Sunday, June 23, 2019

Interest Free Borrowing (2019-06-23, Corpus Christi)

• 2019 June 23 •  Corpus Christi Sunday •

• Genesis 14:18-20  • Psalm 110  • 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 • +John 9:11b-17 •           

[_01_]  The multiplication of the loaves miracle is the Gospel reading for today = Corpus Christi Sunday – which is Latin for the Body of Christ. I’d like to reflect on the meaning and celebration of the Eucharist… for us … using this Gospel and using this example.
         
On May 25, 2006, I stopped in at ... and later departed from my the home of my mother and father. I stopped there because there were family visitors and it was a few days before my ordination as a priest at the cathedral in Newark – the Mass of my ordination as a priest.  I had just finished my seminary studies at Immaculate Conception Seminary at Seton Hall University.
          As I was leaving the house, somewhat hastily, I went to the door – to go out – and I put on a pair of black shoes at the front door, left and later wore those black shoes to the cathedral.  They were not my black shoes.
          The shoes belonged to my future brother-in-law and my sister’s boyfriend, Jeff … he found it humorous that I was not wearing my own shoes – but rather his shoes … on my feet throughout the entire celebration of my ordination, my first blessing as a priest in the cathedral after ordination and later, celebrating Mass in church as a priest for the first time on the next day on Sunday.
          Well, I had to wear some shoes – like they says at the retail establishments and at the Jersey shore and boardwalk in the heat of summer --  no shirt, no shoes, no service.
          I needed those shoes, those borrowed shoes.

[_02_]  There is a borrowing and lending going on in the Gospel this Sunday, this Corpus Christi Sunday.  And, the borrowing is also for serving, for service, for love.
In the Gospel of the Multiplication of the Loaves “borrowing” is a necessary component … not a borrowing of any article of clothing or money but a borrowing of the loaves of bread and fish to make the miracle possible.
This miracle is similar to the wedding at Cana in which water H2O is borrowed and used to be transformed into the bountiful and best wine.
[_03_]   The material for the miracle is not borrowed from the Temple …it is not borrowed from the Pharisees or the scribes. And the apostles do not go into town to purchase it in person or online.
It is borrowed from an ordinary person.
          In some renditions of the miracle, the one who possesses and shares the loaves of bread and fishes is a young boy …whose youth indicates his simplicity and poverty.
          So, also, our simple and sometimes impoverished gifts to God mean something – God can transform and multiply what we give Him.
Jesus wants to use what we have – what is brought to him – in order to perform the miracle.
The apostles, on the other hand, want to dismiss the crowd, send them into town to buy food … the apostles – at least right now – do not recognize that what the people bring is already enough  for Jesus to work with.
Certainly, in my own ministry as a priest, I have to remember that my own talents are enough for God to work with …that your talents are enough for God to work with …and that together we can do something beautiful.


[_04_]   BORROWING ..is necessary in order to get started.
Often, the hardest part about any endeavor or project is to get STARTED …or if we have been interrupted… to get re-STARTED. Because getting re-started ourselves is not as easy as just turning ON a device.
          We may have to contribute something ourselves. The re-start happens also here in our worship.
          Of course, the re-start of our worship happens at the beginning of Sunday Mass when we stand for the procession and make the sign of the cross, listen to the readings and homily …which I can only hope is somewhat engaging.
          But, as another priest once told me… the goal is not for me to re-write the Gospel you …but for you – in your own conversion to re-boot, to re-start and – in a sense – write the message yourself or complete the message yourself. If you come up with something for next Sunday, let me know !
          But, truly, I welcome your comments, your questions about anything I may say or what I may not say.

[_05_]   So, the hardest part about a new project is to get started – and each Sunday Mass, we re-start, we re-boot, with the preparation of the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
          It is quite easy for us to treat the readings and sermon – which vary from week to week – as somehow more important than the Liturgy of the Eucharist – which at first glance – appears exactly the same each Sunday.
          But, actually, it is different each Sunday – because each Sunday you are different. Every Sunday, I am different. God is the same, but you are ever changing.
The theologian Josef Pieper wrote that to be made in God’s image – to be a child of God – as we are – we recognize that we are never fully completed – we are continually receiving our being and our essence from our heavenly Father. (Josef Pieper, Faith, Hope, Love, San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1997, p. 62)
          What is different in the Liturgy of the Eucharist is each Sunday – for example – is that a different person – or group of persons – brings forward the bread and the wine to the altar.
          It’s almost like a different person lends the loaves and fishes each time. You are this person.
          And, this ritual – symbolic action – also reminds us that your gifts are important to this celebration. For this reason, we also want to include you in this gifts procession and we welcome you also to volunteer to bring up the gifts of bread and wine. We are often looking for volunteers ! (Please do not run away… you may want to start preparing excuses …)
          But, whether you volunteer to walk up the aisle or no – your prayer intentions are also being brought the altar to be raised up and consecrated before God.
          Your prayers – your prayer intentions - are on this altar.
          In the 141st psalm we read:
I have cried to thee, O Lord, hear me: hearken to my voice, when I cry to thee. Let my prayer be directed as incense in thy sight; the lifting up of my hands, as evening sacrifice.” (Psalm 141)
          Your prayers are like the fire and smoke of incense rising up to God.
         
[_06_]    On the day of my ordination as a priest, I was standing – literally – in someone else’s shoes, my future brother-in-law…
          But, was I not also meant to be standing in someone else’s shoes…and you are as well, when we come before God for Holy Communion.
          Receiving Holy Communion, you and I are also meant to stand, called to stand and walk in someone else’s shoes …or, perhaps, sandals. Jesus Christ, our Savior.
          It’s sometimes strange and uncomfortable to wear someone else’s shoes.  In this case, in my 2006 ordination day, it worked out quite well, because it turned out – future my brother-in-law, Jeff, and I were about the same size.
          And, I was thinking about so many other things that I hardly noticed I was wearing someone else’s shoes.
          But, this is good news!
          Jesus does not want us to notice that we are wearing his shoes.
          What we read in the Ash Wednesday Gospel … It is good news to be able to give without our left hand know what our right is doing (or in my case… without my left foot knowing what my right was doing).
          It is good news not to notice … to forget that we are fasting and sacrificing -- just to make it part of our routine.
And, isn’t it true that our many of our most loving and prayerful generous actions are the ones that do not get noticed or notoriety, fame or fortune, maybe the ones that we do not notice ourselves doing.
          And, I believe this also applies to our own actions of forgiveness – to forgive one another’s trespasses, and sins … in other words … it is often hard to forgive someone else… and it’s hard when the other person does not know or “appreciate” the forgiveness.
          But, the forgiveness is not just for the quote unquote “perpetrator” to feel less guilty. The perpetrator may not yet acknowledge his or her sin or guilt.
          The forgiveness is for you and for me to be free… even if it goes unnoticed.
          It is good news when Jesus’ shoes and sandals and ways of walking start to feel like our own.

[_07_]   Looking back on the incident of the borrowed shoes and my ordination, I also recall that these shoes came from someone who was not yet a part of our family … yes, he was my sister’s boyfriend… but they were not yet engaged and 2 years away from being married…
          Today, Jeff is my brother-in-law …and I would regard him as a brother… not just because of the interest-free loan.
          We are called to lend ourselves to God, to neighbor.
          We are made as brothers and sisters, sometimes with those we do not yet know.
          But, when we lend ourselves and give, God can do the multiplying and provide for all.
[_fin_]   

No comments:

Post a Comment