Tuesday, October 4, 2016

What Goes Up Must Come Down (2016-10-02)

Sunday Oct . 2 2016  /  27th Sunday (year C)
Habakkuk 1:2-3, 2:2-4  • Psalm 95  2 Timothy 1:6-8, 13-14 • Luke 17:5-10 •           

[__v2-01__]  What goes up must come down. What goes up must come down.
This is a law of physics that tells us the destination of every object – whether a baseball or the space shuttle or a satellite. Even stars “shoot” or fly through outer space because they do not last forever.
What goes up must come down.

[__v2-02__]   In these examples, we are also referring to material things that depend on our strength, our force, to hurl them, to propel them into center field or the atmosphere.
Their travel is CONDITIONAL. United Airlines is also CONDITIONAL. They do not fly – nor do I fly on their aircraft – unless I have paid my fare, presented my boarding pass, and shown photo I.D.
On the other hand, we might say, at times, that we are praying for RAIN or SUN or SNOW. Yes, some people pray for snow.
But, the rainfall is not CONDITIONAL. That is, it is not part of a contract or a condition. I cannot earn good weather. Some situations are beyond our control.

[__v2-03__]   I use these examples, because this is the month of the Rosary, the month of October. And, when we pray the Rosary, we are also sending up our petitions to God, we are offering ourselves up to God.

In Psalm 141 we read about the upward path, the trajectory of our petitions, comparing this to the fire and flame and smoke of burning coals and incense,

“Let me prayer arise before you like incense, the raising of my hands like an evening oblation (sacrifice.)”  (Psalm 141:__)

 [__v2-04__]  In this month of the Rosary and the month of October, we are reminded of the importance of meditation on God’s will, God’s mystery in the life of our Savior and our Blessed Mother.

And, what we observe is their trust, their confidence in God’s will, God’s plan. Their prayer and action without CONDITIONS, without regard for conditions.

This trust and faith are celebrated when we pray the sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary, Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemani. We meditate on his words, “Father not my will but thine be done.”  (Luke 22:42)
This trust and faith are celebrated when we pray the joyful mysteries of the Rosary, Mary with the angel Gabriel. We meditate on her words, “Let it be done to me according to thy word.”  (Luke 1:38)
[* * *  P A U S E * * *]
[__v2-05__]  When you and I make a request, a petition, a plea before God, we also pray that His will would be done in our lives.
A prayer for peace – in our families – is not a prayer for my version of a peace treaty or truce.

It is a request that not only my prayers will be answered but that the prayers and needs of others will be answered.
Just as we request God’s unconditional mercy for ourselves, we are also called to do so for others. 
[[[     

[__01__]  Will my prayers be answered?
Will my prayer for peace be answered?
Several years ago, I was working in New York, before my seminary education started. At that time, I became aware of ongoing trouble – animosity and bitterness – between a person in my department and a person in another department.
Though these 2 individuals had 2 different bosses, had 2 different objectives, and had 2 different bosses, they sat right next to each other at adjacent desks.
At first they did not know each other, then they were sociable…then they became adversaries.
In this situation, I was not really sure who started the whole thing. Nor did I have any idea – at the time – who would finish.
The experience was uncomfortable for the two of them. I was also a bit uncomfortable.
Now, of course, this was a corporate – commercial environment and I was not a Catholic priest at the time.
Isn’t it true that sometimes we are involved in conflicts in which winners are not well defined, as they would be at the World Series, the 2016 Rio Olympics, or the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

[__02__]    I was in this case, witnessing two adults – two grown-ups – who had personal differences, resentment between the two of them.
At the time, I was thinking about entering the seminary. I spoke with my parish priest at the time and described the opponents and so-called playing field.
What could I do ?
He / Father Joe agreed that there was probably nothing I could do, to intervene, to solve, blow a whistle, call the ball fair of fall, be a referee, or declare a winner.
I could not compel them to “make nice” or “play nice.”

He simply asked me this question, “have you said a prayer, have your prayed for each of them? Or, are you already praying for them?”
 I had to admit that this thought had not crossed my mind. Why would I pray for them? They are not doing anything to me directly. They have not committed any personal fouls against me.
Nevertheless, my prayer for them was as important as anything I could do or say.
 Leemos en la carta de Pablo a los Filipenses:    ¨No se procupen por nada, al contrario, en toda oración y súplica, presentan a Dios  sus peticiones con acción de gracias(Filipenses 4:6)


[__03_-new_]  So, what I did over the next few days was that I made an effort to for them regularly, that this would be resolved peacefully.
Their debates continued. It was, however, not an election year with a clear end in sight.
But, sometime later, a month or two, I was blessed with an answer.
During this time, I did notice an immediate change in the behavior of these 2 individuals. However, I also noticed that I was less anxious about the situation. I also hoped that they would be.
When a resolution and a solution arrived, I was surprised and aware that I had nothing to do with the outcome or result.
What happened ?
The person in my group came to me one day and told me that the other person and the entire department were being relocated out of the building, to another floor or building in the city.
This person would be leaving in a few days.
My colleague said to me as part of this…and I quote…
“My prayers were answered.”
What goes up must come down.

]]]]]

No comments:

Post a Comment