Sunday, March 3, 2024

Temple Cleansing / Inherent Value (2023-03, Lent, 3rd Sunday)

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___ 

__ Click Here for Video of Mass __  

Homily, 3rd Sunday Lent (year B)  ●●  2024 March 3  ●● Exodus 20:1-17 ● ● Psalm ___● ● 1 Corinthians ___● ●  + John 2:13-25 ● ●

[__00__] How much is your home or apartment worth? What is its value? You do not have tell me out loud.

How do we measure the value or worth of our homes or apartments? Is it merely in MONEY – or there is there a deeper, inherent value ? Jesus, in his teachings, urges us to see beyond the material value of structures like the Temple, emphasizing the importance of meaning and inherent worth.

            This “inherent value” also extends to the person as we profess the dignity of the person in all our ethical choices about human life, the unborn child, the lives in danger in wartime, the lives of civilians….

            Because our lives have value, Jesus also believes we can change and be changed for the better.

Jesus's actions in the Temple further emphasize the importance of spiritual devotion over material concerns. He cleanses the Temple, rejecting the commercialization of sacred space and reminding us that the NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS  we are concerned about this the NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS  of God in each one us. This is the true purpose of worship, to turn us toward the NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS  of God. In our modern context, we must also guard against allowing financial interests to overshadow spiritual integrity within our places of worship.

[__01__]   I’d like to share an experience of this, relating to my childhood experience of moving into a new house, I recall the significance of three factors: place, price, and property.

            Place held importance as we desired proximity to family, reflecting a deeper connection beyond mere convenience.

Price was crucial, requiring financial sacrifices and negotiations, demonstrating the practical aspects of homeownership.

Additionally, the property itself held meaning, symbolizing commitment and devotion, as evidenced by my grandmother's insistence on preserving our family home. She said, famously, “never sell this house.”

 

[__02__] Or if we connect this to the statement in the Gospel: “zeal for your house will consume me.”

This was a statement about Jesus's zeal, passion, devotion to the house.

A house in a particular place, a house for which he will pay the price with his life.

And, this house – this Temple – will be a permanent property to last forever through the Church.

 

[__05__]  In the Gospel today, Jesus demonstrates repeatedly his concern for the house of God, which he is not going to flip or resell.

Do you recall the famous episode and words spoken by the 12 year old year old Jesus when he goes missing on the family caravan journey to Jerusalem? Ultimately, the 12 year old Jesus is found in the temple and he displays wisdom and learning to the elder Scribes and Scholars.

When his parents asked him why he apparently ran away from them Jesus said, I didn't run away at all. But I have returned to be in my house  and says: 

“Why were you looking? What's the Why were you looking for me all over the place? Did you not know I would be in my father's house.” (Luke ____ )

 

[__06__] Are we not on the alert when “business” and marketing excessively interrupt on our lives?

            For example, are you and I are not sensitive sales calls or sales pitches? We don't want our own houses turned into a marketplace. In other words, we use caller ID these days to filter out unnecessary sales calls to get our house in our lives free of this distraction.

And are we not vigilant in our regard to keep our houses from not becoming an AMZN Marketplace?

 

[__07__]  Jesus's attitude is similar in response to what He's inviting us to do in our spiritual lives in our Lenten journey, to follow the commandments. And I'd like to return to the search for and care of the house as an example.

           

·       PLACE

·       PRICE

·       PROPERTY

 

First, place, it can take time, months, perhaps years to find the right location for a house and will we not sacrifice other things to get the house or the home.  As an adult, I notice now that my parents after we moved into that house, we didn't have a new car until 6 years after we moved into the house.

So, in a material sense zeal for our house. The house was the priority.

What about on a spiritual – sacramental journey level?

What things do you and I need to put aside to keep the Sabbath holy, to come to church on Sunday, to make Sunday a day for family and real friendship and intimacy with God?

[__08__]   I applaud you for your efforts for your witness your testimony, it matters for yourself, for your neighbors, for your children to be in God's house. It also shows that regardless of whether we live alone or with others, we have a connection to each other through God's house, through our service to each other by the commandments. Yes, we have many distractions in life. But when it comes to our house, where we live, do we not lay down our lives and lay down the law in terms of what we will accept in terms of noise or busyness or distraction. We want peace in our lives in our houses.

 

[__09__]   Jesus is also inviting us to clean up the house of our lives.

How does this “clean up” take shape for you and for me?

      I myself will avoid or postpone clean up if it means permanent lasting change. I myself enjoy cleaning up the kitchen, doing the dishes, washing the counters because I have the satisfaction of seeing the change on the surface.

But, real repentance is a different type of clean up and it does not happen all at once.

The clean up Jesus is asking for is connected to REPENTANCE, FORGIVNEESS, MERCY…

We learn lessons of this first at home.

            Here is an example of “clean up” from that first house.

[__10__]    About 2 years after moving into that house, I stood impatiently at the back door waiting for someone to answer it. I was about 8 years old. So impatient was I that I banged on the glass with my hand that had a winter glove on it. Fortunately!

I also broke the glass banging on the door. My parents were none too pleased. I had done something more than just materially wrong…. But also spiritually wrong by doubting so profoundly that I was actually abandoned at the back door.

But, I also took it as a lesson to be more patient.

I am still learning this lesson.

And, I also realize that we learn four first lessons of repentance and confession at home.

While my parents were displeased, I also recognized that I was loved. In grown up “terminology”, I had inherent value.

 We don't learn forgiveness first by going to a priest or speaking to God in a private room. But we learn it at home where the you is the mother and father function, or your mother and father functions almost like the priests, learning, teaching you about forgiveness, teaching you about unconditional love.

And that forgiveness doesn't mean that we're approving of bad actions, but that we're trying to grow. This forgiveness – at home - prepares you and me to go out beyond our houses, into the neighborhood, into the school into the street with the courage both to admit our faults when necessary, and the courage to forgive others. We learn this at home. What in our own houses.

[__11__]    These acts of contrition and forgiveness in the home also prepare you and me to go to speak to God in confession, throughout our lives. The advantage of the confessional is that it gives us a place to be totally honest in a safe and secure place and to start or re-start the process of conversion and recognize our inherent value to God and to each other.

In this regard, your church and the your home both have inherent value and complement each other. They are extensions of each other.  Our house is is a house of prayer and is meant to last forever.

[__end__]

No comments:

Post a Comment