Sunday, October 27, 2019

“Satisfaction”: Pharisee & Publican (2019-10-27, Sunday-30)

2019 October 27 /  30th Sunday

●● Sirach 35:12-14,16-18 ● Psalm 34 ●  2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18 ● + Luke 18:9-14 ●●
9:30 am Mass

Title:  “Satisfaction” = [S]

[__01__]      1965.  In the year, 1965,  Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and the Rolling Stones – starting singing a famous song called “Satisfaction” or “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.” = [S]
          Fortunately, for them, Grammarly had not yet been invented, but your grade-school grammar teacher would not approve either ….but that’s poetic license for you: “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”
          The song [Satisfaction] has been heard, downloaded, listened to, on a billion-and-one playlists and on the radio.
          Please do not turn off your electronic devices during this reflection.
[__02__]      I bring this up and would like to quote some verses because in the Gospel, the:
          Pharisee wants [S]
tax collector wants [S]
          They want to be satisfied; we want to be satisfied.
          And, I would like to connect [S] with the confession of our sins or our faults, and what does [S] mean in the confession of our sins? (in the closing part of this reflection).
         
[__03__]       The confession of our sins and contrition (or sorrow) for our sins also leads to [S], but I want be careful how we define [S] or “being satisfied.”


[__04__]      Who is satisfied?  It’s safe to say that the Pharisee is very satisfied /pleased with himself and dissatisfied/displeased with his neighbor, the tax collector.
          And, sometimes we too also find [S] by comparing ourselves in a search for material wealth or value or success or knowledge,
Comparing ”my grades in school to another person’s grades or scores” …. “my statistics on the playing field to another person’s stats…” ….. “my family to another person’s family…” … “my level of income…my home… my style of raising children…”
What do Mick Jagger and Keith Richards & the Rolling Stones …have to say?
When I’m ridin’ round the world, and I’m doin’ this and I’m signin’ that … I can’t get no satisfaction… ”  (: || ~ 2x)
        
I’m reciting these lyrics to you, rather than singing them. You’re welcome …

[__05__]       The ancient tax collectors of Jesus’ day were ridin’ round the world, doin’ this, signin’ that. … taking people’s money, committing all kinds of fraud – fraudulent action – and the tax collectors were rightly rejected and despised.
          So, it was a surprise the first time Jesus said all of this (we’ve heard it before …this is like a frequently downloaded song that we know about tax collectors)… but Jesus was getting their attention getting in annoying way … like me … clicking my pen over and over again…. I have been guilty of this… well, Jesus was clicking his pen by bringing up the tax collectors as people who are going to get into heaven ahead of you and me. They did not want to hear about tax collectors making a spiritual comeback.
          It would be as though he told us that “dealers in illicit drugs and opioids and those who sell vaping devices” are going to get into heaven ahead of you because they have repented…
          Or, some corrupt celebrity is going to get into heaven ahead of you. Consider the resentment and revilement heaped upon Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin and other Hollywood star/parents for their bribery of college admissions officers and NCAA coaches in the so-called “college admissions scandal”.
          If Felicity Huffman were to get into heaven ahead of me… then à (I Can’t Get No)  [S].
[__06__]       So, we should be careful about ridin’ round the world’ comparing ourselves to others. The baseline or standard is not “me versus you” …. “me versus the latest celebrity in a prison jumpsuit.”
          It is our walk with Jesus, our desire to be compared with and be united with Christ and his virtue.
         
[__07__]       How do I get satisfaction ?
Mick Jagger / Keith Richards would say…:
When I’m drivin’ in my car and a man comes on the radio and he’s telling me more and more about some useless information supposed to fire my imagination … … I can’t get no satisfaction… ”  (: || ~ 2x)
          So, there is in our world ”some useless information [supposed to fire the imagination] ” and the tax collector – guilty of the fraud and dishonesty is aware of it….he – of all people comes humbly before God, he gets it.
          He gets it ..or as we say … he “owns it”. He owns his faults.
          In the Gospel, the tax collector says. “O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”
          Jesus summarizes that if we are going to be like the Pharisee we are only exalting ourselves and we will be humbled.
          But, if we are like the tax collector, we will be humbling ourselves and will be exalted.
         
[__08__]       Now, I’d like to comment on the forgiveness of sins and the connection to [S].
Have you experienced the forgiveness of sin? The experience of God forgiving your sin in the sacrament of penance and reconciliation, or just another person forgiving you?
          We believe that forgiveness is a gift, it’s not a prison sentence we endure and at the end we are forgiven…nor is it a debt we repay and the bottom of a VISA statement and then we are forgiven.
Rather we are forgiven first, then we are asked to change, to pay it forward, to forgive others as we have been forgiven.

[__09__]       As Catholics we are called to confess our sins, to repent of our sins.
          I recognize that this may be fearful or unfamiliar to us, the very idea of telling our sins to a priest or the idea of holding in our heart and bringing to the light what we have done wrong.
          We may prefer to forget about than to forgive someone who has hurt us. Or, of ourselves, might prefer to be forgotten than to be forgiven.
          But, the confession of sins is meant to lead us to a new level of [S].
          [S] is not measured in material things …or what we own.  
“Material things ” includes the value of people liking us. But, that’s not [S] in Christ’s terms.
          [S] is measured in what we “own” and “take responsibility for” before God.
          In the Gospel, the tax collector says. “O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”
          Catholic priests too are called to go to confession. I go to confession to a priest.
         
[__09__]       The 3 steps of the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation are CONFESSION – CONTRITION – and SATISFACTION.
          Well, “confession” means simply putting it out there…. Stating what we have done wrong.
          But, “contrition” might seem to be a hindrance, a bother.  Because, I am supposed to say “I am sorry”.   But, I might be – you might be – sorry for the wrong reasons…or fearing that we are not really sorry..or truly sorry.
          Our sorrow may be tied only into a fear of punishment or the fear of some other material loss in value. Yes, this does not make our sorrow completely invalid.  It just makes our sorrow, for now, “incomplete” or imperfect. But, that is enough…that’s a starting point.
          So, don’t worry too much if you do not know the Act of Contrition prayer, or you’re not sure if you are really sorry. The priest will guide you – I will guide you – through the steps of a confession.  
          It is in the act of connecting with God in the sacrament that makes our contrition complete.
          But this is not magic…it’s just the way we are made.  It is based on the fact that God knows when we sit and when we stand, knows our inmost being, knows what we need in the complete connection of this mercy. (That’s from Psalm 139 not the Rolling Stones).
          But, I believe we have knowledge of this.  For example, is this journey from the “incomplete sorrow/contrition” to a “complete sorrow/contrition” one that we have traveled?    Let’s say that I offend someone…I have some vague idea that I did something wrong… but I’m not really sure what it is or how bad it was.  We may not even know – ourselves – was there a tiny bit more than a tiny bit of bad intent?  I may not be absolutely sure of how malicious or intentional I was. It may take me a while to realize this. But, still, I am capable of both confession and some level of contrition/sorrow.
          I also may not know if – or to what degree - the other person was offended.
          But, consider… after I apologize, after we are forgiven – we pray and hope – by the other person, then we know how complete and important our confession and contrition was.
          It happens in the moment. It’s a gift from outside of ourselves.
          Similarly, God does the same in absolving us and forgiving us for our confession and  contrition.
          That’s how we get [S]
[__fin__]      

No comments:

Post a Comment