Sunday, July 5, 2026

Freedom (2026-07-05, 14th Sunday)

🎧 [Listen to  Homily: Audio]    

📺 [Watch Mass: YouTube Video]

[Readings:    14th Sun (Yr. A)  ● Zechariah 9:9-10 ● Psalm 145 ● Romans 8:9, 11-13  ● Matthew 11:25-30 ●  Independence Day Weekend – July 4–5, 2026

True Freedom: Living Intentionally

1. Some Things Are Automatic. Faith Isn't.

This microphone doesn't go on automatically. I have to turn it on.

But many things in our lives do happen automatically.

Have you noticed that when you begin typing something into Google, before you've finished your sentence, Google often finishes it for you? Or when you begin typing an email address, your computer fills in the rest automatically. Artificial intelligence can organize information, summarize articles, and answer questions in seconds.

These are remarkable tools.

But they invite us to ask a deeper question.

As life becomes more automated, am I becoming more automated?

And is that really a good thing?

Because discipleship often means struggling against what comes automatically or instinctively.

Faith is often a struggle against doubt.

Love is often a struggle against selfishness.

Forgiveness is often a struggle against revenge.

Repentance is often a struggle against hiding what I've done wrong.

These virtues don't happen automatically.

They grow through God's grace and our willing response, one choice at a time.

That is why Jesus never asks for an automatic response.

He simply says,

"Come to me."


2. The King Who Comes in Humility

The prophet Zechariah gives us an unexpected picture of a king.

If we imagine a king, we expect someone arriving with an entourage, with power, perhaps on a mighty war horse.

Instead, Zechariah describes God's King riding on a simple donkey.

That prophecy is fulfilled when Jesus enters Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.

The King comes in humility.

Then Jesus says,

"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest."

Notice what Jesus does not do.

He doesn't drag anyone to Himself.

He doesn't force anyone.

He doesn't pre-program anyone.

He simply invites.

Then He says,

"Take my yoke upon you."

At first that sounds like a contradiction.

How can a burden become light?

A friend of mine once told me that early in his marriage he realized they didn't have enough money to pay the mortgage that month.

He dreaded telling his wife.

Instead of making things worse, she simply said,

"We'll get through this together."

He told me later that the burden immediately became lighter.

Not because the mortgage disappeared.

But because he wasn't carrying it alone.

That is exactly what Jesus promises.

He doesn't promise a life without burdens.

He promises that we never carry them alone.


3. The Commitments That Shape Our Lives

There are signs of commitment all around us.

A wedding ring doesn't make someone married.

It reminds a husband and wife that every day they choose to love each other again.

Parents choose to love their children.

Citizens choose to serve their country.

Priests choose to serve God's people.

One simple way we answer Jesus' invitation is by making Sunday Mass part of our lives—not only when we're home, but even when we're traveling or on vacation.

I remember my parents doing that when I was growing up.

Wherever we went, we found a Catholic church.

Sometimes it was unfamiliar.

Sometimes we had no idea where we were.

One of the easiest Google searches you can make this summer is:

"Catholic Mass near me."

Jesus is already waiting there.


4. Ordinary Afternoons Shape Our Lives

A few months after I was ordained a priest, I met several former coworkers for lunch in Manhattan.

It was a wonderful reunion.

The conversation felt very familiar.

I even remember Bryant Gumbel eating in the restaurant that afternoon.

As lunch ended, I caught myself thinking - AUTOMATICALLY,

"Well...now it's time to go back to work."

I caught myself. I wasn't going back to this office building anymore.

I was coming back here.

Back to priesthood.

Back to serving God's people.

Then another thought came to me.

My life wasn't going to reach its high point in that lunch.

The friendship around that table was genuine.

But it wasn't dependent on that restaurant.

The lunch would end.

The friendship would continue.

And I realized I was also being invited into another friendship—

a friendship with Jesus Christ,

lived out in the ordinary work of being a priest.

The same is true for every one of us.

This weekend we celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

We celebrate with fireworks.

Parades.

Barbecues.

Family gatherings.

Those celebrations are wonderful.

But our lives are not shaped by fireworks.

They are shaped by ordinary afternoons.

One faithful decision at a time.


5. The Greatest Freedom

The Declaration of Independence speaks about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Those words have inspired our nation for 250 years.

But every generation has to choose to live them faithfully.

The same is true of the Gospel.

Our greatest freedom is not simply political freedom.

Our greatest freedom is the freedom to worship.

The freedom to repent.

The freedom to forgive.

The freedom to love.

The freedom to answer Jesus' invitation.

Every day technology asks us,

"What would you like me to do?"

Jesus asks something very different.

"Will you come to me?"

That question cannot be answered by artificial intelligence.

It cannot be answered on autopilot.

It can only be answered by each one of us—

one ordinary afternoon,

one act of faith,

one response to God's grace,

at a time.

And so we hear His invitation once again:

"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest."

----------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment