Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Ash Wednesday (2021-02-17)

 2021-02-17 – ASH WEDNESDAY

__ Joel 2:12-18 __ Psalm 51 __  2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2  __ +Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18 _

Title:   Lent. Instruction. Intention.

 [_01_]   A few years ago, I  got 2 speeding tickets – in one year – and found myself with the unfortunate status of having “points” on my license.

          I was younger than I am now at the time… perhaps, it was the errors and inexperience of youth.

          At the time, I was driving my father’s Honda Civic around town. I noticed that that particular car seemed to drive very fast at very comfortable speeds, and I was not really aware of how fast I was going.

          I blamed my infractions – my speeding violations on the car.

I told myself I would never ever drive a Honda because they just go too quickly..and I can’t be trusted behind the wheel of such a car.  I have never driven a Honda vehicle since.

          I am not sure that my reasoning is really sound.

 [_02_]   It’s Ash Wednesday. And, fasting is a topic of the Gospel.

          It’s an INSTRUCTION also about what we can control and what we cannot control.

          Recently, I read this in an article about fasting and the reason we might give up – or forego – something such as sweets or chocolate or coffee … or that we might limit our consumption of some other food.

          We fast in order to get a grip on our lives and to regain control of those things which have gotten out of control.

          While I had no desire to get another speeding ticket…and I did watch my speed more carefully, I was also not completely ready to take responsibility, to take control: blame it on the car!

          So, why do we fast – in order to gain control of things that we can actually control.

          There are so many things we cannot control… fasting does not make each of us a slave to Lenten practice..but makes aware of our own human freedom and decision making power.

[_03_]     Why do we fast? Why do we receive instructions to fast? The nurse or doctor advises us to fast so that she may give us a medical test or check-up or read our  “chart”.

          A nurse or doctor wants to observe your body or my body in a rested, slowed-down, tranquil condition.

          So we fast – according to instructions.

          Because we associate “fasting” with the instructions of a nurse or doctor, instructions that for the sake of surgery or testing – may be very exact or explicit or stringent, we may try to impose the same structure or strictness on ourselves.   

          But, is not true that moderation in fasting can also be g a good thing?

          One example of this.

          A while back, there was a birthday celebration in our office at which there was delicious leftover cake.

          I told everyone not to leave it for me. So, they did not. They gave the cake to the electrician who was working in our office that day. The cake was wrapped up for him and he left it, temporarily, along with his papers on my desk.

          I actually had to restrain myself from asking him … hey, is that your package, your cake?

          So, in this case, the “fast” was not even from the cake itself ….. but just from making it a topic of conversation.

          Moderation is best.

 [_04_]     Finally, I suggest we also remember the spirit of fasting and the spirit of the Friday abstinence from meat.

          In our traditional 5-day work week, FRIDAY often is a day of celebration or T-G-I-F in one way or another.

          Friday is also the day of our Lord’s Passion.

          I’m not suggesting you cannot go out to eat on Friday.

          But, I just remind you – and need to remind myself – that the practice of the Friday abstaining from meat is not to eat everything except meat.

          The point of fasting is not only to avoid certain foods but also to avoid the control food may have over us.

          And also to recognize what we can fast from small things, even things other people will never notice, because by doing so, we are sure that we are doing so in secret and the father who sees in secret will repay us.  [_fin_]   

No comments:

Post a Comment