Sunday, September 11, 2022

Squander. Wander. Ponder (2022-09-11, Sunday-24)

__ Click Here for Audio of Homily____

___ Click Here for Video of Mass ____ 

 2022-09-11 –24th Sunday  &    

Title:   Squander. Wander.Ponder (9/11)

● ● Exodus 32:7-11, 13-14 ● ● Psalm 51   ●●   1 Timothy 1:12-17 ●●  + Luke 15:1-32 ● ●

[__00__]    This is the Gospel of the Prodigal Son which I’d like to touch on in terms of the one who …

  • Squanders (or is extravagant or wasteful with the family fortune)
  • Wanders (the son who drifts away …then drifts back; even when he comes home, he is not that expecting all that much …it’s not until he’s there that the relationship is restored and…then)
  • Ponders (both sons are called to ponder God’s mercy and love)

 

[__01__]     Here is an example of “squandering and wandering”

I can recall vividly certain details from the day of my sister’s birthday party years ago,  a celebration at home in the mid-1990’s when she turned 16. Sweet 16.  It was a Sunday, a crowded party, many family and friends. I was introduced for the 1st time to my brother’s girlfriend whom he married the following year. I met my future sister-in-law in the living room by the couch.

            What causes me to recall specific details was not the party itself but an unexpected phone call that evening. My parents rang to tell me a dear friend of our family had died suddenly, out of the blue.  And, he was the godfather of my sister.

            Hearing the news, I was shaken up and sad, but I recall that I resisted much mourning or sorrow or grief over this. While I attended his wake and funeral mass in church, I participated at a minimum.  I squandered the opportunity to be with my family and friends that day ..though I was also in sorrow and mourning.

            I wandered. I left church immediately after the funeral-mass, going NEITHER to cemetery/burial NOR to repast/lunch afterwards where so many of many family and friends were going.

            I went from “mass” to “mass transit”.  In my resistance to reality of mortality, I headed out to the station to catch a train to Hoboken and then PATH to NYC, to return to work, to resume my regular routine ASAP, to go back what I knew, to stay where I had been.

While I felt out of place when I arrived back to work I was “somewhere else” emotionally, at the time, I did not really know what else to do. I was wandering !

 

[__02__]    Perhaps, I would have benefited from the STRUCTURE of the the U.K. / England government – the 10 day plan – for what do after the death of Queen Elizabeth II. The plan has been in place for years and now everyone has to follow it.  By the way, Queen of England died, in case you didn’t know.

 

[__03__]      Do you want to stay where you are, or to move? If you insist on staying where you are, then you may be similar to me and my attachment to riding the train back to work ASAP.

            The elder son of the parable of the Prodigal Son also wanted to stay where he was. He also wanted his father to be stationary, to be sedentary, to stay where he was and not run out to meet his brother – the Prodigal Son -- by whom they were clearly all “betrayed” personally, financially, historically. The younger son had squandered and wandered.

            The Prodigal Son is the sinner and outcast par excellence.  But the Prodigal Son has mobility. That’s good news.

            It may be surprising, since the Prodigal Son had squandered a great deal of money– “lead in the standings”, more of a lead than the baseball New York Yankees had in July  (there is still hope for the Yankees) …  and so the Prodigal Son was now actually in “last place” in the “minor  leagues” far from home, without decent meals. The Prodigal Son could would have been eating the scraps that fell on the floor of Yankee Stadium !

 

[__04__]       Yes, we all fall into “squandering” and “wandering”, but we are also called to ponder God’s goodness …to ponder the commandments not just to   avoid punishment but because it is good, it is nourishing, it is peaceful when we come out of the darkness. I.e., don’t stay where you are. Here is an example of “wandering and pondering”.

EXAMPLE ---            A few years ago, I went to visit my parents at their home and I arrived and was feeling kind of restless so I stayed up to watch TV until around 1:30 am. At 12:30 am – shortly after midnight --  there was some major news or political story. Because I had squandered a good night’s sleep, I heard the news overnight.

            At around 8 in the morning, my father asked me the next morning – did you hear about what happened in D.C. last night and I pretended not to know… this was a lie, in order to conceal how late I had been up …. Because I was tired, etc.

            Then, feeling guilty about the lie… I wandered back and … oh yeah, I did hear about that last night. To which he then said… how late were you up?

