Sunday, November 12, 2023

Tense. Waiting (2023-11-12, 32nd Sunday)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___    

____ Click Here for Video of Mass ____ 

  Homily file for November 12, 2023    32nd Sunday    ● Wisdom 6:12-16 ● Psalm 63 ● 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 ●  ●  Matthew 25:1-13  ● 

 Title:    Tense (NW)__  original

 [_01__]   Years ago, I felt some tension in my mind and in my heart – one Saturday – when I was concerned about the start time of a wedding scheduled here at Lourdes.

I had come over here to church on that Saturday to get ready for Saturday 5:30 pm Mass AFTER such a wedding. I was surprised that when I arrived the wedding had not even started yet. When I asked the visiting priest about this

He asked me –” are you tense about time ?”

I don't recall much more about the day, except that of course, the bride and groom and family finally arrived, there was a  wedding and 530 Mass still happened.  As we text, so to say: NBD. No Big Deal.

And I forgot about the whole thing. That is until about 3 years later. I saw this visiting priest again. This time, not at a wedding. And he reminded me of the whole episode … although I had totally forgotten about his question.

I was “tense” again when he reminded me,  “are you tense about the time?”

 [_02__]   And, the parable is told not to turn our attention to “weddings” but rather to “living and dying”.

Do we want Jesus the groom to come into our lives? His arrival signifies both death and life after death.

Of course, if you were me on that Saturday afternoon in the sacristy, you would be anxious for groom and the bride to arrive. I was anxious for them to arrive, because I was thinking in very material physical terms.

And, if I had more oil in my lamp, more strength in prayer, I would have been less tense, more patient.

But the parable – in the end – is not just about a car arriving with the groom, but rather about the CROSS and way of the Cross with Jesus and you and me.

Do I want such a groom, such a guest to arrive in my life?

Pope Benedict XVI (B16) observed that sometimes we have an idealistic conception of death in that we see death as simply a release from physical problems:  disease, disability, pain.

But death is not simply a rescue from pain. Death is a renovation, or to use a construction metaphor, is the extreme makeover par excellence.

Pope Benedict XVI (B16)  reminds us that the LOVE is the core concept of our lives.  And, to love God and love your neighbor is the greatest commandment.

For example, sometimes, it may be both spiritually and physically painful to admit I am wrong. Or, to seek forgiveness. But this is the Christian “dying to oneself”

[_03__]   In a practical sense, “love” is not simply associated with the declaration and vow of love at a wedding.

            Rather, love is also associated with dying and death and sacrifice.

            This weekend is also Veterans Day when we remember – as we do on Memorial Day – those who gave their lives in military service.

            I read this quote from a U.S. Marine in his book about the battlefield (Elliot Ackerman, “Places and Names …”) Recently, I heard this military veteran make this statement – bravery and courage – while they are virtuous – are not sufficient as EMOTIONS, FEELINGS for the soldier. What soldiers needs is to bonded by LOVE. They may not feel brave going into battle, but they can (we can) feel and be motivated by love in a difficult situation. Even to love unto death.

            And, that Jesus – as our bridegroom giving himself on the Cross – loves us unto death.

[_04__]     The priest who asked me that question, years ago and upset me at the time and did not make me less tense – but rather more tense -- with his question about my attitude. 2x. It happened twice!

He asked me –” are you tense and upset about time ?”

I was also being asked – in a sense – am I motivated by love?

Given that he had way more experience than me at the time, he had been a priest for about 25 years. At that point, I had been a priest for about 25 minutes….maybe 25 days.

He gave me something to pray about.

What am I doing when I'm waiting? What am I doing when I'm waiting for the bus? What am I doing when I'm waiting in traffic? What am I doing when I'm waiting for something to start? What am I doing when I'm waiting for a sign from God? Then I'm going in the right direction. Because we are all in some sense waiting in the interim.

It's good to pray the prayer of the Divine Mercy, Jesus, I trust in you to pray that we trust in Jesus when we're waiting, this will help us to this will help us to replace the oil in our lamps and to give us the fuel the energy to practice our Christian disciplines of prayer, sacrificing, charitable giving to pray.

Jesus, I trust in you.  When we are waiting. we are called to pray.

Going to someone else's wedding reminds us that we are waiting for the bride and groom to say “I Do” and to stay together until death until do they part. That's inspiring to all of us.  The wedding signifies our lives.

We are also at mass coming to receive the body of Christ who is also united to us as our spouse, Jesus is your spouse, my spouse, and he desires that we would love him until the end.    You and I also need God’s grace and help as oil to wait for Jesus until he appears at your door or at my door. [END]

No comments:

Post a Comment