Sunday, June 6, 2021

Corpus Christi (Sunday 2021-06-06)

Homily – June 6, 2021,  (ver. 6, 11:30 am Mass)

Corpus Christi   Exodus 24:3-8  ●  Psalm 116 ●   Hebrews 9:11-15 ● + Mark 14:12-16, 22-26

 [__01__]     In the very first Holy Communion and Corpus Christi mentioned in the Gospel today, the disciples are told to go and prepare the Passover supper at a location they have never seen. Jesus does not write down the address.      

          Rather, they are told to find in the midst of the town a man carrying a water jar and that he would lead them to the Upper Room.

          Even Jesus is not explicit with his own disciples. One reason is that he knew he was already being “stalked” , not stalked online, or trolled in the media, but rather stalked by Judas Iscariot his betrayer. Jesus wants to make sure he is not arrested before Passover, thus he keeps the Last Supper address a secret until the last possible moment.

          Otherwise, Judas might betray him too soon.

          Jesus gives us the Eucharist not to produce a sensation and sense in us right away, but rather to give us the sensibility to search for him, to listen to him, to know of a life beyond this world, not in another country, but in another kingdom.

          Also, while Jesus and his ways have a way of making us unsettled and uncomfortable – at times – they are also given to us to help us to grow.

          He is our sacrament, our treasure.

          In this way, his sacrament is the key to our journey, to make our own search engine work.

 

[__02__]     Sometimes, though, being Jesus’ disciples or trying to be, we might feel a bit unsure of what we are giving and what we are going to get…

          I am guilty of this … even now, sometimes, reluctant to do my best or to be cheerful and patient..because I am not sure what I am going to get out of it.  While I am willing to promote some positive changes, I want to know what the payback will be… But, is this really the way to look at things?

 

[__03__]    On the day of my ordination as a priest, a day on which I should have been thinking only about God and goodness…. Even on that day, I was measuring / evaluating my schedule very carefully.  It was on a Saturday morning at the Cathedral in Newark, I recall that I was feeling both enthusiastic and a bit self-conscious about the whole big solemnity and celebratory atmosphere of the affair.  I arrived at the cathedral about 45 minutes before the Mass was to begin…and that made me the absolute last one to arrive among my classmates. I seem to recall the Archbishop’s assistant secretary giving me, as we say, a “look” … as to why I was not 90 minutes as the other candidates for ordination were. Fortunately, neither he nor the Archbishop are at the cathedral anymore!

          Part of my “arrival time” had do with my own understanding that I would be at the cathedral for several hours… and, I told others about this., I had sent invitations to family and friends and was pleased that many had responded enthusiastically that they would come to the cathedral – I myself never had any interest in attending a priesthood ordination prior to the seminary…and it took me one or two years in the seminary before I was even very interested in the whole ritual. I also knew – from experience – that the Mass of Priesthood ordination was 3 hours long.

          In the invitation, I included a note to tell everyone about these 180 minutes of Catholic worship. It did not deter them, or maybe it did.

          Here is the story.  On the sidewalk outside the cathedral, I bumped into some of my cousins and a family friend. One of my cousins said to the friend – Ray, you know, I’m surprised you’re here … you know, this Mass is 3 hours long.  The look on his face was priceless and he was immediately calling out for his wife to ask why he was not told this.

He stayed for the whole Mass… we laughed about it later.

          I was a bit self-conscious, but it brought into focus that my ministry as a priest did not exist then – nor does it exist know – in a time-space continuum in a galaxy far far away…but rather exists with and for the people in the church, also the people on the sidewalk … and even for those who do not come to church.

          We exist as a parish family to celebrate Corpus Christi, to put our trust in God, not only for those who are here but also for those who are not here, or those who one day will be here.

[__04__]    I bring this up because the disciples in the Gospel reading may be feeling a bit strange, weirdly self-conscious about what exactly they are being asked to do, in order to prepare the Passover meal for Jesus.

          This is Corpus Christi Sunday and a moment for us to recall explicitly Jesu’s gift to us of his Body and Blood, and also of how this reveals not only his love for us, but also invites us to love him in return to love those whom he loves, and to know better and more completely the dignity and value of even the person who seems insignificant or the person who makes us uncomfortable or anxious, the person who make us wonder – what am I going to get out of this? What’s in it for me?

          Why me?

          The question in such a case is not ..”why me”… but “why not me?”

[__05__] I’d like to conclude with this example of priestly sacrifice and what “foolishness” transformed to wisdom:

Vietnam priest/bishop

I read this on CATHOLIC.ORG.

          I think this was written several years BEFORE the coronavirus and COVID-19 and “sheltering in place”

What would happen if you were in a prolonged situation where you did not have the regular availability of a priest? What would happen if even Sunday Mass was no longer accessible?

Many of our brothers and sisters throughout the world experience these kinds of terrible situations. One example can be found in the life and Catholic priesthood of  Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan.

Francis was a Catholic priest from Vietnam. He was ordained a priest, became a bishop/AB in 1975, and later a cardinal. Only a few months after his appointment as bishop, he was arrested and imprisoned by the Vietnamese government / police for 13 years. 9 of those 13 years were spent in solitary confinement!

In year 2000, JP2 invited him give “meditations” at a Lenten retreat in Rome  / Vatican. Father Nguyen (now Cardinal Nguyen) gave what he called his "Testimony of Hope".

In one meditations, Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, movingly describes what it was like – in prison - not to have the Eucharist readily available and what he had to do to celebrate Mass and how this happened without others physical present.

"When I was arrested by the police, I had to leave immediately with empty hands. The next day, I was permitted to write to my people (parishioners) in order to ask for the most necessary things: clothes, toothpaste. I wrote – in a kind of secret code of my religious wish -- , 'Please send me a little wine as medicine for my stomachache.' The faithful [people] understood right away.

They sent me a small bottle of wine with a label that read, 'medicine for stomachaches.' But it was not for stomachaches but for Mass. They also sent some Communion hosts, which they hid in a flashlight for protection against the humidity. The police asked me, 'You have stomachaches? Yes. Here's some medicine for you.'

I will never be able to express my great joy! Every day, with three drops of wine and a drop of water in the palm of my hand, I would celebrate Mass. This was my altar, and this was my cathedral! It was true medicine for soul and body, 'Medicine of immortality, remedy so as not to die but to have life always in Jesus', as St. Ignatius of Antioch says.

Each time I celebrated the Mass, I had the opportunity to extend my hands and nail myself to the cross with Jesus, to drink with him the bitter chalice. Each day in reciting the words of consecration, I confirmed with all my heart and soul a new pact, and eternal pact between Jesus and me through his blood mixed with mine. Those were the most beautiful Masses of my life!" (p. 131)            [__fin__]

No comments:

Post a Comment