Saturday, December 4, 2021

Praying. Saying. Staying. Advent, 2nd Sun. (2021-12-05)

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily, Sunday Dec. 5 ___

Homily –  Dec.  5, 2021  /  Advent 2 (C)

Baruch 5:1-9     Psalm 126        ● Philippians 1:4-6, 8-11 ●  + Luke 3:1-6

[__00-a_] I am procrastinating right now. Procrastinating.  Procrastination can be a struggle. The original dictionary definition is procrastinate means to put off until tomorrow.

Here is a really bad joke about procrastination and an arithmetic or math problem. What do you say, to an arithmetic or math problem that you're having trouble with and that you are procrastinating from? “calc you later”, calculator like catch you later.

We often associate procrastination with the solving of a problem, or the completion of a task or a calculation we cannot make right now.

In my own experience of procrastination or putting things off, I will say that it is often something I do not because I am indifferent to the result, or that I don't care about the results.

It is because I am obsessed with the result. And I don't even want to get started on something because I am unsure of how it's going to turn out.

So perfection can sometimes fuel procrastination. That's me.

I wish to touch on this because urgency is so important in the message of John the Baptist. This urgency in terms of what J.T.B. is --- PRAYING about, what is he SAYING ..and where he is STAYING.

 So praying saying and staying first praying.

[][]

[__01_]   [1st. PRAYING / meditation] John the Baptist is at prayer in the desert.

 

         

John the Baptist is at prayer. How does prayer fit into your daily life or my daily life, not just right now it's Saturday 530 mass or tomorrow, Sunday. But Monday through Friday,

You might say to me, hey Padre, I don't have time to pray. I'm too busy. I might say the same thing. I'm tempted to say that. But I'm suggesting that prayer is not the cause of procrastination. Prayer can be the cure for procrastination. When something is difficult, we are called to pray about it.

We pray in the 25th Psalm, “make me know your paths.”

1 practical suggestion that was given to me was this. If you're praying about something, or perhaps about someone who is difficult, write that person's name down on a piece of paper, put it in your wallet and carry it around with you. That way, every time you take out your wallet, or your money or credit card or your ID, you're going to be reminded of that prayer. You're not going to forget about it. So we are called to pray about the things that are difficult. And prayer can help us to set our priorities and to overcome that tendency to procrastinate or put things off. So prayer is not a cause of procrastination, prayer or praying can be a cure for procrastination. What is John the bit so that's the praying part.

[__02_]   [2nd. SAYING / proclamation]      

          John the Baptist is saying something in the desert.

Now there's the saying part, John the Baptist is saying he is speaking he is proclaiming in the desert, from John the Baptist as a proclaimer. He's loud. And in next Sunday's gospel, we read about John the Baptist having many followers,

Many people go out to see him. He is viral, we might say. What about saying something in your life or saying or announcing a decision or making a decision?

Sometimes, we would rather do something about it than say something about it. I think we maybe do you have that inclination that you'd rather do something about it than say something about it.

So for example, if something is wrong, you might say, Well, I'm just going to correct the situation.

I'm not going to say anything about it. I'm just going to do something about it. And then that's good. But sometimes we are called to say something about to communicate things.

So for example, if you are caring for somebody who's elderly, somebody who's sick, maybe it's your parents, maybe it's another person in your life, sometimes we are called to say something to others to keep them in the loop of what we are thinking about.

Proclamation can be important. We are called also to proclaim, to witness to our faith, what can we say?

Simple things we can say we can tell people that we're going to church, we can tell people that we're going to church on Christmas, even people who may not join us for Christmas, we can make sure that we explicitly tell them, when we're coming to church, what mass we're coming to, or why we like to go to that mass.

These are little evangelical statements we can make to proclaim the gospel to others who may not come to church.

And we could even let them know that we're praying for them. Even if they don't join us, we could say, Hey, I'm praying for you when I go to church.

And all of this saying or proclaiming also goes much better  when we are praying when we are reflecting, we were called to pray, for example, Lord opened my lips, or Lord put a guard over my mouth, so that I don't say the wrong thing. So we are calling. So John the Baptist is reminding us of vows about praying, which includes repenting of our sins, and also saying and proclaiming.

 

[__03_]   [3rd. STAYING / location ]              John the Baptist is staying in the desert. He is preparing the Way of the Lord and he is making straight his path.

And John the Baptist is staying somewhere, he's staying in the desert. He's out in the desert, to find a straight path to Jesus Christ.

Now, we may not have to go out into the desert to discover Jesus Christ. But we are called to recognize that sometimes we do need to separate ourselves from our regular ways in order to find the straight path, to prepare the way of the Lord to find the most direct route.

[][][]

John was praying out there in the desert when he grasped this sense of urgency about the Gospel and Christ.

          This does not mean that you and I have to move to the desert or to the wilderness. But, we can recognize that we all can experience God and hear God better sometimes during the “desert” that is a break from our regular busyness or environment.

          Is the “desert” a time/place of physical challenge or even an illness? … of solitude.

[][][]

If you were coming to Our Lady of Lourdes today, and you didn't know where our Lady of Lourdes was, you would put it into your GPS and you would take the most direct route to come here. Or if you're going somewhere after this, and you don't know exactly where you're going, either tonight or tomorrow, you're going to put that into your phone or into your GPS device to find the most direct route to that location, I would do the same thing. But do I choose the straight path in my relationships with others. Sometimes if I'm having difficulty with somebody, maybe somebody I'm uncomfortable talking to or I'm not sure what to say, I don't always take the straight path, I may talk to everybody else about the problem rather than the person I'm supposed to talk to about the problem. So Jesus is encouraging us to take the straight path to prepare the way of the Lord. It is true that God can draw straight with our crooked lines. However, taking the straight path is also important. And we do this because we are seeking a perfection not a perfection so that we can have a good appearance, not a perfectionist so that we can make more money, but a perfection so that we can live in harmony with God and in love of God and love of neighbor. I'd like to just read a little prayer

 

He, then, is perfect who does the work of the day perfectly, and we need not go beyond this to seek for perfection. You need not go out of the round of the day.

I insist on this because I think it will simplify our views, and fix our exertions on a definite aim.

 

If you ask me what you are to do in order to be perfect, I say, first-

 ·         Do not lie in bed beyond the due time of rising;

·         give your first thoughts to God;

·        make a good visit to the Blessed Sacrament;

·         say the Angelus devoutly;

·         eat and drink to God’s glory;

·         say the Rosary well;

·         be recollected; keep out bad thoughts;

·         make your evening meditation well;

·         examine yourself daily;

Go to bed in good time, and you are already perfect

No comments:

Post a Comment