Sunday, November 3, 2019

"I Wish I Was a Little Bit Taller" (Zacchaeus) (2019-11-03, Sunday-31)

2019 November 3 /  31st Sunday
●● Wisdom 11:22 – 12:2 ● Psalm 145 ●  2 Thessalonians 1:11-2:2  ● + Luke 19:1-10 ●●
Title:  I Wish I Was a Little Bit Taller (Zacchaeus), (2019-11-03)

[__01__]  What do you expect – what do I expect – at a reunion?
Say – a high school reunion which I attended recently. I will not say how many years only that this was the 25th anniversary of our 10-year reunion. I skipped the 10 year reunion.
          What I expected was to have difficulty with the comparison or recognition – over the years -  do I know you?
          This was helped by the wearing of a nametag with my real black-and-white – or the kids today say … “grayscale” -- yearbook photo.

[__02__]   What do we expect/compare at such an alumni/reunion gathering? We may compare ourselves to each other:
·        What are you doing?
·        Where do you live?
·        How many colleges did you enroll at and bounce around …? 1 classmate attended 3 colleges – one after the other -- and still graduated on time… I was very impressed!
Of course, this line of questioning can lead to curious conversation and “catching up” …that’s good.
It could lead us to reflect on our lives, our own gifts, to be grateful, that’s good.
Or, even a sense of something we want to change for the better in ourselves because we admire something in another.
[__03__]  In the Gospel we have just read, Zacchaeusis at a reunion, but he is certainly not being inducted into anybody’s “Hall of Fame”.
          It is more like the “hall of shame” for him, a gathering of the town of Jericho. People are gathered because Jesus was in town and no one was going to let Zacchaeus up front for a better view.  (Similar to last Sunday’s Gospel in the revilement and paradox of a converted tax collector).
          Everyone knows who Zacchaeus, the reviled and resented tax collector is. He does not need a name tag. His reputation precedes him.

[__04__]  I’d like to reflect here on the experience of “being compared…” …… “being contrite”…..and “being converted….”
          Zacchaeus – and you and I – can experience COMPARISON +  CONTRITION on the way to CONVERSION …or a change of heart/mind toward Christ.

[__05__]   If we all do is “compare” ourselves to others, this can be more of an obstacle than a way forward.
          As an example, I would like to quote a song .. that seems to apply especially well to Zacchaeus and how he is regarded and why he is disregarded.
          At least on a superficial level…
          I know I talked about a song last Sunday … this is a different song.

          Skee-Lo –is the singer’s name… “Skee-Lo” -- is about as good of an example of a (musical) one-hit-wonder you can give. In 1995, his [hip hop rap-song] single "I Wish" managed to hit near the top of [popular] music charts worldwide.
          The lyrics of “I wish” made an impression – in the mid-1990’s on my friends, me, my siblings as well really liked the song which continued with his main line …”I wish I was a little bit taller.”  (Grammarly did not catch this one either… should “I wish I were a little bit taller” …anyway, I’m just saying…)
          But, really not just a little bit taller …but rather 6 foot 9 …that’s one inch more than LeBron James.
          And, if he were taller then he would have all the things he wants….  


[__06__]   Zacchaeus also wants to be taller – at least to get away from or above the crowd.
          There exists a temptation to compare ourselves with others …even for the devout and believing people of the town to compare themselves favorably to Zacchaeus. That was last Sunday’s rebuke by the Pharisee of the tax collector at the Temple.
          However, true sorrow for our sins and true forgiveness is not about what we can see or show visibly.  Jesus’ call to us to confession and conversion is not about outward works that everyone can see. In the Gospel we read that conversion begins when “do not let our left hand know what our right hand is doing.”
          And, it is certainly a sign of his conversion that Zacchaeus is willing to pay back 4x what he owes, but Zacchaeus also shows us that we are called to use everything in our environment to get closer to God, to Jesus.
          In Zacchaeus’ case, he uses the tree. He wants to be a little bit taller on the way to his conversion.
[__07__] What do we expect at a reunion? We expect to come home. Doing so, we may -- at a reunion, at a good reunion, we sometimes do turn the clock back (figuratively) more than turning it back one hour (for end of Daylight Savings), we may turn the clock back – years or decades ..in moments of recall/nostalgia.
Zacchaeus is recalling who he really is, not as nostalgia but as new life.

I could be changed for the better by being more like the humble tax collector and less like the Pharisee.
          Yes, I do wish at time that I were taller, smarter, stronger, faster, but compared to whom?
          Do I measure myself only against, compare myself only to others?
          And, just as toxic, do I only measure the goodness others compared to me as the standard?
          Do help others to be like Christ or do I want them to be like me?
          As aspiring saints, we look toward our Savior, to be a little bit taller, not only as individuals but also together as one growing and nourished with the Body and Blood of Christ.
          The reunion is with our Savior. Zacchaeus, I mean to stay at your house today.
[__fin__]

No comments:

Post a Comment