Sunday, April 8, 2012

Missing Person (2012-04-08, Easter)

This is my homily for 8 April 2012 (Easter Sunday). I am a Catholic chaplain in Teaneck at Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) campus and for the FDU Newman Catholic Association. We celebrate Catholic Mass - during Fall and Spring semester - every Sunday Evening (7:30 p.m.) at the Interfaith Chapel, 842 River Road, Teaneck, NJ.

[_01_] On this first Easter Sunday, Mary Magdalene, Peter, and John, stay at the empty tomb for a while … at least for a little while.
They are permitted, we might say, more than a visit to the burial site above ground but also an underground tour within the tomb.

[_02_] Underground they discover something unexpected. Jesus is “missing in action”, or “M.I.A.” as the military would say. Underground, perhaps, they can uncover some evidence, physical evidence, D.N.A. that will help in the search. Maybe their Lord is elsewhere.

The disciples, we read, “do not yet understand the scripture that he had to rise from the dead.” (John 20:9)

[_03_] Consider the situation of a lost physical object. Seeking it, we also try to recall what we were doing at the time.

I recall my own unexpected – and unfortunate – out-of-town trip to Washington DC where I lost my wallet, with my identification, cash, credit cards, everything.

But, I could not recall where I had lost his. Had I misplaced it in the taxi, the lobby, the elevator?

What had I been doing at each point along the way? Fortunately, the next taxi passenger and the very upright and ethical drive returned to me. The object was returned because they sought and found me.

[_04_] The Good News of Easter is also that Jesus will find, recover a relationship – make a reunion possible – with his disciples – Mary Magdalene Peter, John, , you, me.

Naturally, the disciples at the tomb – founding only burial cloths underground might be anxious to call 9-1-1, write the missing person report, and search the tall grass for where Jesus must surely be.

Or they maybe tempted to give up the search entirely and seek a replacement, online? At mall? Shop around, 4G, the next-generation Messiah. Perhaps, James and John can apply for seats at the right and left of a King less likely to lose his life in the middle of the campaign primary.

[_05_] On a search, we often focus on where were physically, what we were visibly doing.

But, what was I thinking?

[_06_]Recalling the 22nd and M Street incident in Washington DC with the taxi, I can NOW recall hurrying, anxiously paying the driver and collecting my bag and exiting the vehicle/taxi. This hastiness became visible to me only LATER, after

I was told that the wallet in the taxi.

The driver called me at home.

[_07_] How do you and I behave during a setback, a loss or even the death of a loved one?

Certainly, we have to take care of many physical, material details. It is not trivial during a time of mourning, loss to – make dinner, go to work, go to school …and do all the homework and housework.

In the case of illness, we may also have to follow explicit therapeutic instructions for healing and health.

[_08_] The Gospel of John, chapter 20, verses 1 through 9 gives us the first few Easter moments.

At this time, the disciples seek physical signs. This is natural and necessary.

Indeed, they will see Jesus risen. They need to see him alive.

However, they are also called to search themselves. Asking, perhaps, the Good Friday question, at least… “were you there?”

And… where are you now? (Where am I?)

Peter, John, Mary Magdalene, you, I care called to examine ourselves.

[_09_] Consider that we are confronted with a loss, setback at school, or at work, or in our families.

The boss (difficult), the teacher (unreasonable), the work (voluminous), the family (complex).

We may desire a quick fix, replacement part, better technology.

[_10_] Peter, John, Mary Magdalene, are courageous in their willingness to remain at the tomb for a while. To reflect not only the physical but the spiritual aspects of this death and resurrection.

The resurrection is God’s creation. But the Resurrection, the Christian Passover, is also the night which is different from all other nights.

Consider the other “nights” of creation. God creates light from darkness, fish of the sea where there had been no fish. Birds of the air where there had been no birds. But, in the resurrection, God restores life where there had been life.

We also, even while alive, may pass through the grave, sacrificing ourselves, and rising to new life each day.

This may introduce darkness. And, at such times, such as the darkness before we sleep, we are called to search our true intentions, our true motivations. Where was … not only in my body but also in my heart and mind. There, at the grave, we allow the Lord to search and find us. [_fin_]

No comments:

Post a Comment