 23, 2020

Wake Up. Shape Up. Shake Up. (2020-08-23, Sunday-21)

 2020-08-23 _ 21st Sunday

● Isaiah 22:19-23  ● Psalm 138 ● Romans 11:33-36 ● + Matthew 16:13-20  ●

[_01_]   Like many people, I want to win.

I have a bit of a competitive streak. So, when I heard there was an “intelligence quotient” I.Q. test available online/computer and that my friends are signing up. I thought, I am in, I want to register and compete on this IQ test.

A few weeks ago, I had such an opportunity to “sign up” for such an IQ test right there at the comfort of my computer without going anywhere.

It was about 8 in the morning. I was fresh, ready to go.

I wanted to win, with a high score.

[_02_]    After the final question, I was asked for my email address which I did not want to give up to someone I did not know.

          Also, it was getting kind of close to the beginning of Morning Mass at 8:30 am. And, I had a choice to make…. Do I hang around this I.Q. test and the computer, or do I go where I am supposed to be, to church?

          I decided in a rare act of self control around the computer where I can be easily distracted and drawn in and I said,

          “You Jesus are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.”

          I am not giving my email address, I am walking away from the I.Q. test.  I had to be in church.

[_03_]    GOSPEL.

          The disciples are being asked questions by Jesus as teacher. It’s not an I.Q. test.

          1st Q: “who do people say that I am?”   

          And, they respond:  some people ‘like’ you as Elijah, say you as Moses, ‘like’ you as Jeremiah.

          Then, Jesus asked, “but who do you say that I am?”

          Jesus was trying to wake them up to his identity.

          That it’s not about their I.Q., or my I.Q., but that our lives are about Jesus, and our personal relationship to him.

          Faith is a wake-up call.

          I’d like to discuss in this homily, faith as a “wake-up”, for I had to wake myself to choose “church” over the computer.

          What’s my natural and preferred natural way of doing things? Take the I.Q. test, rack up points, and prove how smart I am to everyone. That’s my twisted broken way. There is another way. Wake up!

          2nd Faith is also a shape-up. I use the word “shape”as in circle or triangle.  Faith as a shape up.

          3rd. And, faith as a shake-up. We are in time “shake up” or instability right now.

 

[_04_]   Faith is a shape-up.

By the way, all the regular physical work-out gyms are closed, we are open for your fitness and discipline. No membership fee!

And, we are called to practice virtues and disciplines with intention.

          Through prayer and quiet, I can better see – we all can – the shape or connectivity our lives. This is the continuity or shape of faith rather than the disruptive force of my own ego helps me to see this. It is a commitment.

         

[_05_]     Faith in God and Gospel has provided me with the consolation beyond my I.Q. and personal strength that God is merciful to me not only in my triumphs but also in my troubles.

          Also, in prayer and quiet time before the Blessed Sacrament reminds me to see how I have been blessed by my own parents and family, by you the Lourdes parish family, by our parish staff and volunteers.

          To see the connectivity and shape of our lives.

 

 [_06_]    Faith in God is also going to shake us up. It’s a shake up. There will be instability.

          Right now, we are in a time of great shake up, instability, uncertainty due to the pandemic, due to sheltering at home, school.

          At the end of the Gospel this Sunday, Jesus orders the disciples to be secret and silent.

          Jesus, first, reveals he is the Messiah but then tells them not to say anything. Why?

          Is this yet another shake up?

          He says this because he knows that they still need further instruction on who the Messiah is, their I.Q. needs to go a few points higher.

          For now, he is waking them up and shaping them up. And he will further shake them up next Sunday.

          I’d like to share an example…  

 

[_07_]   At the beginning of game # 5 of the 2013 basketball season, I was a chaplain for the men’s basketball team at [FDU] Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck. I already been the chaplain – with the team – for 4 games.

          We liked to win, to be victorious also, just as I wanted to win on the I.Q. test.

We had 1 victory, 3 losses. No one – I assure you – was blaming me or blaming God for having only 1 victory. Were “one and three”.

          Game # 5 was scheduled at Rutgers (New Brunswick, actually at the R.A.C. in Piscataway). We were in a hurry to get to the basketball arena, due to a traffic delay and heavy rain.

          We were one hour late.

          Due to the delay, things changed before the game. The coach told me, “Ok, Father Jim, there is no time for a public prayer with the players in the locker room. Silent prayer today, Father Jim, private prayer.”.

          It reminded me – in some parallel way – what Jesus says to the disciples: “don’t’ tell anyone about me…” Be silent.

          Then, the team went out to the basketball court to play Rutgers whom Fairleigh Dickinson defeated in an upset. FDU does not normally beat Rutgers and certainly not in Rutgers “home” arena and not after being one hour late.

          The coach was pleased. From that point on, I did a lot of silent prayers, private prayers for the team.

          I still pray for the coach and players.

          So, the shake up for me was remember that those we pray for … when we are separated from them…or maybe they do not even notice us praying them, that these prayers matter…

 

          And, they are not just effective because someone wins, but because we experiencing the win or loss together.

          About 4 months ago – in May of this year, the same coach of the same team wanted me to pray with his team again. This time it was on a Zoom conference call. The season was over, cancelled as all sports have been, but he wanted his players to know that their connection to each other as a team and their growth as individuals is went grade point average or shooting percentage or wins and losses.

[_08_]     We are called to pray for others, even for those who do not believe in God, those who do not go to church or cannot come to church right now.

          Jesus prayer for us and questions to us remind us to … WAKE UP… 

both life and eternal life.

          To be shaped up and changed by his mercy. For mercy and forgiveness are not gifts or “stamps of approval” so that we can remain the same but so that we can be converted and change and recognize Jesus as the Christ, the Son of the Living God, our Savior.

          And, faith reminds that Jesus will endure the ultimate shakeup laying down his life for you and me.  That’s the greatest love and victory of all.

          Want to win?

          Tune in next Sunday.

          To be continued.

 [_fin_]

No comments:

Post a Comment