Sunday, October 30, 2022

Zacchaeus. Out on a limb. Contrition (2022-10-30, Sunday-31)

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily___  

___ Click Here for Video of Mass ____ 

 2022-10-30 – 31st Sunday      Wisdom 11:22-12:2  ● Psalm 145 ●   2 Thessalonians 1:11-2:2 ●●  + Luke 19:1-10 ● ●  

 [__00-a__]     Zacchaeus climbs up a tree, climbs up a sycamore tree. He goes up the trunk of the tree and out on a branch or out on a limb, to see Jesus. Anyone or any animal could climb a tree go out on the branch / out on the limb in to reach someone / something. And at the end of this homily, I'd like to talk about that expression of going out on a limb or what it means to take a risk.

 [__01 __]      Several years ago, I learned something about sorrow, contrition, and conversion. But, I was not in church at the time hearing confessions.

           I had arrived recently and was a new parish priest / pastor for you, assigned here by the Archbishop.

At the time I was a newer and inexperienced parish priest.   Now I'm an older and inexperienced parish priest.

This was the story about “sorrow” or “being sorry.”   I had a 10 am in the morning meeting scheduled with 1 of our building contractors about a repair on the church. The man, the contractor arrived, and he arrived a few minutes early.  As the clock struck 10 am o'clock, I was trying to finish something up and did not come to meet him right away… I was about 5-10 minutes late for him.

In my heart, I was feeling my usual vanity or pride, and really didn't think that my lack of punctuality was any big deal. After all, this contractor was here to see me. We were going to be paying him for his services. Did it really matter? As they say, the customer is always right. And I was the customer.

But just to be polite, I told man waiting to see me “Sorry, I'm late.” 

But he knew that I was not sorry. How did I know? Because he told me. He told me face to face, in person, and man to man, “You're not sorry.”

And as only a respected man of experience in years could say to me as a younger person, “You're not sorry.” He was absolutely correct. He put me in my place without being angry or resentful, or bitter. He was good natured. He was even laughing. He was Christ to me in that moment.

[__02__]      What does it mean to have a contrite heart, contrite spirit, true sorrow?

Here's another example about a lack of punctuality, not being on time, sorrow.

One things I learned from my own family --- in the seminary and priesthood studies of the rules of the Ferry family house --- is that sometimes the breaking of rules that it was possible for me to break the rules.

And if I, as long as I avoided being caught that I could avoid being sorry, right. That's what kids think. If I don't get caught, I won't have to be sorry.

One particular evening, I arrived home very late. Now this was when after I had a driver's license. I was 19 years old. At this point, I pulled into the driveway and had been driving my father’s car. I’d been out with my friends.

My father was inconvenienced by my lateness because he wanted to leave on vacation that evening, and he couldn't leave. Because he didn't have his car.

There was no cell phone, no GPS, no way to check on me where I was. And when I arrived home in the middle of the night, my father was not visibly angry with me. He was upset, but I think it was partially relieved that I was still alive that it was actually breathing.

But I was at that moment, sorry. Yes, I had gotten away with being out all night. But I realized that my actions had caused trouble had called heart ache, or learned something about contrition and a contrite spirit.

[PEER PRESSURE] And also I had to ask myself about whether it's really worth it to give into peer pressure, and to do everything my friends were doing. Was that really worth it? I was sorry.

[__03__]       In the Gospel, this Sunday, we read about Zacchaeus, the tax collector.

Hearing this gospel, I'm always reminded about a moment when I was a teenager, in a Catholic CYO youth group. And I was asked to give a talk, a witness talk on a retreat to my peers.

And the biblical reading associated with the talk was this one. Luke chapter 19, 1 à 10, Zacchaeus climbs the tree. The title of the talk was “OUT ON A LIMB”.   The expression pertains to an animal or person going further and further from the trunk of the tree to reach something or someone.  

Zacchaeus climbed the sycamore tree, went out on a limb to see Jesus.

 

[Z] takes a risk. It’s dangerous. His, his people, the Jewish people, were not in favor of [Z]  making repentance. They did not think he was capable of any sorrow or real repentance or anything trustworthy.

[Z] was super negative [----], as though – in modern day terms – he wre Wall Street financier doing insider trading making tons of money for himself while everyone else was loving money. Somebody who traded on insider information. [Z] = Bernie Madoff who many investors – especially in NYC - with his pyramid scheme. Bernie Madoff was gaining while others lost and even though he died in prison, people might still wonder if was really sorry or sufficiently punished.

[Z] was gaining while other people were losing. And, for many years he was absolutely not sorry ! [Z] was the white collar criminal par excellence.  He was stealing from his own people and making the Roman Empire prosper. And even worse, he was a chief tax collector and a very wealthy man.

[__04__]       In my own “”Out on a Limb” talk, I told my youth group peers of an event in which some of them were actually involved.

It was about my failure to go out on a limb when I could have!  A few months before that in the summertime, our youth group had been on a summertime trip to a theme park called Vernon Valley Action Park here in NW NJ, water rides, car, go karts, pools, etc.

It was a great day with a strict deadline to meet at front gate in the parking lot by the bus at 4 pm..

I was in a group however, that decided that the 4 pm rule did not apply to us.  We missed the bus, but got a ride because one of the chaperones stayed behind with her blue Chevrolet station wagon and drove us home in the blue Chevy station wagon. But there were consequences for our actions. And I knew afterwards, I knew I had let people down. 

And I decided to go along with this group because I thought going along with this group was going to make me cool going along with this group was going to be my path to growing up my path to adulthood, strength, etc.

I told my peers how I'd given into peer pressure, and really let other people down that I was just going along with the crowd.  I had failed to go out on a limb. My “talk” went over well !

But was I really sorry? I asked myself this because sometime later, after I gave the talk, I had a talk with the parish priest who was on the trip with us. His name was Father Anthony.

Father Anthony was the leader and chaperone of the trip. And he told me he thanked me for reflecting on that episode, for getting up and telling the story for going out on a limb by telling the truth of what had happened.

But the truth was that I had failed and let down the group.  Father Anthony told me he was pretty angry that day, felt hurt by what we done and after all, he was responsible for all of us.

I was 16 but I learned something about the priesthood that day I learned something about his fatherly role to us. And I learned that my actions had consequences for him, but also that my confession had consequences.

My contrition had consequences. Confession has consequences. Contrition has consequences Absolution has a consequence. Mercy has a consequence.

God's mercy is greater than any of our sins. Jesus comes to save you and me who are lost. He says today to Zacchaeus, to you, to me, invites us to conversion and also that he that he wants to enter into your life and my own, with urgency àcome down quickly, for today I must stay at your house”  (Luke 19:5)  [__end__]    

No comments:

Post a Comment