Sunday, October 22, 2023

Paying Taxes (2023-10-22, Sunday 29th)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___    

____ Click Here for Video of Mass ____   

 Homily file for October 22, 2023   ___ 29th Sunday     ● Isaiah 45:1, 4-6 ● Psalm 96 ● 1 Thessalonians 1:1-5b ●  Matthew 22:15-21  ●  

Title: Paying Taxes

 

[_01__  Jesus, in this Gospel encounter with 2 of his adversaries – the Pharisees and Herodians successfully avoids being “tackled” / arrested by their strategy and question about paying taxes to the Roman Empire, to “Caesar”, or not.

          Jesus holds up a coin, showing Caesar, and says…sure, pay taxes to Caesar, in other words, take care of your material and earthly responsibilities, but also render unto God what belongs to God.

[_02__  A few years after my friend, N._____, got married, he asked his wife what she wanted for her birthday. She said I want a card with words.

          So, he went out, bought a Hallmark card, signed his “Love, N.______” name put in an envelope and gave it to his wife. His wife was thoroughly displeased. Not happy on her birthday.

          No, she said, I want your words, not the Hallmark words.
          Sometimes, we may get the incorrect idea that we can make ourselves happy or others happy only by doing the material things correctly or checking boxes.

          And , is it not true that you – as a parent, or teacher or anyone who is responsibility for someone else are called to deliver more than material goods.

          EXAMPLE – Many years ago, when I first started at the seminary, going to the seminary was a big change in my. I was very aware of all the material changes I had made, I moved out of the place where I lived, put all my things into boxes, moved them there, move some stuff to my parents house, quit, left my job, all the people I knew.

There was a priest in my parish, who was part of this journey from my “old life” to “new life”. Very early in the 1st semester, in the fall semester, I saw him, he asked me how I was doing. I said, everything's going well so far. And he said to me, but “I hope so because nothing has happened yet.”

I was taken aback insulted by this remark. But he had a point in that I really only done a few material things so far. I had not yet put my own calling into words, I had only signed the card, I had not put my own calling into words yet.

[_03__    The message of the gospel is that God has a deadline. And it is somewhat similar to a “tax” or system of “taxation”. How is discipleship similar to a paying taxes?

Why is discipleship like paying taxes?    It's not because there's a tax return or there's forms to fill out or the signatures of the IRS.

It's similar to a tax because it is based on what we have. As Jesus says in the Gospel, those who to whom much is given, much will be expected.

And discipleship is also about making a payment and observing a schedule…. the reality of a deadline, and also the reality of an extension.

I'm aware that I don't always deliver to God, or love my neighbor, how and when I am supposed to do so. And in this regard, sometimes I don't meet the deadline. And when I fail to act justly, in a truly timely manner, than justice delayed is justice denied by me, James Ferry.

I may miss the deadline. But the Lord also generously offers us extensions beyond the deadline, to repent, to reform, to go to confession, to start over. And to recognize that the Lord does ask us sometimes, he may ask us for more than we think we can give.

But also he will reward us more than we can expect. Any one of us may feel stretched, taxed, stressed out, pushed beyond our limits, and to ask the question, what really belongs to me?

That's the question. That's the tax question. That's a financial question what belongs to me what am I owe the government on?

But it's also the question that God is asking us to consider what belongs to you and it to recognize that everything we have first comes from God and we're called to give ourselves back to God in love of God and love of neighbor.

[_03__     Several years ago, a priest who had educated me the seminary retired. His name was Father Robert and he was very intellectually bright in Latin and Greek, but what I also knew him for was his hard-working devotion to his parish.

Once, on a Sunday morning after Mass, he went to a parishioners house with his tool box or tool belt, to fix the broken garage door that would not close properly. This was an example to me of the crossover between “Ceasar” and “God”

When he retired at age 71, he moved to a new rectory where there was much work to be done on the floors, the walls, painting, etc. At 71 years old and retired, he really did not have to give back anything to “Caesar” in that he did not have to run his parish administratively, but only be a chaplain and priest and be available to people.

But he believed in the “hybrid” or “cross over of material and spiritual responsibilties.”

Does this cross-over and hybrid reality not exist for you, as a parent, as a mother, father, as a teacher, as anyone who is caring for someone else?

If you accompany, take a loved one to the doctor or the hospital, this often involves “rendering unto Caesar” by handing over the $25 co-pay and filling out all the forms …but also involves “rendering unto God” by being present to someone whom you love.

When Father Robert got to his new rectory where he was to retire, he knew the  knew the rectory/house needed repairs. He knew the place the plan was to fix up the building the rectory the room that he was in, but there were also limited parish funds to do.  One day, the pastor pulled up a carpet in the room of his residence. This revealed that the floor was kind of messed up underneath the carpet. There were dozens or hundreds of little nails sticking out from the hardwood. This was kind of dangerous. The pastor assured Father Robert that this would be fixed the floor would be fixed or re carpeted or something.

Within an hour, however, Father Robert, however, took out his own pliers, removed every single nail personally and made the floor smooth.

I think he financially saved the parish a few dollars.

We live in a broken world in which we are often cynical about taxes, taxation, government funding and getting what we deserve.

Jesus himself was aware of the hypocrisy of the question about paying taxes and whether one can achieve “salvation” and “security” by doing only one or the other. The call is to do both.

But, in giving back to God, we are also following in Jesus’ footsteps – who creates and a new law and a new order , he made the payment on the Cross before we even got here and reminds us to love God and love our neighbor with a hopeful attitude, not as a penalty from God but as a reminder to give back for what we have been received. By our actions by our acts of contrition and sorrow, by what we choose lovingly to do and lovingly to avoid, we can render to God what belongs to God, thus receive a greater return both in heaven and on earth.  [_END__   

No comments:

Post a Comment