Sunday, October 8, 2017

Good News ? (2017-10-08, Sunday-27)

[__ver-03__]

Start:       Finish:

SUNDAY 8th October 2017, 27th Sunday Ordinary Time
 • Isaiah 5:1-7 • Psalm 80 • Philippians 4:6-9 •  + Matthew 21:33-43 •

Title:  “Good News?”

[__01__]   Being left back, being asked to repeat a grade may not be perceived or received as good news.
          Not knowing any better, I had the audacity to ask my elementary school principal why one of my classmates was not promoted from first grade to second grade. I figured he would know.
          So, right there in the parking lot, I asked him about the situation of why this young person – my classmate – was not in second grade. Why was he left back?
           
[__02__]   To be honest, I only recall the situation because my parents were embarrassed that I would ask such a question to such a person at such a place and time.
          Could any good come of this? Could there be any good news?

[__03__]   I suggest that the parable of the tenants in the vineyard is a reminder that we are being taught the good news each day.
          That is, we are taught about the virtue of forgiveness, just at the moment we are tempted to surrender to resentment or retaliation.
          We are taught about the virtue of honesty, just at the moment we are tempted to lie or be dishonest.
          We are taught about the virtue of self-sacrifice just at the moment we are seeking our own comfort or consolation.
          Now, we may not receive the message of these virtues at the exact same moment. But, they sometimes at around the same time, or at approximately the same time.
          And, in this regard, the parable of the vineyard workers and the tenants applies to you and me.
          What happens in the parable is that the vineyard workers/tenants want to eject or eliminate the prophets and preachers of God’s word to them.
          Or, in the language of the Church and Christians, we could say that they do not want to be evangelized. They do not want to hear the Good News.

[__04__]   Sometimes, we do not want to hear the Good News. And, at times, we may feel immersed in sad or bad news that we assume that there is no good news.
         
[__05__]   Our Savior is trying to teach us, through this parable about God’s patience with each of us.
          He is patient because He forgives our sins. On the other hand, we can behave like the wicked tenants who believe that they have no sins or that they cannot be forgiven.
          God is patient, believing in the talents we all have to share. And, though we may -- at times  -- reject even the compliments that come our way, the Lord is sending us the Good News that each of us has something to give.
          This is the good news of God’s patience.

[__06__]   Could anything good come from being left back? Could anything good come from my question?
          What good came of it, according to my parents, was the care and gentleness and compassion with which the principal endeavored to answer my question.
          I don’t remember what he said, but I do recall that my mother was impressed with both his competence and compassion,  not only toward the young boy who was not promoted but also toward me who was a bit out of line in my questioning.
          “None of your business” could have been his response.
          He did not try to remove me from the vineyard or from the conversation.
[__07__]    The Lord also desires that we would remain and be part of his vineyard.


[__fin__]   

No comments:

Post a Comment