            I said… around 11.

            Then, he countered..but that news was reported after midnight !

            In other words, I could no longer stay where I had been.  The 24-hour news feed and social media caught me in my wandering.

            My father and I laughed about it…but I just use it as an example that “frequent confession” of our faults is beneficial  and how easy it is fall into dishonesty and sometimes how hard it is to come out of it !

            Jesuit Father John Hardon wrote:  “The principal source of conflict in the human spirit is the sense of guilt. Psychologists tell  us it is the mysterious feeling of guilt which lies at the root of most people’s disquiet of mind and disturbance of will. On both levels [the mental or rational level of our mind] and the [behavorial or decision making part], the Sacrament of Penance is a great gift.  (Source: John A. Hardon, S.J., The Spiritual and Psychological Value of Frequent Confession, 1998)

            Admitting we are wrong helps us to make decisions, not to stay where we are.

            It is also something to ponder. Recall that our blessed mother – Mary – when she is visited by the shepherds in Bethlehem after the birth of Jesus – did not really understand everything, but kept these things and “pondered them in her heart” (Luke ch. 2:19)

 

[__05__]    9/11 EXAMPLE OF PONDERING      In the years leading up to 9/11/2001, a worker at a NY-based company -- called Morgan Stanley was constantly “pondering” the need for safety and a safe exit from the World Trade Center tower. As a result of other terrorist attacks – especially the 1993 bombing of WTC – he felt that they should not SQUANDER the chance to be ready he next time.

Richard (“Rick”) Rescorla  was his name. And, he did not SQUANDER.  He was in charge of security and fire drills in the at the World Trade Center, for nearly 4,000 co-workers and was adamant that they should practice – frequently / regularly – moving in and out of the building.

            Throughout the 1990‘s  Richard was frequently criticized by his 4,000 co-workers and superiors because these fire drills interrupted the business day. Yet, they needed practice, according to Richard.

[][][]

At 8:46 A.M. on the morning of September 11, 2001, AA # 11 struck the North Tower of WTC.  Richard heard the explosion and saw the tower burning from his office window in the 44th floor of the South T (WTC 2). When a Port Authority announcement came over the P.A. system urging people to ___ stay at their desks ___, and before UA # 175 would strike the South T at 9:03 A.M., Richard ignored the announcement, grabbed his bullhorn, walkie-talkie and cell phone, and began systematically to order roughly all employees of his company in the South Tower and in WTC 5  to evacuate (___i.e., do not stay where you are… escape ___).   While watching the news coverage, Richard called a friend and said, "[They] told me not to evacuate," and, "They said it's just [WTC 1]   I told them I'm getting my people [   ]  out of here." He directed people down a stairwell starting at the 44th floor, keeping people away from elevators while telling them to remain calm.

He used everything in his life, military combat trining, his years of practice …nothing was wasted or squandered.

They even sang battlefield military songs in the stairwell.

Between songs, Richard called his wife (Susan), telling her, "Stop crying. I have to get these people out safely. If something should happen to me, I want you to know I've never been happier. You made my life," and Susan replied, "You made my life, too" before the phone went dead

After successfully evacuating nearly all of his 4,000 co-workers, Richard went back into the building.  When one of his colleagues told him he too had to evacuate the WTC, Richard replied, "As soon as I make sure everyone else is out."  He was last seen on the 10th floor of the South Tower, heading upstairs, shortly before its collapse 9:59 A.M.,

Within Richard’s company of 4,000 employees, 13 employees died on 9/11, including Richard himself, the members of his team including a security guard, who had stayed behind to help others.

They died along with 343 firefighters of the FDNY and 73 police officers and responders of Port Authority, NYPD, State Police, FBI and EMS died. All of these first responders went into harm’s way willingly They did not stay where they were.

It was the worst terrorist attack in world history. Nearly 3,000 people died. We are called to pray for the dead. Surely there were some prodigal sons and daughters among them who did not know they would died that day.

Christ also died for them. They need our prayers even today for their eternal salvation. We all need God’s grace for we are not called just to stay where we are but to come home to Him each day. Do not squander. Do not wander. Ponder ! Keep all of these things in your heart.  [__end_]   

No comments:

Post a Comment