Sunday, August 13, 2017

Walking on Water (2017-08-13, Sunday-19)

SUNDAY 13 August 2017, 19th  Sunday Ordinary Time
 • 1  Kings 19:9a, 11-13a • Psalm 85 • Romans 9:1-5 •  + Matthew 14:22-33 •

Title:  “Walking on Water.”

[__01__]   In 1991, I was taking a trip, traveling. I recall it was a bright sunny Sunday afternoon. What could go wrong? I was on my mountain bike – a bicycle – and travelling through an intersection.
            I did not look both ways. Fortunately, the bicycle was the only injured victim. If that bicycle had an air-bag, it would have inflated. The front fork was the, so to say, crumple zone. This absorbed the collision from the moving car. The front fork was easily replaced. I was fortunate.
            Picking myself up after the accident, I knew that I had been foolish, in the wrong, at fault and in the wrong place at the wrong time.
            And, while I walked / pushed / wheeled this “vehicle” home – on its one good wheel – I was also displeased at my own poor choice, though feeling fortunate that nothing worse had happened.
         
[__02__]    After an incident of some fault or failure, we may wonder or question what to do next.
          Peter, the Apostle, is at an intersection, though the intersection is not between two streets, two avenues or at a corner.
          Peter is at the intersection, the crossover between the boat (barque or barca) and the water.

[__03__]    Peter does not lack any [►SPEED] or [►SUGGESTION],

[►SPEED] – with velocity, and rapidly, Peter – with speed – disembarks and gets out of the boat.

Peter also does not lack

[►SUGGESTION] Peter comes up with the idea himself. Peter is calling the shots, telling Jesus not only what to do, but also what to say, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” (Matthew 14:28)


[__04__]    It’s daring, it’s risky what Peter does. And, you and I take risks, dares too. It’s daring, it’s risk to say, “I love you.” And, then, to show the person ”I Love you.”
For example, is  not daring, risk to show to tell someone,
“I love you”.
It is daring, risk, a walk on water to show or tell someone. ►”I disagree with you.”
► forgive someone.
► give up our anger.
► ask forgiveness.
► suggest that a  person needs to change.
►admit to ourselves we need to change a particular attitude.
          At first, this may leave us feeling alone, isolated, with a rising tide – or rising sea level – of  uncertainty, doubt.
          However, as Peter learns and we learn, this RISKS and DARES are possible with the help of our Savior whom we are called to keep in our sight, in our telescope, on our screen, as our destination. 

[__05__]   Peter had the [►SPEED] and the [►SUGGESTION], which were good, but not in themselves sufficient.
          Peter does not have his complete [►SALVATION] without his focus on Christ, without Jesus on his side.

[__06__]    St. Augustine observes that when Peter is out on the water and away from the boat. Peter is saying to the other apostles. Peter is saying to the others, “I got this.” Or “I’ll be me .. you be you.”  This is my [►SPEED] my [►SUGGESTION].

[__07__]    Peter experiences, however distance in 2 ways.
            Peter has his distance and doubt about Jesus. And, sometimes this happens to us. We have made a promise, a commitment, but we lose our way, our focus.
          Peter also experiences distance from the other apostles.
          I would add that as I traveled through an intersection without looking both ways, I had also lost focus and forgotten about who was around me or the precious gift of my own life. So, contrary to the old saying, I had forgotten how to ride a bicycle.
          This was an  example of doubt, distance.
          I had speed, but that was not enough.

[__08__]   It was Peter’s idea to disembark, to get out of the boat, to walk on water. However, the storm is calmed after Peter returns to the boat.
          St. Augustine, in a sermon observes that the boat symbolizes connection, Church, family.
          And, what will keep us aflot is not only our speed – how fast we can travel or hover over the water – but also how connected we are to our community, our family and our church, where our Savior is also present.

          He is present as a familiar friend, so familiar that he introduces himself to us with the simple “It’s me”….
“It is I do not be afraid.” He meets us at the crossroad. We could slow down to encounter him.  [
__fin__]   

No comments:

Post a Comment