Sunday, September 29, 2019

Do you know me ? (2019-09-29, Sunday- 26)

• 2019 September 29 •  26th Sunday
Version 1 was originally for Sept. 8

•  Amos 6:1a, 4-7  •   Psalm  146  •1 Timothy 6:11-16 •  Luke 16:19 - 31 •           

Title:    Do you know me ?

[_01_]  “Do you know me?” 

E.g., those of you who are old enough to remember the phrase, “Do you know me?” will easily recall that it was an ADVERTISEMENT for the credit card American Express card that helped the famous people in those commercials buy a product or service or get something … – with the card and because they had the American Express card …
So – for example – let’s say the ad were running in 2019.   While in 2019,everyone knows what Amazon is and may also know that Jeff Bezos is the head of Amazon, they may not know what Jeff Bezos looks like. So, you would see Jeff Bezos in a store buying something and asking “do you know me” and then he reveals his or her name with the AmEx card.
          So -- we all have an identity worth remembering..and we all can be “known” even if we are not famous.
That brilliant TV ad campaign was so successful that dozens of big-name celebrities asked to be in the television ad.

[_02_]      The rich man of today’s example thinks – he thinks – that people know his name and that he is important and well-to-do. And in a monetary and material sense, he is well to do, he was well-to-do.
          But, it is also a caution to us.  about choosing and making choices and priorities.
          Last Sunday’s parable concluded with the words –“you cannot serve both God and mammon.”   And, “mammon” is an ancient Aramaic-language word for “riches.”
          So, the parable today is about what and who is important.
          I’d like to connect this idea of “do you know” or  “do you know me” to the idea of
..COURTESY… to COMMUNITY and to CHARITY…

[_03_]      1st. Courtesy.
          I have visited the offices/Archdiocesan offices by the Cathedral in Newark more than 100 times for various functions or meetings over the past 10 years or so. I am not saying I am important…I am just one of many who has been there.
          During those 100-plus visits, I have walked past the same 2 security guards at the reception desk well over 100 times.
          I have no idea what their names. If one of them were to ask me, “do you know me?” I would be ashamed to admit, No, I do not know you. I should know you.
          Fortunately, they have not asked and they very cordially smile with recognition because they do know my face … you know that way that someone recognizes you by face.
          It is a common courtesy and kindness to learn someone’s name.
Yet, this does not happen instantly. It may take a while to learn associate both names and persons, because we may not see people every day.
          Was Lazarus at the doorstep, at the door, every day? It seems so.
          That’s the end of my section on “courtesy” & knowing names. Now I’d like to touch on “community” & knowing names.

[_04_]   2nd. Community.
          There is a small community within this Gospel episode and example. They are 3 people, in order of appearance :  the rich man, Lazarus, Abraham.
          St. Jerome the ancient biblical scholar wrote that it is notable that the apparently prominent “Rich man” does not have a name. Jesus gives him no name. In some traditional commentary, you may hear him referred to as “Dives”…but that’s like calling him… “Moneybags” or “Richy Rich” or some other nickname. He has no real name.
          Lazarus, the poor beggar -- and he is definitely not an American Express cardholder –  he has a name.
          This is St. Jerome’s point that wealth and money do not give us an identity or relationships … and in the rich man’s case … his wealth separates him from community rather than tying him to the community.   What’s important to be in a community – learn some names.
          The rich man may have known the name of poor Lazarus during his life.
          So, our calling as Christians is not just about knowing names, but using them…. And allowing ourselves to know others and to be known by God in a community.
          We have touched on the courtesy of knowing names, and the community in which which we are called to know each other.
          I’d like to touch on the idea of charity.
[_05_]    3rd. Charity.
          Will I gan salvation and be perfectly right with God an with others simply because I know people’s names …or because other people know my name?
          No, there’s more to it than that. But, I certainly can get pulled into or pulled down by the idea that I must be liked and known.
I do not want to be forgotten.
          But, how do I treat those whose names I already know? Do I pray for them? Endeavor to know them? Endeavor to pray that God wil give them what they need?
          When I was a kid – maybe 13 years old – I recall beinig corrected for my boldness by my father who was displeased because I had failed to properly address my mother by name…and what was worse, my mother was in the room, right there. I had referred to my mother as “she” and was told you know ..you never refer to your mother  as “she”… it’s Mom or Mommy.
          I do notice that it’s really easy to fall out of the practice of calling others by name….especially if we are angry or upset or feeling indifferent.
          While the rich man evidently knew Lazarus’ name ..he certainly did not use it much except when he needed something..
          Here at Lourdes, I meet with engaged couples who are preparing for wedding/marriage and we have conversations in which they talk about themselves and also talk to me about their future spouse. I ask them – require them – not to refer to the other person as “she” or “he”. You must – in my presence – use other peron’s name.  And, I suggest it’s not just to make the other person feel good but also to remember that we are all named by God, even before we were born.
          I am grateful for those who have prayed for me – by name – those whom I do not know.
            And, if you can use the name of someone whom you may be upset with, or have a disagreement with…that’s not just courtesy or community. That’s charity. That’s true love. That’s God. Do you know Him?  [_fin_]    

No comments:

Post a Comment