Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ash Wednesday 2017 (2017-03-01)

Ash Wed.2017 March 1    [Start]: 9:10   [Finish] 13:30

[]  = [_i.e., _e.g., _to illustrate]

[__01__]   This Gospel reading speaks about the importance of prayer – fasting – charitable giving – in SECRET. (Concept of confidentiality / personal relationship with Christ.)

          What do we mean by SECRETS and SECRECY in this case?
          What I suggest we might consider is the personal and confidential connection we all desire with God and with God’s mercy?
          And, do we not all have confidential information, confidential data?

          For the 40 days of Lent, starting Ash Wednesday, you and I are asked to retain, to remember, to this confidential and personal connection with Christ as our Savior.
          In certain situations, we are strongly motivated to keep secrecy or confidentiality.  Regarding certain information, we endeavor not to reveal the digits of our PIN or Social Security Number. We are also given – by banks and other institutions - secret questions and passwords to which few would be able to decipher your or my personal answer or identity:
[]   “your mother’s maiden name?
[]   “the street where you grew up
[]   “the first school you attended
          Can we keep such data confidential?
          If there were some financial gain or reward for us, then, would we not be motivated to keep such confidentiality?
          But, Jesus also speaks of the reward when you and I can give something with our “left hand” confidentially and personally …and not let the right hand – or the rest of the world know what we are doing.

[__02__]   As we start our forty (40) days of Lent, we start with a mark of ASHES on our forehead or forehead. Neighbors, co-workers, family, friends can see this visible, obvious sign.
          Yes, we can see the ASHES which are the result of the burning of the palm branches of Palm Sunday. And, on Palm Sunday, we recall the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of our Savior. In the ashes, we recall that we are sinners, but we also recall that Jesus loves us so much that he dies for our sake, personally.
          It is no secret that we are sinners. This is not confidential information. However, we are also reminded that we are given the sacrament of penance, confession – so that we can repent and disclose our sins personally, confidentially – to God through the priest.  And, we receive the forgiveness, absolution, mercy we need personally, confidentially.
          Can you and I keep confidential – and remain confident – of God’s mercy as it is presented as a personal gift to you, to me?  It is in our account.

 [__03__]   From an incident a some years ago, I recall a moment of forgiveness and mercy that was shown to me.  Through my own fault – and we all have our own faults – I had committed an error that caused some difficulty for my boss and co-workers and a customer
          In this case, I was able to accept responsibility, but I was troubled by lack of good judgment, by own lack of wisdom.
          About a month or so later, still bothered by this fault, my boss simply side to me personally, individually … “Well, I have done worse than you….”
          In that encounter, I was being encouraged to move on.
          I also recognized that he was, perhaps, more generous than necessary under the circumstances.
          But, isn’t  this the nature of forgiveness. That God is more merciful than we might deserve – or merit. And, I think you and I, at times, are challenged to be more merciful, more compassionate than another person “deserves” or “merits”, i.e., more generous than our desired minimum percentage or deduction to the other.
          But, in this statement of forgiveness, my boss was encouraging me to move on, to accept the forgiveness, the mercy that I had been resisting up to that point.
          And, in this case, I was learning that the mercy shown to me was greater than the fault, the error, sinfulness.
          And, this is the personal and confidential message to you and me. That Jesus loves us so much the he died for our sake.
          This is the value in our account. Should we not try to retain this data, this information, for own benefit?

[__fin __]   

No comments:

Post a Comment