Friday, December 8, 2017

Immaculate Conception (2017-12-08)

Immaculate Conception 2017
December 8, 2017
Genesis 3:9-15, 20 ● Psalm 98 ●   Ephesians 1:3-6,11-12 ● + Luke 1:26-38

[__01__] This is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, on which we recall the gift of Mary as Mother of God and her own distinct place in our salvation and her relationship to Christ her Son and our Savior.
          On this feast of the Immaculate Conception, we recall 2 types of freedom, 2 manifestations of freedom.  
First, there is FREEDOM in the REBELLION of Adam and Eve.
          Then, there is the FREEDOM in the SERVICE of our Blessed Mother Mary and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

[__02__A few years after I learned to drive a car, an automobile, with a New Jersey driver’s license on my person, I discovered a new level of personal freedom, mobility, autonomy.
            Of course, I knew about being careful and continue to pray for safe journeys.
            But I also recognize that with this mobility, with these keys, I could go when I wanted and where I wanted and for as long as I wanted.
            I did not have to worry about catching the last train home, calling for a ride, or figuring out when my friends were departing.
            One summer evening – when I was home from college – I returned well after MIDNIGHT.
            My father was home at the time. And, I had his car. By the way, did I forget to tell you that I had all this so-called FREEDOM, but it was not really my own car.
            So, my father is waiting for me to return. It was very late.

[__03__] Now, there were telephones in those days. We did not call them land lines, but we had telephones in houses, pay phones too.
            But, I had no intention of calling to say that I would be late. That would reduce my freedom, my mobility.
[__04__] As I walked up the stairs and opened the door, I recall this question: “Where were you?”
            I responded, “I was out…”
            But, there was no further discussion.
            It reminded me of the question posed by God at the gate or garden steps of Eden to Adam and Eve. Searching for them, he says:  “Where are you?”  (Genesis 3:9)

[__05__] And, in any reflection or act of repentance, we are asked this question, “where are you?”  or “where am I?”
            This is not the same as the CSI or Law & Order (or your parents’) question “where were you on the night of July 27th ….” Such a question is an accusation.
            God does not come to accuse us. But he does not come to excuse us either. He comes to invite us, to have a conversation with us, “where are you?”
            So, it is not only question about what we have done but also what we are doing, who we are and who we will become.
            “Where are you?”
            It is a question not only about our faults but also about our freedom.
[__06__] On this feast of the Immaculate Conception, we recall 2 types of freedom, 2 manifestations of freedom.  
First, there is FREEDOM in the REBELLION of Adam and Eve.
Then, there is the FREEDOM in the SERVICE of our Blessed Mother Mary and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

[__07__]  In the Book of Genesis, Adam and Eve exercise their freedom – their rebellion – in the shadows, in the dark and possibly in the middle of the night.
          Pope Benedict XVI, in a 2005 homily, wrote that “we live in the right way, if we live in accordance with the truth of our being… for God’s will is not a law for the human being imposed from the outside.” (Benedict XVI, Homily, Immaculate Conception, 8 December 2005, Cappella Papale on 40th Anniversary of Vatican II)

[__08__]  I use my example of arriving home late – years ago – as an example that we wall want – at some time – to set our own limits, define our own curfews, make our own laws.
          In such a way, we gain freedom or we think we do.
          But, is freedom defined by a maximum number of choices?
          Benedict XVI further wrote and reflected that sometimes we think evil is good or at least necessary: “We think that a little bargaining with evil, keeping for oneself a little freedom against God is basically a good thing perhaps even necessary.” (Benedict XVI, Homily, Immaculate Conception, 8 December 2005, Cappella Papale on 40th Anniversary of Vatican II)
          Lots of people seem to think this way and unfortunately their actions – our own with this attitude – can be taken to extremes and cause great harm to themselves and to others.
          Check your local listings.

[* * * PAUSE * * * ]

[__09__] Mary, our Blessed Mother is an example of FREEDOM and FIDELITY, FREEDOM and TRUST,
FREEDOM and MOBILITY.

[__10__] I have professed, at times – we have all professed at times – a belief that if we abandon ourselves to God – if we completely trust His ways, then we become a marionette, a puppet on a string.
          By the way, someone recently told me that no one knows what a marionette (puppet on a string is anymore).
          So, let me put it this way. If we completely trust His ways, then we become an AVATAR in a divine video game in which God is pressing START, STOP, and turning the volume UP or DOWN.

[__11__] Mary, our Blessed Mother, gives us an example of the disciple who becomes not lesser – but greater – by the gift of her heart, her flesh, person and personality to her Son, and the Son of God, our Savior.
          Surely, Jesus shared and inherited not only some of Mary’s features and appearance  (blood type, genes, sensory perception…) , but also affection and attitude and compassion…. 
          Surely, Jesus inherited not only some of Mary’s features but also her freedom and free will.
          With this sense of freedom, he was able to say Yes to suffering for our sins.
          With this sense of freedom, she – Mary – had the courage to say with Christ at Calvary.
In this regard, her freedom was her mobility, her freedom of movement, while others rebelled into the shadows.
With just a few others, Mary stayed up later than all the rest, trusting in God’s infinite mercy.
Notre Dame de Lourdes, priez pour nous.
          Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Our Lady of Lourdes, Pray for Us.  [__fin__]

No comments:

Post a Comment