Sunday, December 31, 2023

Presence. Holy Family Sunday (2023-12-31)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___ 

____ Click Here for Video of Mass ____ 

Homily, Holy Family Sunday ●●  2023 December 31  ●● Sirach 3:2-6, 12-14 ● ● Psalm 128 ● ● Col 3:12-21 ● ● Luke 2:22-40

 [__01__]    In this gospel of Holy Family Sunday, we read about Simeon and Anna, members of the temple who are elderly. They have been present in the Temple for many years. Simeon’s age is unlisted number. Anna’s age is given as 84 years old

Why are they in the Temple? They are the Temple because they believe that the Savior is coming to the temple. They've been waiting for the Savior to come to the temple. And now he's finally here.

And Simeon says, These are famous words:

Now, Master, you may let your servant go  in peace, according to your word, for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you prepared in sight of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel.  (Luke ch. 2)

Simeon says he can die in peace as a result of seeing the Savior. When we are waiting for somebody, then we can be at peace.

This is an example of me not quite at peace because I was waiting for somebody.

[__02__]   Several months ago, on a Sunday afternoon, there was a Mass in the university chapel and gathering afterwards at Immaculate Conception Seminary at Seton Hall University.

          While I was there, I met many other priests from the Archdiocese of Newark and some from outside the Archdiocese of Newark who had traveled there.

          One of the travelers from out of town was my friend – Father Anthony – who is a priest in Wilmington, Delaware.

          We were at the seminary together back in the early 2000’s.

          He has visited NJ several times. Sometimes, when he does, he stays the Lourdes parish rectory here in West Orange overnight.

          I did not know he would be at Seton Hall that day, so I did not invite or expect him at Lorudes.

          Nevertheless, I said, “hey, Anthony, what are your plans for the evening? Are you driving back to Delaware or staying in New Jersey? Do you need a place to stay?”

          He said that he might.

          “Do you want to stay at the Lourdes rectory?  I actually asked him if he still had a key to the place which he showed me – along with his driver’s license so that I knew it was really him. I did not say that. He had a key for the building. He also had his own car and keys.  I told him to let me know what his plans were.

          Then, we parted ways and he went to talk to some people and I went in a different direction.

          I never heard from him again at the Seton Hall event. I drove back from South Orange to here and went to the front of the rectory. I had left him a voice mail, but did not get a reply.

          While I was sitting at my desk in the front of the rectory, I heard a sound by the back door and kitchen, but thought nothing of it.

          There are always sounds !

I continued at my computer.

Later at around 11 pm, I went out the parking lot and saw a car parked there which I did not recognize.  And the parking lot should have been empty of cars. I was annoyed and thought about having it ticketed or towed.

Of course, you have figured this out faster than I did !!

I noticed the car had Pennsylvania license plates which remind me that this car belonged – all along – to Anthony. Then, I finally looked up and saw the light was on a guest room. He had been there all along.

 

I saw a light on and a guestroom and then I thought now I can go in peace. Now I can sleep in peace knowing that he's there. I wondered what had happened. He actually told me later they got lost in Maplewood on his way, South Orange as they say as we say in texting “IDK”. I don't know. But I was glad he was here. His experience reminded me that someone can be present in our lives without us being aware of their presence.

 

[__03__]  This is similar to the unseen presence and sometimes the presence of somebody can be threatening to us or make us uncomfortable. This is the this is what happens to King Herod Herod the king of Israel who hears about the birth of the Savior, the Savior King and Harriet is threatened by the birth of the Savior and he cannot find him.

Herod wants Jesus ticketed and towed and more taken out of his life.

By whom do you feel threatened or uncomfortable? Many of us may feel it as times. If somebody says something that makes you feel uncomfortable or uneasy. You may feel like a deer in headlights, you may not know what to say or what to do.

You may think that you will I didn't have any comeback at that moment. Therefore I can't say anything. Sometimes that's true. Sometimes a moment passes and we can't say anything.

But we can also pray about Well, Lord, what do you what are you calling me to say?

Or, what in this moment that makes me feel so uncomfortable? Is there something I can say or do? And and also ask, Lord, are you not in my house? In my life?

Isn't the Holy Spirit always in our house? So, Samuel, Anna and Simeon, are recognizing the presence of Jesus the presence of the Savior in their lives

Jesus presence has been recognized before. Mary recognizes the presence of Jesus from the moment of his conception. From the moment he's conceived, reminding us of the sanctity of life, that the sanctity of life, the sanctity of a person's life begins not at birth, not on their, the day of their birth, but really at the moment of their conception. We're called to protect the sanctity of life.  The presence of somebody whom we cannot see, is undeniable in this regard.

Life has sparked each time we welcome God into our lives each time we turn to God for mercy for forgiveness, or we try to extend forgiveness to others. This is a way for us to welcome God into our God's presence into our lives each day to remember that he is in your house. He is in our house.

 

[__04__]

No comments:

Post a Comment