Sunday, September 3, 2023

Suffering. Value (2023-09-03, 22nd Sunday)

___ Click Here for Audio of Homily ___  

__ Click Here for Video of Mass___ 

 Homily, Sept 3, 2023  22nd Sunday   ● Jeremiah 20:7-9 ● Psalm 63 ● Romans 12:1-2 ● +Matthew 16:21-27 ●    Title:   Suffering. Value.

 [_01__     Recently, I made a trip, and traveled cross-country, to see my brother and his family in the city of Los Angeles, flying to southern California.

          It was a worthwhile trip to catch up with my brother and his family. As you know, a cross-country journey also means a change in time zone, from eastern time to Pacific time, a 3-hour change and – at times – the jet lag and tiredness that goes with a time zone change.

[_02__   Are you ever out of synch – or out of step – with the timing or the tasks or the people around you? Does this make you tired?

In what way is Peter the apostle and Jesus our Lord out of synch, out of step, out of alignment?

 [_03__   In last Sunday’s Gospel, recall that Peter synchronized himself to Jesus, as Peter answered the 2 questions posed by Jesus:

-        Who do people say that I am?

-        Who do you say that I am?

Peter has the correct answer: “you are the Christ, the son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:16)

But, now, this Sunday, a few sentences later in the same chapter, Peter gets more information about Jesus’ identity and Peter does not like what he hears.

Peter wants to be in his own time zone. Peter looks tired.

[_04__ This is a moment in the Gospel when Peter is revealed to afraid of – or at least out of step with -- what is coming next, especially when it involves suffering.

          Have you ever been afraid of what is coming next or what the consequences of your actions might be?

[_05__]  Some time ago, I was telling a friend about an incident in which I saw the negative consequences of my action, on the 1 hand, but OTOH, the blessing of God’s mercy in my life and that of others.  And, praise God, things worked out better than I expected.

          It was, for a short time, an experience of suffering but also an experience of surrender, recognizing that I was not in control of the outcome. God was in charge.  

And, while I readily admitted that I did not say or do the right things, and was willing to take responsibility, I myself could not press the “Undo” key.

          I attributed the incident and consequences to my own lack of alertness, my impatience, my feeling of being a bit tired …

          Part of me wanted to go back to a different time zone before the incident happened.

          Being proud, I did not want to admit that I was wrong or “repent”, but this admission of guilt/responsibility was really the only way.

There was no [Esc] key.

[_06__]  My friend tried to build me up, encourage me and – being a sports fan – he shared with me a quote from the American football coach, Vince Lombardi who stated, “fatigue – or feeling tired – makes cowards of us all.”

          And, that applied to me.

          But, I could not blame the fatigue or circumstances for my actions. I was the source of my own fatigue or tiredness.

[_07__  It said that God draws straight with crooked lines.

          In other words, God can draw straight from the crookedness and brokenness of my fear and fatigue, if I will permit Him to do.

          Sometimes, I am similar to Peter, getting in the way by my denials of what the truth really is – about myself or some situation.   Peter is starting in on one of his “denials” right now, by denying that Jesus has to suffer.

          Later, when Jesus was really suffering after being arrested and he became a prisoner of the  authorities, Peter was asked if he has any connection to this “prisoner” Jesus of Nazareth.

          Peter denies knowing Jesus, 3x. Of course, the good news is that Peter ultimately reconciles with our Lord and is welcomed back.

  [_08__   Right now, Peter and Jesus are not on the same page. They appear to be in different time zones.

          It will take time for Peter to learn – and for us to learn – that our suffering and sacrifice has value both for ourselves and others.

          I found these words of Thomas Merton, Catholic writer and Trappist monk of the 20th century, to be helpful:

          “If we consider suffering to be greatest evil and pleasure the greatest good, then we will live submerged in sinfulness. Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to face suffering, which is a lesser evil, in order to avoid the greatest evil, sin.” (Thomas Merton, “The Word of the Cross”, Love and Living, p. 83)

[_09__  Who is the person with whom you have the greatest struggle right now, or what is the task you least enjoy doing?

          Perhaps, this person or this task – this suffering – exists as a source of spiritual “resistance training” (like weight lifting) for your soul and salvation.

          Jesus said, “do not just love those who love you, but love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”. (cf. Matthew 5:43-48)

          This person who seems to be a hindrance or the task which seems to be a hindrance can be a path to HOLINESS.

          It is not just the time zone that can change. We can change, though it may not happen in only 3 hours.

           This is not always easy. It was not easy for Peter to repent after his denials. Yet, it is by living out a spirit of real contrition and truthfulness that we realize that we can love completely with God’s help and grace. This will reduce our fatigue, give us energy and help us to grow fortitude and courage.   [_END__]

No comments:

Post a Comment