Saturday, May 14, 2011

Who is my shepherd? (2011-05-15)

This is my homily for 15 May 2011, 4th Sunday of Easter. I am a Catholic chaplain at Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) campus and for the FDU Newman Catholic Association. We celebrate Catholic Mass - during Fall and Spring semester - every Sunday Mass (7:30 p.m.) at the Interfaith Chapel, 842 River Road, Teaneck, NJ. OUR NEXT SUNDAY MASS WILL BE - SUNDAY AUGUST 28, 2011. SEE YOU IN THE FALL.

[__01___] One of the ways in which we measure service – at a particular place we visit – is by the RECEPTION EXPERIENCE.

How am I received? Will my suitcases – car keys – car parked – coat – be RECEIVED….
And by being RECEIVED… I will be RELIEVED.

But, most importantly, is my name RECEIVED, RECOGNIZED, KNOWN?

Isn’t this the personal touch we want, for example, on the first day of school. Someone who knows my name, my teacher, my grade.

On other hand, sometimes we believe we can hide from the teacher who does not know our name… maybe in those first few hours or days when the teacher is learning our names.

Jesus asks us to SHOW and TELL ourselves to him, by name.

In the Gospel of the Good Shepherd, Jesus is the Shepherd, the gatekeeper who knows our name, receives us.

We read: “the shepherd calls his own sheep by name and leads them.”

Coming here today are: __________, _____________, ______________, _____________ for the sacrament of Baptism with their families. This is the first day of school for them in the Christian life.

And, they arrive and are immediately asked their names.

IMPLICITLY, ABSOLUTELY, does the Lord already know our names, even before we declare it… at customs…at the doorway…at the gate.

Saying our name, however, we make our relationship to him CLEARER, more EXPLICIT.
We say our name because we want the teacher, the shepherd to recognize us.

[__02___] PARENTS/CHALLENGE
It is the special responsibility of shepherds to help their sheep to gain nourishment, to avoid danger … and even, at times, to pull them back, direct them away from things which could harm them.

And, our parents [bringing us for baptism … just as __ and __ do] accept this responsibility to shepherd us, to bring us up in the practice of the faith, teaching us to love God and love our neighbor as Christ himself taught us.

This has important challenges which we might summarize in what our parents are called to SAY ..and what they are called to PRAY…

1ST – SAYING … at times, NO, to help a child avoid danger, harm which the child himself/herself cannot anticipate.

But… our parents cannot say NO to everything … nor can they be with us at every possible moment.

So …not only saying is important……but also …

2nd – PRAYING – helping us to be aware of Christ’s presence at every doorway, that his/her name is known by God.

That is, prayer means becoming aware of Christ’s presence, and love for us. And, prayer helps our children to turn to God with their desires, fears, joys, sorrows, throughout their lives.

[__03___] On this Good Shepherd Sunday, we are reminded to pray, that we may hear God’s voice, hear what God is speaking to us.

For some of us, these messages have to do with a specific vocation, as a religious sister, brother, priest, deacon.

And, truly Deacon Andy, Deacon Ed, Sister Barbara, Sister Jean, Father Mike Sheehan, Father German, Father Matthew, and I rely on prayers and the guidance of the Good Shepherd who knows us.

And, we are grateful for your prayers for us. You also know us by name and you remind us of who we are in Christ.. of where our names are written down.

[__04___] However, all of our names are written down, and have been received – on the day of our baptisms – by Christ who still waits to hear from us.. for us to check in with him REGULARLY…not just when we need something, but to check in to tell him

• who we are,
• tell him what our dreams for our career and work are…
• our dreams for marriage and family
• our difficulties, concerns.

Arriving at a destination, we hope that our name will be named.. that when we are asked… “who”, we will then be known and welcomed. And, today we also ask who … who? Who is my shepherd?

The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want…(cont’d)

[__05___] PSALM 23… (cont’d) PRINT IN LARGER FONT FOR THE PULPIT.
Fresh and green are the pastures where he gives me repose. Beside restful waters he leads me, he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right path; he is true to his name. If I should walk in the valley of darkness, no evil would I fear. You are there with your crook and your staff; with these you give me comfort.

You have prepared a banquet for me in the sight of my foes. My head you have anointed with oil, my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life. In the Lord’s own house shall I dwell, forever and ever.]

And, now, we welcome in the Lord’s house, to dwell forever and every --- __________, __________, ______________, ___________ for their baptisms…

[__END__]

No comments:

Post a Comment