Sunday, October 23, 2011

An Excellent Way (2011-10-23)

This is my homily for Sunday 23 October 2011. I am a Catholic chaplain in Teaneck at Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) campus and for the FDU Newman Catholic Association. We celebrate Catholic Mass - during Fall and Spring semester - every Sunday Mass (7:30 p.m.) at the Interfaith Chapel, 842 River Road, Teaneck, NJ.

[_01_] In this reading from the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 22, Jesus is asked to make an evaluation, to provide a ranking, to set a priority.
“Which commandment of the law is the greatest?”

Which is the greatest?

First, we might reflect on how we determine greatness, excellence.

Of course, many examples of superior performance exist. And, some things which are regarded as superior in a popular sense are not the same things we really think are important.

We might, for example, enjoy certain entertainment, spoorts, movies, film, recreation. Some of these things might win awards, trophies, honors. Do they, however, possess greatness, the beauty, importance of which the Lord speaks?

Isn’t Jesus being asked a question about enduring greatness, about greatness that can and will continue?

Some things are currently in vogue, in fashion, or # 1.

[_02-EXAMPLES OF GREATNESS_] In professional sports, in major-league baseball, either the St. Louis Cardinals or the Texas Rangers will be the 2011 World Series Champion.

Japan and Spain are the current champions in the women’s and men’s world cup of soccer.

In tennis, Novak Djokovic from Croatia the current champion of the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open.

These individuals and teams have risen to the top, the summit in their selected competitions. In fact, no one “nominated” them... no one choose them... they were simply victorious in a competition with referees, point totals ...and they are currently number one.

[_03_] How do you and I determine greatness? Is it only based on CURRENT performance, yesterday, last week ...and my CURRENT comparision of myself with others?

Or ... my latest grade on a midterm exam or popularity poll?

Can we achieve – do we seek – greatness which is beyond these particular moments in time?

[_04_] Jesus is asked, “Teacher, which commandment of the law is the greatest?”
Aren’t students fond of asking this question of the teacher in the classroom?

As students you and I would also want to know – what do I need to know right now, or for this semester .... for final exam, A.P. exam, or test I will have in a few weeks or months?

And, so Jesus tells them about greatness –

[_05_-love of God and of fellow human being..]

That is, what is the greatest commandment:

We show our love for God not only by our attendance at worship and prayer but also by our attentiveness to – a brother, sister, classmate, roommate, child, friend, spouse, neighbor.

Our greatness is demonstrated by the way we love, act charitably toward others. Right now.

And, every day, every moment is a new opportunity to love, to forgive and to be the light of the world.

But, as we know, greatness does not come about literally overnight.

Even sporting competitors, the players on a team know this. Novak Djokovic, the current Wimbledon, U.S. Open and Australian open champion did not win these 3 tournaments merely by playing well for a day... or for the practice session the day before. Years of effort go into a championship, into greatness.

His greatness is measured over a much longer time period and so is ours.

The greatest commandment of love, then, is an invitation to practice ...more than to competition.

[_06_-greatness not overnight] Love – charity – calls us to a slower pace than the latest highlights on the television news or ESPN Sportscenter.

Love, is shall we say, more a documentary than a highlight ... a work in progress ... perhaps, the History Channel.

Love and charity invites us to consider not only --
• What have I done for you lately?
• Or what have you done for me lately?
• But rather what have I done..what have you done...and what has the Holy Spirit been achieving also through our cooperation?
• what have I already done... to what / whom have I already dedicated myself ? And, thus, where am I going?

[_07_] This is the History Channel... but sometimes we prefer the highlight film of what is only in the present, the current actual moment.

For example, doesn’t it seem easier to deal with the present, the actual issue evil / injustice of the day... or the reason that my team is falling behind...

Love invites us to a longer historical view.

I’m suggesting, however, that love in Christ, invites us to consider the history of his Passion, his cross in our lives.

[_08_] So, we might ask ourselves, not only how – currently – is
• my family
• my marriage
• my child
• my career
• (my ministry)
• TODAY...

But also, to what greatness do I aspire? Where is the love bringing me to this greatness?

And, not only ask ...
• How is my relationship with my spouse right now,... but what led us to be in love...either a year ago or several years ago ...? Not simply asking what changed ... in the intervening years... but what decision did we make, what commitment and why?
• Not only how is my child doing today ...but what love enabled me to accept the challenge of being mother or father?
• Not only how is my professional career going now ... or my studies...but how did I get here? What were my hopes, dreams?

For example, here in college, right now, you are making decisions about the rest of your life. And, someday you will return to this moment – October 23, 2011 and ask yourself – what was I feeling, sensing, commiting myself to ...?

Praying about these things, even of the past, we of this history can help us discover love, greatness ...and the greatest commandment amid our own search for greatness.

Or as Paul says..love is being an even more excellent way amid our own search for excellence... [_fin_]

No comments:

Post a Comment