Sunday, November 6, 2022

Courage, Compassion, Companionship (2022-11-06, 32nd Sunday, Founder's Day)

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily___ 

__ Click Here for Video of Mass ____ 

2022-11-06   Title:  Courage, Compassion, Companionship

●● 2 Maccabees 7:1-2, 9-14  ● Psalm 17 ● ●  2 Thessalonians 2:16-3:5 ● ●  + Luke 20:27-38   

[__01__]       When I tell someone, “hey you are brave or courageous“, I sometimes wonder if the person has really heard me. At times, I receive such praise and I tend to dismiss it myself.

          Why? I myself associate courage with extraordinary achievement or piety, such as the eventual results for Bernadette of Lourdes whose witness led to a great shrine and basilica and devotion.

Courage is one of those concepts we don’t “say” much about but we know it when we see it.

[__02__] We often abbreviate the name of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish “Lourdes” to connect us to the shrine and apparitions in France where our Blessed Mother appeared to Bernadette.   Bernadette showed courage against skeptics who rejected such a poor and simple young girl having a profound religious experience.

          Bernadette demonstrated courage in southwestern France to those who did not yet believe. We are called to the same, for those have not crossed the threshold or walked up our steps in West Orange.

You do this – I will testify – not only to give comfort but also to speak the truth honestly. It takes courage, to say something that someone does not want to hear and with love rather than frustration/anger.

In facing up to evil and sin, Jesus did not overthrow the government, but laid down his life giving us a peaceful model and way of the Cross.  It takes courage to be a peaceful and merciful witness

So, one way to see courage in yourself is to recognize the need to FORGET yourself ….or put aside your own needs for another.

 [__03_]    This early November Sunday is the anniversary season of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, founded on November 8, 1914 – so happy [early] 108th Founder’s Day, everyone.  We remember the brave souls, women and men, the religious Sisters of Charity, deacons and priests, the faithful  parishioners / people by whom our parish was founded, financed and served. This continues today in your

efforts to care for our CHURCH as a building,  to teach our CHILDREN as our future, and to give CHARITABLY as a witness to others.

I’d like to connect this idea of COURAGE to COMPASSION and to COMPANIONSHIP.  We do not have to go it alone.

 [__04 _] To make the connection between courage and compassion, I would like to recall Pierre Toussaint – a candidate for sainthood in the Church.  Pierre Toussaint was born in the French Caribbean colony of Saint-Domingue which is now Haiti, in 1766.  He was born into slavery.

At age 20, the plantation owner/family he left the colony with the family who were escaping the revolution against colonial rule and slavery.  Pierre was taken to the U.S., to NYC where – of course – slavery was still legal.

          The eventual end of slavery in Haiti meant bankruptcy for the family went completely bankrupt, financially.   Meanwhile, Toussaint’s prestige and skill in his profession earned him money in NYC.   Toussaint could have left them as a free man, but rather contributed his earnings to the family well-being. This was quite a reversal of roles!  

[__05__]     All the while, Pierre endured discrimination both as a freed slave and Catholic.  Anti-Catholicism was strong in New York at the time. This did not stop him – a daily churchgoer, devoted to Rosary, an articulate teacher of Catholic faith.

In charity, Pierre, he supported widows, orphans – essentially founding “Catholic Charities of New York” on his own.  He gave toward the original/old St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Mulberry Street. Arriving at Mass for that church’s “founding day”, Pierre was turned away because he was Black though his money had substantially built it. Fortunately another usher recognized him and brought him to a seat of honor.  In church as in heaven, the last shall be first!

          His death and burial were remarkable. He is the only lay person buried at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, 5th Avenue, NYC – in a crypt / mausoleum normally reserved for archbishops / cardinals. 

In Pierre Toussaint, we see courage -- compassion – and  companionship.

 [__06_]     COMPANIONSHIP / MY EXAMPLE.

          When I started seriously thinking about becoming a priest, I seem to recall hearing something about this being a “courageous” move. But, I did not feel myself to be – either then or now – a courageous person.  I also do not wish to use the word “courage” too lightly.

          I try to do what is right, but courage seems such a tall order. Also, I often associate ”courage” with being a lone ranger or going it alone.

          At the time, I lived -  in my perception –comfortably and resisted the a change to seminary studies.  In one conversation, I remember saying – out loud and immaturely – but I really like how things are right now. Not a good reason!

          So, I was anxious about all these changes, wondering if they were worthwhile or if friendships I had then would continue. I have certainly been blessed with friends from before and during my time as priest.  Of course, if I had not become a priest, I would not know each of you.  You are a blessing to me, to teach me about the virtues and Christian sacrifice.

          At times, I have thought that my courage – or my choice – was always going to be about leaving behind what I had and going forward and leaving and old life behind. Of course, that is true…

          An event over the summer showed me that it was not that simple.

I was visiting family in the state of Rhode Island. I never have lived in Rhode Island. I was just visiting my sister and her family there.

And I was able to celebrate mass in a totally new place at parish in Westerly, Rhode Island. I introduced myself, I said I'm from New Jersey, Our Lady of Lourdes West Orange.

Someone spoke to me afterwards, asking me more specifically about my location. And he was from Rhode Island but his wife was from New Jersey and they lived in Hoboken here in Hudson County, Hudson County Hoboken from 1990 until 2010. I told him that I had lived in Hoboken as well around the same time. It turned out we were neighbors on the same street. And he told me that he remembered me walking on the street back in the 1990s or up to around 2000.

He was also on some kind of neighborhood watch anti Crime Watch. I'm wondering if that's why he was noticed to me. I don't think I did anything that required a 911 call. But anyway, he said that he remembered me. I thought this was unlikely but insisted that he remembered me.

My conversation with him reminded me where I had come from. It also reminded me that I had certain changes to make to hear God's call by the way I have not totally made all these changes.  I could still grow in courage… compassion.  As one preacher once said, I'm not what I want to be, but I’m not what I used to be. I have to accept my losses to move forward.

The episode also reminded me of a new connection and companion I had made, not just someone from the here and new, but also actually someone from my past history.

It is a reminder that when we think – e.g., - of heaven ..it is a place of communion and companionship – with Him and each other, where the “old neighborhood” is made new.

It is my hope that our parish will also be a place where we can experience support for the virtue of courage and compassion, knowing we have been saved not as isolated individuals but as His beloved sisters and brothers.

Our Lady of Lourdes, Pray for Us.  [__end__]

No comments:

Post a Comment