Sunday, May 3, 2020

"Did You Hear the one about ...?" (2020-05-03, Easter, 4th Sunday)


2020-05-03  –  4th Sunday Easter - Good Shepherd Sunday
● Acts 2:14a, 36-41 ● Psalm 23 ● 1 Peter 2:20b-25  ● + John 10:1-10 ●

[_01_]     Medicine.  Did you hear the one about the nurse, the doctor and the lawyer? It was a Friday night and the 3 of them walked into a bar.
The doctor and nurse go into the bar and people immediately start asking them medical questions.  After a while, the doctor and nurse go over to the lawyer and say… “Every time we are out in public, at social events, birthday parties, family parties, or at this bar … people are always asking us for advice, telling us their aches and pains, and ailments, and anxieties about this or that disease.”
And, the lawyers says: “People ! You’re telling me. This happens to me also. People are always asking me for legal advice, about contracts and court appearances and all their troubles. So, I decided …I would answer their questions, but also sending them an invoice, a bill for my services.”
The doctor and nurse were stunned and shocked.  Who would not be?  But, they were also fascinated – could it work? intrigued by this and they tell all the other doctors and nruses
So, on Monday morning, they go back to work. The doctors and nurses get their bills ready, they go to the mailbox..but before they can send anything out… before they really send out a bill, they open the mailbox… and there is a bill from the lawyer they met in the bar.
[_02_]     My apologies to LAWYERS ….but I just share this as an example of what we both expect and celebrate – during this COVID 19 pandemic and its aftermath this the generous spirit and willingness of medical professionals and caregivers at all levels – nurses, doctors, physicians, technicians, those who disinfect and clean in health care settings, the reception staff – the willingness of all of them, right now, to give without counting the cost.
          They follow the Golden Rule as articulated in Luke’s Gospel:
          “Give to everyone who asks of you, and from the one who takes what is yours, do not demand it back. Do to others  as you would have them do to you.”  (Luke 6:31)
          And, that is what we expect of medical professionals.
          When I was in high school, I went to an orthodontist – Dr. Silvestro - who was right around the corner, a dentist and orthodontist who my parents really liked because he was a disciplinarian.
          He expected you to behave in the chair, not to talk back…he was kind of a tough guy, but I also knew – not just because of his degree – but also because he was my neighbor that he cared for me and my brothers and all patients.
          He was, in many ways, all business – do this, wear this, your teeth will be straighter. Don’t complain. See me in 2 months.
          That was the deal. It worked. We are still friends.
          About 10 years after I finished with him, I happened to go to another dentist because I needed a tooth extracted, pulled,  … and for whatever reason, I ended up really swollen … it was very temporary.
          Anyway, I was little worried – but I knew my neighbor – Dr. Silvestro was home..I called him up. I wondered what he would say about this. Toughen up?
          He agreed – very readily to see me. He insisted that I come to his office right around the corner. All I remember was that – now 10 years later – he was all smiles and compassion and sympathy. I did not need an appointment. He assured me that I would be fine.
          The swelling went down. It was not a big deal, but the encounter, the friendship was everything to me at that moment.
          That was the “appointment”

[_03_]      I use these as examples to ask this question – what do we expect of medicine? What do we expect of being the patient to a doctor….or – in the Gospel - the disciple to the Good Shepherd?
          I venture to say – we expect not just to be helped, but to be changed, by the experience.
          Consider the best doctor, the kindest nurse, the most compassionate x-ray technician – whoever it was… did they not change you not only by what they put into you …or made you do… they changed you because of they were, they changed you by their character.
          And, even if they sent you a bill, even if there was a copayment, I bet you were still impressed by all they were to you.

[_04_]      Our encounter with Jesus the Good Shepherd, is an encounter with a person, a person who lays down his life for his sheep.

Benedict XVI began his encyclical Deus Caritas Est (God is Love) with God’s love for us, saying: “Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, [meeting God as a loving] person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.” Our learning to love comes from God who loved us first. He adds: “Since God has first loved us (cf. 1 John 4:10), love is now no longer a mere ‘command’; it is the response to the gift of love with which God draws near to us.”

[_05_]      St. Thomas Aquinas wrote that we love because out of “initiative” or to make someone a object or project of your love?  Have you tried to make someone the object of your love? Even a mother and father love their child not as an object outside of themselves but as one to whom they are united.
          For this very reason, parents mourn deeply and need our greatest compassion should they suffer the death of a child.
          We don’t love simply as a “service project”  …. We love out of a sense of unity, community. That’s why thousands of medical professionals came to New York during COVID 19.
          One writer observed: there is certainly a reward is the beloved, the reward is the good of the other. The reward is knowing the other person exists.  (Margaret Harper McCarthy, The Revelation of Love and its Appeal the Heart, The Way of Love, Reflections on [B16] Deus Caritas Est, San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2006, p. 111)
          The reward is Jesus, who loves us and helps us to sustain and keep our existence and ability to love.  He also helps us to change. Listen to his voice. [end here?]
          And, we are reminded in the 23rd psalm …. that this is a love that can overflow from God to us and to others.   [__fin___]

No comments:

Post a Comment