Monday, December 25, 2023

This One is ... (Christmas 2023)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___ 

____ Click Here for Video of Mass ____ 

 Homily, Christmas, Mass at Night ●  2023 December 25 ● ● Isaiah 9:1-6 ● ● Psalm 96 ● ● Titus 2:11-14 ● ● Luke 2:1-14 ● ●

 [__01__]  Once upon a time, I heard there was there was a young child who was learning about the Christmas Nativity scene and the significant figures.

          She was eager to share what she had learned, her knowledge, with a grown-up relative whom she pulled into the room up to the statues, pointing out:

o   This 1 is the sheep.

o   This 1 is the shepherd

o   This 1 is the angel.

o   This 1 is Joseph

o   This 1 is Mary.

          And, then, between Joseph and Mary, she points to the crib, asks: do you know this 1 ?

The grown-up says, “you tell me”. And she says:  This 1 is breakable à fragile.

 [__02__]  When Jesus our Lord comes to us born in the flesh, He comes with strength and wisdom and miraculous powers. Yet Jesus remains fragile as a divine person with a human nature, human form and human fragility.

We read in Philippians, ch. 2 that …. “Though Jesus that he was in the form of God did not deem equality with God, something to be grasped that it was. So it was to us that He humbled Himself obediently accepting even death, death on a cross.”

The Gospel of Christmas is about introducing us to the one of whom the angels sing:  “Glory to God in the highest. But it's also been introducing us to the humility of God present in a human person who is fragile, breakable”

What is calling to situations of fragility or breakability?

I suggest there are two responses, in gospel terms: “service”  and “forgivenesss/repentance”

[__02.01_service_]

Every year you so many of you respond generously to our
“Giving Tree” Project, starting in November and leading up to Christmas. You bring gifts for both grownups and children for whom life and security are fragile.

I myself must realize that I have lived a relatively comfortable life and have never doubted that there'd be enough food and gifts in our home, not just on Christmas, but every day.

And while my siblings and I joke around humorously that my parents kept the heat too low in the winter time and that we were cold, this is truly an exaggeration. It is a way to laugh at my parents careful in their spending.

We did not live fragile lives as children and my parents insulated us not just with heat, but with love keeping us from breaking down.

As a priest, I have been inspired by your solidarity with the poor, to assist in The Giving Tree to give back. And now that we are really here at Christmas, we can ask ourselves: who else is fragile in my life or your life?

For whom can I make room at the inn?

Is there somebody in my class on my school bus in my family, for whom I am called to make room at the inn?

One response to fragility is service.

[__02.02_forgiveness_]

Another response to fragility is forgiveness and repentance. Jesus comes among us as the incarnate Lord through whom “service” is rendered: washing the feet of his disciples, replenishing the wine at Cana, and feeding the hungry crowd. But he also comes with a greater gift, which is the forgiveness of our sins.

He forgives us not because we are strong, but because we are weak and fragile. Here's one example in my life that I remember. When I was first ordained a priest, I was serving here at O.L. Lourdes with our pastor Monsignor Joe Petrillo, from whom I learned much about our ministry.

We had a good working collaborative relationship, but I must admit we did not see eye-2-eye and agree on absolutely everything all the time.

In one instance, I felt compelled to tell him what was wrong and kind of to tell him off.

I realized that I had overstepped my bounds. I really didn't want to apologize, because after all, I was right.

But eventually, I realized that our relationship as brother priests and co workers in the vineyard was more important than and being proven correct. The relationship was fragile.

[__03__] Many of us have relationships that are fragile. Or some of our closest loving relationships are fragile. They're breakable and they need nourishment. They need insulation and climate control.

Going to confession as a Catholic going to confess is the way we speak about what is fragile in my life or in your life, but also a way to be strengthened and love of God and love of neighbor.

Forgiveness is something to pursue because we are fragile, and also by cleansing and purifying our hearts, we have the strength, both to ___ forgive those who trespass against us,

And ____ encourage others to follow the gospel and to do the right thing.

[__04__] Knowing that I am fragile breakable, I may sometimes withdraw from encouraging other people to do the right thing because I know I don't do the right thing!

Why should I encourage other people but being forgiven when having a pure heart we can speak about doing the right in a charitable loving way.

Yes, we are fragile, we are fragile temples of the Holy Spirit. But still we're temples of the Holy Spirit.

 [__05__]  Joseph and Mary, as the foster father and mother of the Son of God give us an example of how to receive Jesus the Word of God into our fragile lives. As Father Ronald Knox wrote, they care for Jesus not simply to make Him their own child, but to prepare to give this child away to the whole world.

We receive Communion, the incarnation of God in the flesh and the body of Christ, not only for our own nourishment, but also to give Christ away by our own actions of service, and our spreading of God's message of forgiveness.

[__06__]  Several months ago, my father and mother bumped into an old friend who also told them that he had some connections at a local hospital with doctors. And he felt very strongly that my mother and father should call him if they had any health issues or needed a referral to find the right doctor. This was a nice offer. Life and Health are fragile. So my parents were pleased to make this connection. I was pleased they made the connection. My father expressing his faith in both his personal access and medicine, “Well, I guess this means I'm going to live forever.”

Well, unfortunately, in the physical realm, all of us have limited time spans and lifespans. But by accepting Jesus as your Savior and my Savior and following up in service and forgiveness, and by repentance, we can be aware of a life beyond this world.

So even though our we have a life that is fragile and breakable, we can keep eternal salvation and security in mind. We can live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment