Sunday, April 14, 2024

Stay Awake. Resurrection. (2024-04-14, Easter, 3rd Sunday)

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___ 

__ Click Here for Video of Mass __ 

Homily, 3rd Sunday Easter, 2024-04-14 (year B)   ●●  2024 March 31  ●●Acts 3:13-15, 17-19 ● ● Psalm __ ● 1 John2:1-5a ● ●Luke 24:35-48● ● ●

[__01__]   Have you ever found it difficult to wake up in the morning?

In my case, I sometimes prefer to turn OFF my alarm or press MUTE or SNOOZE rather than stand up. I bring this up because the Easter resurrection appearances of our Savior are frequently experienced as wake up calls to the disciples and to you and me.

Waking up is a PRACTICAL reality.

          Here is a practical example.

I was taking a trip out of town and needing to connect with an airplane flight at 7 am from Newark Airport. Counting chronologically backwards, be at airport by 5 am, wake up by 4 … and I did none of the above successfully.

My brother offered to pick me up here and called my phone when he arrived. Even this I did not hear. He went home. I took a later flight. My bad. He forgave me.

How could I have avoided this – I could have avoided this PRACTICALLY by going to sleep more punctually (earlier) and less anxiously. More on the solution later… part of the key of waking up and being alert is being rested!

          It’s hard to wake up when you feel tired.

[__02__]  During Jesus’s Passion and Death …the disciples showed signs of HIGH exhaustion and LOW alertness

          Recall what took place the night before Good Friday when Jesus goes to pray in the Garden of Gethsemane. He tells his disciples. “My soul is sorrowful even to death. Remain here and keep watch with me.”  I.e., don’t close your eyes. Don’t press SNOOZE.

          Then he goes and prays for his “holy hour”, the famous words, “Father if it is your will, take this cup from me…”

          After his prayer, Jesus returned  seeing them asleep, “So you could not keep watch with me for one hour? Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak” (selected verses: Matthew 26:36-41)

The disciples were exhausted, not rested.

Waking up is also a COMMUNAL nad RELATIONSHIP reality.

The Resurrection appearances are wake up calls not only so that they can wake up as individuals – but also wake up “together” as a community.

[__03__]  What are the moments or seasons when we are moved to – caused to – wake up together?

          Our Christmas tradition in my house as a family – growing up – was that we opened all of our presents on Christmas morning. So we woke up together. Given that I had younger siblings, as I grew older, I did not want to wake up as early…but was invited to – required – to do so.

          I was called to be in synch with everyone else and have fond memories even if I was “forced” to wake up earlier than I intended.

[__04__]    This past Monday April 8 – was a coincidence of scientific and spiritual/Gospel awakening.

          There was a wake up call scientifically and a wake up call spiritually.

This past Monday, April 8, there was a convergence of scientific and spiritual significance occurred. Scientifically, it marked the total eclipse of the sun, a phenomenon that captivated many people worldwide. This event served as a wake-up call, naturally and scientifically, prompting us to marvel at the world and galaxy and our place within the universe.

Simultaneously, spiritually, April 8th commemorated the feast day of the Annunciation on the Catholic calendar.

          The Annunciation of Jesus being Conceived is a wake-up to our salvation and God’s mercy.

[__06__]  The Annunication has been celebrated on 25 March, in the belief that the human beings were created in the “springtime” of Creation (Book of Genesis).  March 25 is on or about the 1st day of Spring.

          There is also the parallel tradtion that human beings – Adam and Eve – fell into sin and needed redemption on this same day.  Thus, the coming of Jesus and his death must coincided with the creation and fall of Adam.

          I say all this as a reminder of our own search for God’s light and wisdom and God’s wake up call.

          Each of us, in our own ways, find ourselves not in God’s orbit and but in our own self-absorbed orbit!

          Jesus appears individually to his disciples and also invites us into a personal relationship with him, because he as woken up and arisen first and wishes us to come with him in a new relationship.

[__07__]  What is the solution to waking up on time?

          The solution to waking up on time is to go to bed on time. I am often guilty of not going to bed on time.

          The 2 go together.

          But, I suggest the desire to “stay up too late” manifests itself in other sinful ways in our lives –

          Do we have a desire or inclination or to compare ourselves to others?

          To measure our happiness only by material things or monetary value?

          Do I stay up too late because I am nostalgic for or fantasizing about things that are not actually true?

          Am I living in the darkness of the the past rather than the light of the present?

          If we are going through a tough time such as navigating an illness or caring for someone who is sick, it is a good to give thanks for the past mercies and celebrations. At the same time, we are also called to live in the light of the present to care someone with dignity and honor.

          Sometimes we live in the past because we fear the darkness of a sin or fault from the past.

          Jesus offers us his mercy, in order to wake us up to reality and also that we can be forgiven today, in confession.

          Isn’t it true that when we forigive each other, we so not to re-live or re-hash – re-hashtag – the past  but to be alert to the present.

          In this regard, we are also called open our eyes and ears to his word, to rest and have pave in his love and thus be recharged in His presence.

          Jesus calls us to stay awake!   [__end__]  

No comments:

Post a Comment